ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 71 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #766
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,243
System Software Update just out for the Monterra!

Go to System Settings\About Monterra\System Update while connected to WiFi to find it.

(Going from memory on the path here - my Monterra is updating itself so I can't remember the exact path, or version number, or the changelog...)
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #767
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Thanks!! That was easy. Sure hope things work....
SOP Dirt-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #768
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,191
Well, some things will work...

Here is a summary list of fixes in this update:

* Improved address search
* Fixed direct route line so that it updates with change in position
* Fixed Sight 'N Go so that the pointer locks on the proper direction
* Fixed Geocache App crash when using in various languages
* Improved compass calibration process
* Fixed Chirp pairing process
* Fixed 24 hour format
* Fixed keyboard appearing on home screen after performing a to Home navigation
* Fixed OTA update so that it will show a time greater than one hour

Most of these fixes have to do with Geocaching and search using CNEU maps. That should tell you something about what community has Garmin's ear. Our requirements are rather low on the list. Maybe next month(?).

I'm running through my bug list and if I find things that are fixed I'll let you know.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 12-17-2013 at 04:08 PM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:32 PM   #769
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Of all the "bugs/Issues" on my list only two were addressed with this update:
  • GOA Crash: Using Large Data Field Dashboard on the map and changing orientation.
  • Time To Destination: When Routing a route over 1hr in duration the Time to Destination field only indicates 1hr.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 12-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #770
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post

Most of these fixes have to do with Geocaching and search using CNEU maps. That should tell you something about what community has Garmin's ear. Our requirements are rather low on the list. Maybe next month(?).
The professional outsdoors, what was it called it again group?

Well, I will assume they will eventually cover the bugs on your list. Don't give up on us, we need you to keep Garmin straight for the rest of us.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #771
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
The professional outsdoors, what was it called it again group?

Well, I will assume they will eventually cover the bugs on your list. Don't give up on us, we need you to keep Garmin straight for the rest of us.
Your assumption is not a good one. There are a few Moto focused folks that Garmin has invited to beta-test but our voices don't add up to much compared to Geocachers and a country market like the EU. Your voice, and that of anyone who is even thinking about the Monterra (or any new GPS), is important if you want to see features and functions that meet your/our needs.

Garmin listens to "units sold". No sales, they are all ears. You want something fixed you need to tell Garmin.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 12-18-2013, 01:30 AM   #772
kave
Gravel rules

Oddometer: 483
DRTBYK: Interesting to see Garmin officially referencing to Garmin Express to update the Monterra:
http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=6135
kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:08 AM   #773
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by kave View Post
DRTBYK: Interesting to see Garmin officially referencing to Garmin Express to update the Monterra:
That is a first for the Monterra. It's actually easier to update through WiFi, but at least this is more consistent with their other units.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #774
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,624
Quote:
Your assumption is not a good one. There are a few Moto focused folks that Garmin has invited to beta-test but our voices don't add up to much compared to Geocachers and a country market like the EU. Your voice, and that of anyone who is even thinking about the Monterra (or any new GPS), is important if you want to see features and functions that meet your/our needs.

Garmin listens to "units sold". No sales, they are all ears. You want something fixed you need to tell Garmin.

Good point Dan.

However, in terms of "units sold", now we have the advantage to learn from others' experiences before we make a decision and actually buy it. Perhaps Garmin knows about this as well, that in today's market, for some products, opinions of fellow "enthusiasts" are the best marketing strategy.

I'm not buying this unit or other high price Garmin product until I can make sense if they will work for me or not. This thread here and your reviews, and also of others who will have eventually purchased the Monterra and will talk about it and their experiences with it on their real use (for us, Motorcycle riding), are providing key information for my decision. As well as the improvements Garmin will be making or not to this unit. Especially this is the case for an unit that uses Android, something new for equipment designed for navigation and for Garmin.

If Garmin is not directing the Monterra to the motorcycling community, and won't support the features we want, I will not buy this unit. It is already a problem with gloves operation, so chances are this is not for me in the first place.

Right now, the unit that has the most interesting features for my needs is the BMW Navigator V. However, not having a BMW motorcycle, it seems I would not be taking full advantage of its features. And although I could afford it, the price is simply not right for me.

It is winter, it is wait and see time. Reading about these units is fun enough for me for now.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 08:03 AM
Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #775
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Quote:
For now, depending upon software updates from Garmin, I would do one of the following (your choice):
  1. Remove it from the Monterra or,
  2. Rename the 24K topo map file by changing the .IMG ending to something like .IMGXXX - this will keep the Monterra from indexing the map (you won't see it in the Map Info list) but you can easily rename it on the Monterra when you need/want it without having to use a computers.

Regarding GPS elevation at Sea Level, remember that there is a GPS error +/- so you could easily show readings below sea level. My Monterra's GPS Elevation is usually within +/- 5ft. of a known - like my house.

As for the Altimeter - Garmin needs to improve the software. I can set my location and within an hour the Altimeter will be off by 100ft.

Barometric altimeters are only accurate if calibrated constantly. Any change in atmospheric pressure means your altitude reading will change even if stationary. I always use gps altitude.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #776
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
That is a first for the Monterra. It's actually easier to update through WiFi, but at least this is more consistent with their other units.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. The use of Garmin Express is for Map Updates NOT software updates which are still only supported via OTA. Express is rather "dumb" regarding the Monterra, you can put any version number in the GarminDevices.xml file and Express will tell you it is "up to date".

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 10:34 AM
Old 12-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #777
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
Barometric altimeters are only accurate if calibrated constantly. Any change in atmospheric pressure means your altitude reading will change even if stationary. I always use gps altitude.
Generally if set to calibrate "automatically" it uses longer term gps elevation to "calibrate" so it sort of "calibrates" continuously. These aren't very good semantics IMO.

They combine the gps elevation filtered over the long term with the barometric sensor filtered for the immediate and short term.

In my experience this can be useful for handheld use since you get good immediate rates of change (IVSI) - what baro is good for. Usually there's too much pressure "noise" that makes this not so good in/on vehicles...
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:15 AM   #778
kave
Gravel rules

Oddometer: 483
I can confirm adress search works with European maps :)
I will try it on the bike tomorrow and see if the spinning map is corrected.
Now I can try it out in the car.
kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:45 AM   #779
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
I can confirm adress search works with European maps :)
I will try it on the bike tomorrow and see if the spinning map is corrected.
Now I can try it out in the car.
Glad they got that fixed for you folks in the EU. Now maybe they will fix some of the major issues with Routing for all of us.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 12-19-2013, 04:45 AM   #780
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Nice to see your Monterra review in GlobeRiders Dispatch #120 Dan.