ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 37 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #496
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,193
So do I buy one now or wait? Seems like a lot of bugs right out of the gate.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #497
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
So do I buy one now or wait? Seems like a lot of bugs right out of the gate.

JG
I suppose that depends on how critical the issues I've posted are to your riding. I've risen a lot of miles with the unit and it got me where I wanted to go. Although I don't depend upon Saved Routes (pre-planned in BaseCamp) very much. I use Tracks to follow and just auto-Route to my Destination to see what happens with a give set of variables (route settings).

If you read through the "Bugs" list and find something that is an inhibitor to your riding style, then I suppose if I were you I'd wait until that issue was fixed. Otherwise, it's a cool device and I expect it will get some attention from Garmin to fix the bugs that have the most "noise" from customers.

Don't you just hate it when all you really wanted was a..."Buy it now!!!" answer.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:45 PM   #498
rider911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
One of the things that I would really like to be able to do is access a profile change easily that changes the map set as well. I want to be able to navigate via tracks on a non routeable off road mapset that I use and when I come out of the bush be able to switch to CN and auto route to the nearest fuel. To do this on the Zumo is quite a few screen taps.

Is it possible for the Montana or Monterra to do this better than the Zumo?

I thought you mentioned something about the "minor roads" zoom level but I cant find it now. Is the Montana or Monterra able to deal with this major gripe any better?

The MP3 player in the Monterra is a big draw point for me but I dont want to rule out the Montana if its a better "real" GPS disregarding the bells and whistles of the Monterra with its Android platform.

Thanks for your help

08 KTM 300 exce (small)
12 KTM 500 exc (medium)
07 KTM 990 Adv (large)
rider911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:54 AM   #499
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
Thanks for the comparison comments.

I looked at the VIRB but it didn't seem to have a remote view screen/app - only a ON/OFF switch via ANT+, but the picture quality looks good.

Is the picture above "corrected"? The pole on the right seems more curved than I get with my 25mm wide angle lens.

I use GPicSync for geo-locating, even though my Lumix has a built-in GPS.

Bob
Here are a few pictures I took with the VIRB and Monterra, for comparison.

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:49 AM   #500
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider911 View Post
The MP3 player in the Monterra is a big draw point for me but I dont want to rule out the Montana if its a better "real" GPS disregarding the bells and whistles of the Monterra with its Android platform.
At this point in time, that's pretty much my opinion of the Montana VS Monterra - the Montana to me is a better gps. But if you need all the bells and whistles of the Monterra, then its gps is good enough.

I just find the Montana's profiles, shortcuts, better fonts and colours as well as the much higher detail when zoomed out make the Montana better for me.

I hope Garmin doesn't phase out the Montana.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #501
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Here are a few pictures I took with the VIRB and Monterra, for comparison.

Uhhhh, I usually try to have all of the photo subjects in focus when I do photo comparisons. I'm afraid your Monterra pic is a bit out of focus.

I've never had a problem setting focal length and if one uses a better Camera App than the "android default" you have many more options for things like: separate focus and light readings, multi-point light readings, etc. Not that I'm suggesting the Monterra is a better camera. It certainly isn't, just saying...

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 11-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #502
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider911 View Post
One of the things that I would really like to be able to do is access a profile change easily that changes the map set as well. I want to be able to navigate via tracks on a non routeable off road mapset that I use and when I come out of the bush be able to switch to CN and auto route to the nearest fuel. To do this on the Zumo is quite a few screen taps.

Is it possible for the Montana or Monterra to do this better than the Zumo?

I thought you mentioned something about the "minor roads" zoom level but I cant find it now. Is the Montana or Monterra able to deal with this major gripe any better?

Thanks for your help
The Monterra "Profile" manages all settings including Maps. If you setup a Profile that uses different maps you'll get them enabled when you change profiles. Granted, there isn't a user-programmable-shortcut to put a Profiles Icon on your Home Screens but I have found little issue with using the Profile change from the Notifications "pull-down" -- which you can do from anywhere unlike the Montana's Shortcuts. Although I must say I like both approaches. Currently there is a bug in the map switching via profile change. The maps that you choose to be Enabled/Disabled are changed correctly but CN, if installed, must be toggled manually (on/off or off/on) to instantiate the change. This has been reported.

Profile Change via Notifications Screen:

As for Map detail, on the Monterra secondary roads go away at .5mi vs .8mi on the Montana. Keep in mind that the Montana didn't get the .8mi visibility for almost a year after release. It will only happen if enough customers request it. Even though I raised this as an issue during Dev, I personally don't find this negatively impacts my riding/navigation but TETO.

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 11-23-2013 at 10:25 AM
Old 11-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #503
konfucius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
13. There needs to be a user initiated Search for New GPX Data app or widget so that when transferring new data to the unit via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth it can be seen by the Outdoor Apps.
You can get around this by killing the Garmin Outdoor App, it will immediately restart and initiate a search for new maps and gpx-files.

There are apps/widgets that can do this, but haven't found a working one yet, so I put a battery percent app (BatteryBot) on the home-screen that has a shortcut to battery usage and Garmin Outdoor App is always on the top of the list.

The Dropbox connection is a great feature, I have mapped the \garmin\gpx\ -folder as a dropbox-folder on the Monterra and just exports the routes/tracks from BaseCamp to the corresponding folder on my pc.

