ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 12:14 PM   #61
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 7,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
I can't help but think that Garmin will impose limitations to ensure this doesn't happen.
Agree 100%. Up till now Garmin has done EVERYTHING to insure that you end up owning multiple GPS's.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #62
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Agree 100%. Up till now Garmin has done EVERYTHING to insure that you end up owning multiple GPS's.
For this community - I would agree with you. We are hybrids in the GPS user world. We are not the norm. When you look at the number of Garmin devices in the various market segments, it's hard to not find a GPS that meets your needs - except for the Adventure riding community.

We want it ALL - because we do it all. We drive, we ride, we go places the vast majority of folks only read about and some places they never will. We want features that only this community makes use of yet we still want all of the On Road touring features - because we drive/ride to where we ride!

I'm not sure we will every see a GPS that meets ALL of everyone's needs/wants. But, new devices aimed at our market segment give us an opportunity to, in a constructive manner, let Garmin know what those wants/needs are in context to the value the function provides us.

So, let's start talking about those things (features/functions) that we don't have in the current Moto-friendly units (Montana™ & zumo™) and really want in this new Monterra.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #63
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
So, let's start talking about those things (features/functions) that we don't have in the current Moto-friendly units (Montana™ & zumo™) and really want in this new Monterra.
You're right - rather than whine about the past, we should be telling Garmin how to make this one perfect, or at least as close as they can for a wider group of users which includes us.

I really do get the impression Garmin is listening, and sometimes watching, so if we give constructive feedback on the device, we may all get a better return on our investment.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #64
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 5,892
Quote:
And exactly what "mark" would that be? A 10 year old GPS with limited data handling, the inability to use the latest map sets, a GPS receiver that can't hold a satellite lock if it's a cloudy day, an external power connector that falls apart if you try to unplug it more than twice, a display so dim you have to use a flashlight to see it in the daylight and a battery that might last long enough to boot up the unit? That "mark"?

You're right of course - nothing for you here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
+1

If they're not interested, then why are they chiming in at all?
I think Mark was making note that he rides everywhere and doesn't have any issues with his GPS..... Emphasis on "He rides"...... a lot.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #65
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear View Post
I think Mark was making note that he rides everywhere and doesn't have any issues with his GPS..... Emphasis on "He rides"...... a lot.
That's great. But not everybody wants to buy their next gps in the Flea Market or pawn shop. There's been a whole lot of progress in the world of satellite navigation, and some of us appreciate that.

And we ride too.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #66
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear View Post
Yeah...with only 18,300 miles on my odometer so far this year I don't get to ride nearly as much as some.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #67
/dev/null
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Yay. Bluetooth will finally work. And as an Android developer, this will be a ton of fun. Possibly even profitable.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:08 PM   #68
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/null View Post
Yay. Bluetooth will finally work. And as an Android developer, this will be a ton of fun. Possibly even profitable.
Cool...what kind of apps are you thinking about?

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-27-2013, 01:37 AM   #69
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 369
I doubt that it can't be rootable, someone will figue it out and then you will have a rugged high quality GPS hardware and you will be able to do whateve you want with it, and loads of quality supports and acessories for it , as it shares the box with the montana

if not, just buy a rumbo for half the price:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/15/runbo-x5-x3-x1/
webmonstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:50 AM   #70
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
For this community - I would agree with you. We are hybrids in the GPS user world. We are not the norm. When you look at the number of Garmin devices in the various market segments, it's hard to not find a GPS that meets your needs - except for the Adventure riding community.

We want it ALL - because we do it all. We drive, we ride, we go places the vast majority of folks only read about and some places they never will. We want features that only this community makes use of yet we still want all of the On Road touring features - because we drive/ride to where we ride!

I'm not sure we will every see a GPS that meets ALL of everyone's needs/wants. But, new devices aimed at our market segment give us an opportunity to, in a constructive manner, let Garmin know what those wants/needs are in context to the value the function provides us.

IMO it's pretty simple. Take the screen, the profiles, customizable data fields, and track handling from the Montana. Add everything else from the 665 and I would be a very very happy camper. They wouldn't even need to come up with anything new, just merge the two platforms together.

BTW, I honestly believe that if Google decided to get into the hardware end of the market, they would make exactly what we want, and even if they didn't, a developer that understands what we want would come up with the apps we need. Open Source Rules!

That's why I'm actually somewhat optimistic about this new unit. I figure even if Garmin can't figure it out hopefully some one else will. Just root the hell out of the Monterra and put what WE want on it.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #71
empedrado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
IMO it's pretty simple. Take the screen, the profiles, customizable data fields, and track handling from the Montana. Add everything else from the 665 and I would be a very very happy camper. They wouldn't even need to come up with anything new, just merge the two platforms together.
Add the Custom Maps feature and that would be my dream GPS. Right now on long trips I use both the 665 and the Montana.
empedrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #72
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Aside from the MP3 Player (which we know the Monterra will have) what functions/features of the zumo660 are you looking for?

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #73
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Aside from the MP3 Player (which we know the Monterra will have) what functions/features of the zumo660 are you looking for?
Not a Zumo feature, but it would be awesome if we could have a weather layer on the map. Or alerts, anyway.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #74
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Yes, and BT which the Monterra also has of course. Also 200 via points in a route, sorting routes, tracks, and waypoints by name, not location.

Oh, I did think of something else I'd like to see is voice activated navigation.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #75
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Not a Zumo feature, but it would be awesome if we could have a weather layer on the map. Or alerts, anyway.
Uhhh yes that is a ZUMO feature.