ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 68 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 02:24 AM   #751
kave
Gravel rules

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Not sure why they would tell you to use WebUpdater(?). There is no update out there and unless Garmin has just enabled USB updates I don't know that it would do any thing for you.
I know. I got this standard answer after 5 days from support. Their conclusion was a standard reply to everyone. Your unit needs an update or something is wrong with the hardware. If solution 1 fails you have to send it in.

I have left feedback as well, but I thought I would let Support know there are som serious issues as well.
kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #752
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Setup Map/Map Info Listing

Is there a way to have the Map Info listing show which maps are installed, rather than some seemingly random location that requires a press/drill-down to see which map it is?

thanks
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #753
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Installing DVD maps on replacement device

Brought Montana back and bought Monterra. Had installed CNNA and 24K on Win XT laptop via DVD, along with BC and Map Installer, and had installed both above maps to Montana.

Can I use these same copies on my Monterra now? Do I need to contact Garmin? I've tried installing them and it appears I can get 24K on the device, but CNNA stalls out at Connecting To Server Screen with internet connection. Tried the Batt/Force Close of GOA several times and a retry.

Had college-educated 24 yr old son helping, he could not believe how inconsistent GOA is! ;-) Sometimes it shows 24K installed under Map Info and other times it would say "Topo 2008" was installed, even after we deleted that file many times (and it comes back). I noticed 24K was copyrighted in 2008, are these maps the same file?

Right now I can drill down under Map Info and it says Topo U.S. 24K West and the map display screen says Ready To Navigate, but there is no road detail like I see when Topo 2008 is "installed."

Crying and laughing is all I got at this point, so would love some help. thanks!
Old 12-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #754
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post
Is there a way to have the Map Info listing show which maps are installed, rather than some seemingly random location that requires a press/drill-down to see which map it is?

thanks
First, there is nothing "random" about the Monterra. You can always reach Map Information by pressing the "Menu/Options" button on the lower right of the display face. From there you press Map -> Map Information. The maps listed are "installed". You can turn them ON/OFF (Enabled/Disabled). Currently the Monterra lists the Map region and not the map Name. If you want to see the map Name and License, press and hold the installed map listing for a second and you will see the details.

Quote:
Brought Montana back and bought Monterra. Had installed CNNA and 24K on Win XT laptop via DVD, along with BC and Map Installer, and had installed both above maps to Montana.

Can I use these same copies on my Monterra now? Do I need to contact Garmin? I've tried installing them and it appears I can get 24K on the device, but CNNA stalls out at Connecting To Server Screen with internet connection. Tried the Batt/Force Close of GOA several times and a retry.

Had college-educated 24 yr old son helping, he could not believe how inconsistent GOA is! ;-) Sometimes it shows 24K installed under Map Info and other times it would say "Topo 2008" was installed, even after we deleted that file many times (and it comes back). I noticed 24K was copyrighted in 2008, are these maps the same file?

Right now I can drill down under Map Info and it says Topo U.S. 24K West and the map display screen says Ready To Navigate, but there is no road detail like I see when Topo 2008 is "installed."

Crying and laughing is all I got at this point, so would love some help. thanks!
If you unlocked Maps to the Montana you can not, without Garmin's assistance, use them on the Monterra. The unlocked Topo maps are not a problem. If they are installed in BaseCamp then MapInstall can copy them to your Monterra.

Maps are installed in the mnt/sdcard/Garmin directory internally or mnt/ext_sdcard/Garmin directory if you have an SD Card installed properly.

As for Road detail, do you have your Map Detail set to "MOST"?

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #755
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,059
Quote:

I have no idea what's going on with Topo but CNNA is licenced to one device only. If you call Garmin and explain, they probably will allow you transfer the licence to the Monterra, but phoning is the only way you'll get an answer quickly. Send email and it'll be a couple of days before you hear, most likely.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #756
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=DRTBYK;23001502]First, there is nothing "random" about the Monterra. You can always reach Map Information by pressing the "Menu/Options" button on the lower right of the display face. From there you press Map -> Map Information. The maps listed are "installed". You can turn them ON/OFF (Enabled/Disabled). Currently the Monterra lists the Map region and not the map Name. If you want to see the map Name and License, press and hold the installed map listing for a second and you will see the details.
QUOTE]

Sorry I wasn't clear, obviously I can follow the same path to Map Info with no randomness there, I was referring to the places listed as seemingly random.

I've been to Bandon, but I'd like to meet the guy that thinks displaying "Bandon, Bridge, Cape Arago, Allegany, Winchester B" to someone in CA is helpful as a Map Info listing for 24K, as opposed to "Topo U.S. 24K West," which is what I get after drilling down.

thanks
Old 12-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #757
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I have no idea what's going on with Topo but CNNA is licenced to one device only. If you call Garmin and explain, they probably will allow you transfer the licence to the Monterra, but phoning is the only way you'll get an answer quickly. Send email and it'll be a couple of days before you hear, most likely.
That's what I figured, thanks for the confirmation.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #758
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

[QUOTE=StuInFH;23001683]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
First, there is nothing "random" about the Monterra. You can always reach Map Information by pressing the "Menu/Options" button on the lower right of the display face. From there you press Map -> Map Information. The maps listed are "installed". You can turn them ON/OFF (Enabled/Disabled). Currently the Monterra lists the Map region and not the map Name. If you want to see the map Name and License, press and hold the installed map listing for a second and you will see the details.
QUOTE]

Sorry I wasn't clear, obviously I can follow the same path to Map Info with no randomness there, I was referring to the places listed as seemingly random.