Its a great unit, but Garmin has to put a lot of more work into the garmin specific features before they are on par with Montana. But in total its great to combine android features with garmin features.

Its a keeper, but I will not sell my Montana...
konfucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #504
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by konfucius View Post
You can get around this by killing the Garmin Outdoor App, it will immediately restart and initiate a search for new maps and gpx-files.

There are apps/widgets that can do this, but haven't found a working one yet, so I put a battery percent app (BatteryBot) on the home-screen that has a shortcut to battery usage and Garmin Outdoor App is always on the top of the list.

The Dropbox connection is a great feature, I have mapped the \garmin\gpx\ -folder as a dropbox-folder on the Monterra and just exports the routes/tracks from BaseCamp to the corresponding folder on my pc.

Its a great unit, but Garmin has to put a lot of more work into the garmin specific features before they are on par with Montana. But in total its great to combine android features with garmin features.

Its a keeper, but I will not sell my Montana...
Agreed - on all counts. I was using the same method (Force Quite GOA) during testing but I had to stop because it was masking some issues with GOA crashing. That's why I suggested #13. Forcing an App to stop can cause unpredictable conditions within the App and/or it's data. Oh, I was using the "Settings" shortcut set to Battery.

Right now, the Montana is my backup for when I run into an issue on the Monterra. It will stay in my GPS-arsenal.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 11-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #505
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 786
so garmin shit the bed once again? meaning antiquated/unstable software, nothing really new as far as features go, can't use gloves, no useful buttons

Most smartphones with an app or three and a otterbox armor or lifeproof case are better and much cheaper than both the Montana and Monterra by a wide margin. You can pick up used phones (ios or droid) for about $100 at any pawn shop or craigslist, add a few apps and a case and call it a day.

With my phone and apps I can create, save and follow a route, cache maps, download and use MVUM's (which is huge for us that live out west) , send my location and tracks to others, search for things along my route, add many vias to any route, search for things along my route, listen to music, take decent photos, can be located (if within coverage areas), if/when they get lost or are broken you're not out nearly as much money and most/all info can be retrieved via backups
mpatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #506
Dell_dude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Just got mine yesterday.

Working on getting it together.

So far the GPS is pretty amazing. It's gonna take some time to learn all of these features.

One disappointing thing is that the City Navigator NA DVD won't load. It just sits on the connecting to server screen. I can't fault the GPS for that, still a pisser though.

Also, working on getting the home screen customized. Seems like compass bearing data won't display. See below.

If I use the Compass app, it displays the bearing just fine.

Anyone have any insight to this, or do I need to contact Garmin support about that too?

Also going to pick up the Garmin temp sensor. Will be handy to know the current temp when on my DRZ.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:11 AM   #507
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAZ View Post
That wasn't exactly my experience and I beat mine pretty good. I had a USB connector pull off the PCA on one though.

I suppose my point was the functions & features. Buttons are awesome and for vehicle use the screen was good in its day - if brought to current technology I think they'd be very good although I wouldn't mind just a little larger.

If they were as bomb proof as you desire, would you like them better than the current offerings as far as function and features?
If they could hold up and they had more modern/faster chipsets then I'd be happy with them.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #508
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dell_dude View Post
Just got mine yesterday.

Working on getting it together.

So far the GPS is pretty amazing. It's gonna take some time to learn all of these features.

One disappointing thing is that the City Navigator NA DVD won't load. It just sits on the connecting to server screen. I can't fault the GPS for that, still a pisser though.

Also, working on getting the home screen customized. Seems like compass bearing data won't display. See below.

If I use the Compass app, it displays the bearing just fine.

Anyone have any insight to this, or do I need to contact Garmin support about that too?

Also going to pick up the Garmin temp sensor. Will be handy to know the current temp when on my DRZ.
Well, now there's an interesting bug. Before v2.20_1.15.00 there were several Data Fields that were not working. I personally checked that Data Field and it was working. Do report this. I will too.

Oh, you can make a screenshot by pressing and holding the Power & VolDwn buttons together. The screenshot will be in a folder called Screenshots inside the Pictures folder. You can have them show in the Gallery under Screenshots by showing the Notifications page and touching the screenshot you just took.

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 11-24-2013 at 07:47 AM
Old 11-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #509
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
so garmin shit the bed once again? meaning antiquated/unstable software, nothing really new as far as features go, can't use gloves, no useful buttons

Most smartphones with an app or three and a otterbox armor or lifeproof case are better and much cheaper than both the Montana and Monterra by a wide margin. You can pick up used phones (ios or droid) for about $100 at any pawn shop or craigslist, add a few apps and a case and call it a day.

With my phone and apps I can create, save and follow a route, cache maps, download and use MVUM's (which is huge for us that live out west) , send my location and tracks to others, search for things along my route, add many vias to any route, search for things along my route, listen to music, take decent photos, can be located (if within coverage areas), if/when they get lost or are broken you're not out nearly as much money and most/all info can be retrieved via backups
Well, I suppose you should just use one of those inexpensive cellphones. By the way, my gloves seem to work reasonably well with the Monterra or any other PCAP display.

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 11-24-2013 at 01:30 PM
Old 11-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #510
FaroutX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post

What about the monthly service fee for that smartphone? In less than a year of service fees you could have a Monterra, I use a dumb phone (no data plan) now and save $35 a month, I plan to get a Monterra and keep the dumb phone, and in 19 months it will have paid for itself and then the savings really begin!