ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 79 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #661
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton View Post
Iphone for now
That's the easiest config on the SMH10R... just make sure to pair the iPhone first using PHONE pairing. Then pair the Monterra using Multipoint pairing. Worked for me.

Just be aware; as I noted in my Review, the Monterra Nav Audio will come through the SMH10R at full volume.

I currently have my SMH10R setup for the Monterra as Phone and the iPhone as Phone Selective Pairing. This allows me to get A2DP audio from the Monterra as well as Nav Voice Directions. The iPhone is only for calls and Hotspot tethering to the Monterra.

Be warned that in the above config, the Monterra does not mute the Music when it transmits Nav Audio. The Nav Audio volume is increased over the music volume; not a good situation and I have reported it to Garmin.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 12-04-2013 at 12:04 PM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #662
cotton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Cool2

Thanks once again, believe I was doing just the opposite. Will work on this
tonight.
cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #663
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Tip for the day...

Mac Users: If you have, or want to have, CNNA installed on your Monterra and want to purchase Lifetime Map Updates, here is the easy way to get Garmin Express to play nice.

Copy the Monterra's GarminDevice.xml file to your SD Card/Garmin/ folder. When you want to check/update your maps, remove your SD Card from the Monterra, place it in a USB reader and connect to your Mac. Garmin Express will see the SD Card as your Monterra. Once you've updated your Map (which you should install on the SD Card) just return the SD Card to the Monterra.

When you do a Monterra software update, you need to remember to copy the GarminDevice.xml file to the SD Card again and overwrite the old one.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 12-05-2013, 12:23 AM   #664
Miszel
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I've noticed a little bit more serious problem: map rendering. It refers to topo maps and some objects only. Please note examples below: foot & bicycle trails, some labels and highway bridge.
I've checked Garmin's Slovakia TOPO v.4 (upper screens, Monterra vs. Basecamp) and PL Topo 2013.30 (bottom screens).
Could you replicate this issue on other maps?
Cheers,
Mike

PS. My Montana displayed these maps perfectly....
Attached Images

Miszel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:58 AM   #665
onesaintsfan
BigJohnHart

Oddometer: 1,296
MP3 conflicting information ( owner please)

Does the new Monterra have a MP3 player. I want to buy one and use it on my boat and it be both a music source and a GPS. Thanks in advance. I see no mention of a MP3 player in the manual, but in specs it says it does have one
2005 Chaparral 210ssi " Native Sun II "
onesaintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:09 AM   #666
MN_Smurf
Capt_Confusion

Oddometer: 2,430
It has one, and being an Android device, even if it didn't have one, you could get one from the Google Play store.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #667
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Routing

There are a number of known/reported problems with along-road routing. I was expecting an update to fix much of this long before now.
  • Routing over 50mi will often not calculate a route or will not finish calculating a route.
  • Make sure you DO NOT have more than one routable map for the same geographic area loaded. Even if you only have one turned ON, they will interfere with route calculation.
  • Transferred Routes (even if created on the same exact map version) will often not calculate no matter what the distance. I have not figured out what it is in the data that causes this condition but Garmin Dev have example Routes that consistently fail to calculate.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 12-05-2013, 08:59 AM   #668
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miszel View Post
I've noticed a little bit more serious problem: map rendering. It refers to topo maps and some objects only. Please note examples below: foot & bicycle trails, some labels and highway bridge.
I've checked Garmin's Slovakia TOPO v.4 (upper screens, Monterra vs. Basecamp) and PL Topo 2013.30 (bottom screens).
Could you replicate this issue on other maps?
Cheers,
Mike

PS. My Montana displayed these maps perfectly....
Report this to Garmin with examples as you did here. Map rendering issues (TYP file not being rendered correctly) have been reported (many times) but we need to overwhelm them with input it appears.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 12-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #669
cotton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
  • Transferred Routes (even if created on the same exact map version) will often not calculate no matter what the distance.
As in transferred from base camp or from another device?
cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #670
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton View Post
As in transferred from base camp or from another device?
As in transferred from BaseCamp.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 12-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #671
marco polo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
There are a number of known/reported problems with along-road routing. I was expecting an update to fix much of this long before now.
At the risk of asking the obvious, how in hell does Garmin release these devices to market with flaws like that in such basic functions? Having bought a Montana two years ago for on-road riding using routes created in Basecamp (maybe I shouldn't have, but that's another story), my experience over that two-year period has been less than stellar, shall we say. Now it sounds like the Monterra is following in the Montana's footsteps (but not in a good way). It's almost like Garmin reinvents the wheel with every new device release. Is there something very basic that I'm missing here?
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #672
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco polo View Post
At the risk of asking the obvious, how in hell does Garmin release these devices to market with flaws like that in such basic functions? Having bought a Montana two years ago for on-road riding using routes created in Basecamp (maybe I shouldn't have, but that's another story), my experience over that two-year period has been less than stellar, shall we say. Now it sounds like the Monterra is following in the Montana's footsteps (but not in a good way). It's almost like Garmin reinvents the wheel with every new device release. Is there something very basic that I'm missing here?
I don't think you've missed anything. My experience is that the Market dictates behavior. By that I mean, in this case, if Garmin releases a product that does not function well but the sales numbers are reasonable they [Garmin] have no incentive to fix any defects in the product.

I'm waiting until mid-next-week and if Garmin does not provide an update that fixes most of my tracked issues, I will be updating my Review and removing the Monterra from my Recommended List.

I don't believe it's a good practice to support bad behavior in any context.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 12-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #673
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,347
SWMBO just pointed out the biggest advantage of the Monterra. It's a web browser you can use in the bathtub.

Sent from my Monterra using Tapatalk
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #674
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
SWMBO just pointed out the biggest advantage of the Monterra. It's a web browser you can use in the bathtub.

Sent from my Monterra using Tapatalk
An expensive Bathtub Browser....

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 12-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #675
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,347
Quote:
An expensive Bathtub Browser....
It's too bad the Tempe doesn't work underwater. ;)
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote