ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 68 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #286
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE View Post
what is NFC (near field communication)? Just wireless data between monterra units? If so what kind of data I wonder?
Well, once again I would ASSUME that a brand new top of the line unit would control their new wireless HD cameras, which are coming out at the same time... but Garmin is very vague about it, and they only actually list the oregon as controlling the video units.

I have montana mounts in the car and bike and I do actually like the unit, so I'd definitely be interested in one but I'm just frustrated with some of garmin's weird decisions in general because they made great hardware and then made a potentially great unit mediocre deliberately. The Monterra seems like a ruggedized tablet with a $400 price premium to me. And I dunno maybe it's worth it for toughness
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #287
lmychajluk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE View Post
what is NFC (near field communication)? Just wireless data between monterra units? If so what kind of data I wonder?
NFC is a very short-range communication protocol. The current Montana has something similar in that you can exchange data w/ other Garmin devices, but I don't think it uses the 'standard' NFC protocols. By switching to the standard protocols, the Monterra should be able to communicate with other devices that adhere to the protocol. One cool function of NFC is that you can buy RFID-type stickers and then program a device to 'react' to the proximity of that sticker (each sticker would have a unique id). So, for example, I can put a sticker under my desktop charger, and program my phone to enable WiFi, launch a particular app, and use an audible ringtone while near the sticker, and maybe switch back to 3G/4G and 'vibrate' when it leaves the proximity of the sticker. For the Monterra, you may have a sticker on each of your bikes, and have the Monterra switch to a 'Dirt' profile when on your dirtbike, and a 'Road' profile when on your road bike, and then maybe a 'Car' profile when in your car.

The MP3 functionality could be related to licensing costs. AFAIK, any commercial MP3 encoders/decoders still require a license, which has a fee payable to somebody.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #288
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Who the hell has an iPod anymore?
My iPod [touch] is probably my most used "carry" electronic device. If "used" means how much I'm interacting with a given device, aside from my PC and maybe my radio (I suppose listening might be thought of as passive interaction) it might be my next most used electronic device that I have. Funny thing, I pretty much never use it to listen to music. Mostly the calendar, the browser, the notepad, the timer and then a handful of apps...
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #289
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I was up in WI riding with a guy that has one of those Death Valley models. Pretty funny watching him go nuts because the old tech RX in that unit couldn't connect to Sats when we were in heavy woods.
It was more like the old guy, not the old tech. It did lose signal on occasion but if I sat for a second or two it was right back. Heavy woods did mess with it a bit. But still better than the OTHER guy with the Montana...just sayin.
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #290
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
And exactly what "mark" would that be? A 10 year old GPS with limited data handling, the inability to use the latest map sets, a GPS receiver that can't hold a satellite lock if it's a cloudy day, an external power connector that falls apart if you try to unplug it more than twice, a display so dim you have to use a flashlight to see it in the daylight and a battery that might last long enough to boot up the unit? That "mark"?

You're right of course - nothing for you here.

Just wondering who died and left you "gps god"? j/k well sort of.
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #291
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
Just wondering who died and left you "gps god"? j/k well sort of.
"god"?...well, no. But I did sleep in a Holiday Inn last night.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #292
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
My iPod [touch] is probably my most used "carry" electronic device. If "used" means how much I'm interacting with a given device, aside from my PC and maybe my radio (I suppose listening might be thought of as passive interaction) it might be my next most used electronic device that I have. Funny thing, I pretty much never use it to listen to music. Mostly the calendar, the browser, the notepad, the timer and then a handful of apps...
Fair enough but I would also say the touch is not yer average iPod. Some people might have the tiny ones but the days of the old music player iPod have been over for a while.

I still have an iPhone 3g I use like a touch for all the stuff you list too. I think MOST people have smartphones nowadays, so It still strikes me as weird that Garmin chooses to hobble such a rudimentary feature.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 11-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #293
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
The MP3 functionality could be related to licensing costs. AFAIK, any commercial MP3 encoders/decoders still require a license, which has a fee payable to somebody.
Well if a $13 no-name unit can have it but Garmin can't spare the profit margin on a $700 unit, again I'd say that's some poor decision making in Olathe.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 11-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #294
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Fair enough but I would also say the touch is not yer average iPod. Some people might have the tiny ones but the days of the old music player iPod have been over for a while.

I still have an iPhone 3g I use like a touch for all the stuff you list too. I think MOST people have smartphones nowadays, so It still strikes me as weird that Garmin chooses to hobble such a rudimentary feature.
I was perplexed when I learned that this device would not come with a cellular radio - even if it only supported Cellular Data it would have been a better decision in my opinion. But, it is what it is as they say. I encourage folks to tell Garmin what features they want/expect in a GPS device. The current Garmin Product Planning Board is way off the mark these days and needs some consumer feedback. JMHO

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 11-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #295
lmychajluk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I was perplexed when I learned that this device would not come with a cellular radio - even if it only supported Cellular Data it would have been a better decision in my opinion. But, it is what it is as they say. I encourage folks to tell Garmin what features they want/expect in a GPS device. The current Garmin Product Planning Board is way off the mark these days and needs some consumer feedback. JMHO
Garmin tried to make a phone. I don't think it went over very well, and doubt they'll try to get back into that space anytime soon. With WiFi, though, and the ability of many phones now to act as WiFi hotspots, I don't think this is a major limitation.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #296
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Garmin tried to make a phone. I don't think it went over very well, and doubt they'll try to get back into that space anytime soon. With WiFi, though, and the ability of many phones now to act as WiFi hotspots, I don't think this is a major limitation.
Yes, the nuvifone® was a very bad decision on Garmin's part and I agree they are not going to go down that road anytime soon. But, I think the Monterra could have been a niche GPS-with-a-cellphone product for real outdoor rugged use. I would have bought one just so I didn't need to carry my iPhone with me on the (off)road.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 11-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #297
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,033
Quote:
But what does it offer for 500+ dollars over a phone we all likely already have? it's Waterproof?
For ME, it might offer a waterproof, glove friendly, Android based platform, with easy to use laptop routing (Basecamp-love it or hate, its a way to get stuff from laptop to GPS). Those are the 3 things still missing, imho, from using a phone. Although, crafty's Dual Sport Maps website/app is slowly solving the mapping dilemma. It's pretty damn slick.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:54 AM   #298
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
For ME, it might offer a waterproof, glove friendly, Android based platform, with easy to use laptop routing (Basecamp-love it or hate, its a way to get stuff from laptop to GPS). Those are the 3 things still missing, imho, from using a phone. Although, crafty's Dual Sport Maps website/app is slowly solving the mapping dilemma. It's pretty damn slick.
Right, and it makes you seriously wonder why music wouldn't be in a simpler, more portable device like the oregon, they have HD video and wireless control of helmet cams, and not music for a snowboarder or X games type crowd? It's nuts.

Those people are not going to 'upgrade' to a monterro simply because of heft.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 11-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #299
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
NFC is a very short-range communication protocol. The current Montana has something similar in that you can exchange data w/ other Garmin devices, but I don't think it uses the 'standard' NFC protocols. By switching to the standard protocols, the Monterra should be able to communicate with other devices that adhere to the protocol. One cool function of NFC is that you can buy RFID-type stickers and then program a device to 'react' to the proximity of that sticker (each sticker would have a unique id). So, for example, I can put a sticker under my desktop charger, and program my phone to enable WiFi, launch a particular app, and use an audible ringtone while near the sticker, and maybe switch back to 3G/4G and 'vibrate' when it leaves the proximity of the sticker. For the Monterra, you may have a sticker on each of your bikes, and have the Monterra switch to a 'Dirt' profile when on your dirtbike, and a 'Road' profile when on your road bike, and then maybe a 'Car' profile when in your car.
There is NFC for enabling Data Exchange between Monterra's and other Android Beam scenarios. As for using NFC for "other" things, we'll just have to see what comes at release. Most of the more "interactive" services like starting/stopping Apps require Root level access for the "launcher app" and I'll be shocked if Garmin allows Root access to third-party Apps.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 11-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #300
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
For ME, it might offer a waterproof, glove friendly, Android based platform, with easy to use laptop routing (Basecamp-love it or hate, its a way to get stuff from laptop to GPS). ....
The Monterra has a Projected Capacitive Touch Display, like your smartphone. If you want it to be "glove-friendly" you will have to mode your gloves or use gloves designed for Capacitive Touch displays.

What do you mean by "easy to use laptop routing?"

Quote:
Right, and it makes you seriously wonder why music wouldn't be in a simpler, more portable device like the oregon, they have HD video and wireless control of helmet cams, and not music for a snowboarder or X games type crowd? It's nuts.

Those people are not going to 'upgrade' to a monterro simply because of heft.
I don't believe the Monterra's target market are X-gamers -- or even us for that matter. Although, I do think it is an interesting device and might be of interest to some riders.

Dan
All Things GPS