I've been to Bandon, but I'd like to meet the guy that thinks displaying "Bandon, Bridge, Cape Arago, Allegany, Winchester B" to someone in CA is helpful as a Map Info listing for 24K, as opposed to "Topo U.S. 24K West," which is what I get after drilling down.

thanks
Garmin likes to use the same bad code over and over again. The Montana had the same Map Name issue when it was released. They fixed it so it showed the actual Map Name about six months later.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 12-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #759
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Maps are installed in the mnt/sdcard/Garmin directory internally or mnt/ext_sdcard/Garmin directory if you have an SD Card installed properly.

As for Road detail, do you have your Map Detail set to "MOST"?[/QUOTE]

We had installed a copy of 24K West in both of those locations (located internal address by looking to see where the demo files that are listed reside) and turned it On under Map Info, but nothing shows at all now (white screen even at Most), unless I zoom out to 50 miles and then I can see a land mass. Except when I press the zoom out button too fast, then I get GOA is not responding, would you like to close it? lol

Will have to put my Topo 2008 file back in internal storage, at least I had detail down to neighborhood with that. Took Topo 2008 off device so we could see if 24K West was installed and working (vs. it just looking like it was installed and turned on, but no display).

Maybe 24K West just appears to install correctly (but is lacking authentication of some sort) and when Garmin gives me some secret code or step it will all work out. Fingers crossed.

thanks for confirming addresses
Old 12-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #760
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Make sure you only have ONE copy of 24K Topo West installed on the Monterra. You don't need any "secrete code" from Garmin to use 24K Topo. You most likely are seeing the Worldwide Base Map only because you have either to many map segments on the Monterra or you have duplicates. My advice would be to remove all of the maps you have copied to the Monterra and then use MapInstall to install the Maps you want on the Monterra.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 12-17-2013, 06:48 AM   #761
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,156
With 24K on floptana, I started by putting the whole map (SW) on the unit. It may be an issue with too many map segments but large swaths of map would just disappear and never come back.

So then I tried putting just small portions. That sort of worked better but meant I'd have to load maps before I'd roam which is a big hassle. It's also so data dense that map draws can be painfully slow, to the point of being unusable unless backing way off on map detail. With 24K being routable and having POI's I found it didn't live very friendly with CNNA either. If it routes on one and then the other is active, the unit would puke. Even if you "disable" one or the other, POI searches would generate duplicates that clog up your "recent finds" list (something I use a *lot*) with POI's it can't route to later - it super barfs if you accidentally pick one and annoyingly it won't tell you anywhere which map they are from so you can avoid the choke.

Bottom line, I just don't bother with 24K anymore. I just run 100K and the free filedepot topo. They live fine on the unit and between the two there's not much data on the 24K that isn't on the two. 24K has only a little more that's routable over CNNA so the very small edge it has on backcountry routing and detail isn't worth it to me. It is annoying that there's so much trouble using a[n expen$ive] map on an "advanced" unit...

YMMV...
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #762
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

I would agree with SteveAZ regarding the value of 24K US Topo's IF you are going to use 100K Topo along with CNNA -- and maybe other DEM enabled maps (free topo's).

One of the features of Garmin MapInstall is that it will show you the accumulated map segments for the maps you want to install. Using MapInstall will keep you form having these types of issues unless you just have bad map data; which can happen.

It is also not good to have more than ONE routable map installed for a given geographic area. As SteveAZ pointed out, ALL maps installed are indexed and if there is conflicting route data strange things can happen. This true for ALL Garmin GPS receivers.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 12-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #763
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
So, should I un install the 24k? Or just disable it until I need/want it? When I do want it I can disable the CNNA, correct? So far I have had no issues with routes or searches with the 24k disabled. My only issue (currently) is wonking altitude readings. I have tried to set it with a known altitude, I ended up below sea level, tried using GPS to set ele., still ended up below sea level. Sometimes she will show correct, sometimes not.
Suggestions?
SOP Dirt-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #764
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOP Dirt-Rider View Post
So, should I un install the 24k? Or just disable it until I need/want it? When I do want it I can disable the CNNA, correct? So far I have had no issues with routes or searches with the 24k disabled. My only issue (currently) is wonking altitude readings. I have tried to set it with a known altitude, I ended up below sea level, tried using GPS to set ele., still ended up below sea level. Sometimes she will show correct, sometimes not.
Suggestions?
For now, depending upon software updates from Garmin, I would do one of the following (your choice):
  1. Remove it from the Monterra or,
  2. Rename the 24K topo map file by changing the .IMG ending to something like .IMGXXX - this will keep the Monterra from indexing the map (you won't see it in the Map Info list) but you can easily rename it on the Monterra when you need/want it without having to use a computers.

Regarding GPS elevation at Sea Level, remember that there is a GPS error +/- so you could easily show readings below sea level. My Monterra's GPS Elevation is usually within +/- 5ft. of a known - like my house.

As for the Altimeter - Garmin needs to improve the software. I can set my location and within an hour the Altimeter will be off by 100ft.

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 12-17-2013 at 10:32 AM
Old 12-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #765
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,156
For me, on the other device 24K just doesn't play friendly with CNNA and "disabling" one or the other doesn't really help.

I don't load maps to the internal and I've got a spare SD with just topos for AZ and nearby - no CNNA. I've only ended up putting it in a couple of times though. I just haven't found 24K to be more useful enough to bother with the minor hassle to swap the SD.
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote