ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 64 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #316
lmychajluk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,584
There's also these types of things - GloveTips
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #317
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
There's also these types of things - GloveTips
Yeah, most of these devices require you to compromise the glove by piercing it so that a conductive wire can be feed inside the glove to make contact with your skin. I personally don't like that idea but I'm sure they work OK.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #318
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Garmin still hasn't managed to coordinate Marketing and Development...

Notice the Sunrise Dashboard? Notice that the Spec Sheet says:

Quote:

The Monterra's target market are outdoor professionals. They are use to working in all-weather conditions -- their smartphone isn't and doesn't have, in most cases, the "GPS" related software or hardware.
Interesting.

And I guess I do not qualify as an "outdoor professional" whatever Garmin says that is.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #319
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Interesting.

And I guess I do not qualify as an "outdoor professional" whatever Garmin says that is.
That's funny, Garmin changed the image I had linked to on their website that showed the Sunrise/Sunset Time Dashboard. Yet, they still say they don't have Sun/Moon info.

If you browse the Garmin.com/Monterra website you'll get a feel for the rather broad definition Garmin has of an Outdoor Professional.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 11-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #320
BobM
DualSport

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
... The Monterra's target market are outdoor professionals. They are use to working in all-weather conditions -- their smartphone isn't and doesn't have, in most cases, the "GPS" related software or hardware. ..... as noted in several of the PR Unit reviews on the internet, the Monterra has a "Glove Mode" ....
Well, I just got off the phone with Garmin Outdoor Product Tech Support and I was told the Monterra and the Montana have they same screen, so whatever the Montana does the Monterra will do the same. He also said the target market was "hikers, hunter, and fisherman" - no mention of Professionals. He was also unaware of a "glove mode" setting.

This probably doesn't contribute to my decision making process on whether to get a Monterra to replace my Montana, as I don't really think what I was told is correct.

I also just got off the phone with TouraTech USA as I noticed their website has a Motorcycle GPS page and they list the Monterra and the Montana. Unfortunately, they cannot explain why they listed the Monterra there, other than to say it fits a Montana cradle and is really like a Montana ...

"Thoroughly Confused in Ontario"
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #321
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
Well, I just got off the phone with Garmin Outdoor Product Tech Support and I was told the Monterra and the Montana have they same screen, so whatever the Montana does the Monterra will do the same. He also said the target market was "hikers, hunter, and fisherman" - no mention of Professionals. He was also unaware of a "glove mode" setting.

This probably doesn't contribute to my decision making process on whether to get a Monterra to replace my Montana, as I don't really think what I was told is correct.

I also just got off the phone with TouraTech USA as I noticed their website has a Motorcycle GPS page and they list the Monterra and the Montana. Unfortunately, they cannot explain why they listed the Monterra there, other than to say it fits a Montana cradle and is really like a Montana ...

"Thoroughly Confused in Ontario"
Bob, you're doing what many folks are doing - asking questions. Unfortunately, most of these people being asked haven't even seen a Monterra yet for more than 5 minutes - not their fault. But, I would expect Garmin On The Trail product support to know a bit more than that. Maybe the person was describing the fact that both screens are "touch screens" and both have the same resolution?

I'll be helping out my friends at TT-USA with a short Blog piece once the Monterra is released.

Garmin's PR:
“Monterra provides outdoor professionals and enthusiasts with the ultimate ability to customize their GPS device to perfectly suit their personal and professional needs,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin’s vice president of worldwide sales. “With a four-inch, color, multi-touch display, unique 3D MapMerge, and the ability to create new apps, Monterra takes the outdoor GPS to a whole new level, and users are able to take advantage of the features no matter how adverse the terrain may be.”
I was an outdoor professional once in my life (Wildlife Ecologist) but back then this much computing power wouldn't have fit in my cabin. I think we fit nicely into the "outdoor enthusiasts" bucket and Garmin even has a Off-road Moto reference on their Monterra website.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 11-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #322
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Bob, you're doing what many folks are doing - asking questions. Unfortunately, most of these people being asked haven't even seen a Monterra yet for more than 5 minutes - not their fault. But, I would expect Garmin On The Trail product support to know a bit more than that. Maybe the person was describing the fact that both screens are "touch screens" and both have the same resolution?

I'll be helping out my friends at TT-USA with a short Blog piece once the Monterra is released.

Garmin's PR:
“Monterra provides outdoor professionals and enthusiasts with the ultimate ability to customize their GPS device to perfectly suit their personal and professional needs,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin’s vice president of worldwide sales. “With a four-inch, color, multi-touch display, unique 3D MapMerge, and the ability to create new apps, Monterra takes the outdoor GPS to a whole new level, and users are able to take advantage of the features no matter how adverse the terrain may be.”
I was an outdoor professional once in my life (Wildlife Ecologist) but back then this much computing power wouldn't have fit in my cabin. I think we fit nicely into the "outdoor enthusiasts" bucket and Garmin even has a Off-road Moto reference on their Monterra website.
So now we are expanding the Monterra concept to enthusiasts...

I noticed they had a dude and his qWad on the "off road" section that described who in Garmin's mind are the "outdoor professionals". The qWad dude is wearing a glove, which looks stupid because this is not a glove friendly device (they should had shown him removing one glove to operate the device to be more realistic with the product's capability). And of course, one could conclude he really represents the outdoor enthusiast bucket you talk about - he needs a work around to use the device.

Yes, I understand some tools are available to make gloves work on such devices. But then, it will also make the gloves work on many other devices already available for the enthusiast (notice, I'm leaving the outdoor professionals out of this bucket of users).

I'd rather be riding!

Old 11-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #323
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:

And BTW, I too once was an outdoor professional. Such a device would have been handy on my many outdoors job duties (agricultural engineer). That was before I became an economist and desk jockey, and now degraded to an outdoor enthusiast.

I'd rather be riding!

Old 11-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #324
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
@EmmEff - you have an Oregon on your bike, is it OK?
I suspect the screen is very similar to that of the Montana- it's a resistive touchscreen.

Admittedly, it's not perfect and I do not do anything on-the-fly, even setting a waypoint. This makes it a bit awkward, at least compared to my eTrex Vista where a double-press of the "stick" would set and save a waypoint.

I find the touch sensitive screens work best using my fingernail as opposed to the "pad" of my finger.
EmmEff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #325
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
I suspect the screen is very similar to that of the Montana- it's a resistive touchscreen.....
The reason it is prolly *not* a resistive is to properly support android which pretty much requires multi-touch and gestures. Typical resistives like those in the other products won't support that....
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:03 AM   #326
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
The reason it is prolly *not* a resistive is to properly support android which pretty much requires multi-touch and gestures. Typical resistives like those in the other products won't support that....
He's talking about his old Oregon.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #327
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
He's talking about his old Oregon.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
Ahh, it's early. Packing stuff up for a desert overnighter!!
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #328
BobM
DualSport

The GPS Tracklog website has a Pre-Release Monterra review that was posted Nov 4, 2013.

First Looks at the ... Monterra

Bob
Old 11-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #329
BobM
DualSport

Just saw this interesting post in the GPS Tracklog archives - it was posted Oct 2, 2013.

It's interesting as it gives a bit more insight on Garmin's approach to Android-based GPS.

Check the review at: http://gpstracklog.com/2013/10/android-garmin-nuvi.html

Bob
Old 11-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #330
bkg123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
This really isn't a question, more of an observation. I notice that if you speak German or Dutch there seems to be several Youtube videos, and web sites detailing the Monterra. But nothing at all in the U.S.. I wonder what thats all about? Im putting on my conspiracy theory hat!