ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 63 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #781
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,044
As you could tell from the Newsletter, Helge has been busy but nice to have some more eyes I think.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #782
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Size of Worldwide Basemap?

Can someone please take a quick look at the file size for the basemap that is listed under Map Info but can not be toggled on and off?

"Helper" inadvertently deleted from device and I'm wondering if it will fit in Internal Storage along with my CNNA and 24K West 2 installed anyway.

thanks
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #783
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

The Basemap is 48.64MB and will certainly fit in the Internal storage -- unless you've filled it up with Android Apps...

Oh, let us know if you have any issues with both CNNA and 24K West Topo installed at the same time.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 12-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #784
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
The Basemap is 48.64MB and will certainly fit in the Internal storage -- unless you've filled it up with Android Apps...

Oh, let us know if you have any issues with both CNNA and 24K West Topo installed at the same time.
Thanks. I read the warnings, so I will be ready to move one or the other out if any issues.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #785
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Helpful Garmin Support

Garmin Support was fairly helpful with my issues so far. Kinda sorta. After four emails with returned receipt and purchase receipt etc. they said couldn't transfer CNNA from returned Montana where I had installed the maps initially to Monterra cuz Montana was never registered and I didn't have SN. :-( I was told to go back to store and look for unit, cuz nothing they could do for me w/o SN. It was returned in July. I mentioned I was looking at DVD and unique Product Key in my hand and wasn't ready to just go away and bingo, the kid said he would try the Product Key to cross ref my SN. yay

Deleted Base Map has been different. Long story shorter, 5 phone calls and 4 techs later, including supervisor, team huddle, looking on devices, asking me where USB port is, etc., there were three failed attempts to email the zipped file, and much time spent trying to push it down via shared computer. Couldn't use comm plug in cuz terra doesn't show as MSD.

Dropbox not allowed by their policy. I asked for CD/DVD in the mail, but got "not set up for that." Huh? I got that answer three times or so, no matter how I asked why. When I pressed too hard why they were willing to email me the file (that I said would obviously allow me to share it with the world), but wouldn't dropbox or snail mail it, they kept saying not set up for it. I asked, no burner in the building? Then got, look...we're just not going to do it. I asked why not if they tried to email three times already and he said, look, it is your fault you lost it. LOL!

He had me on that one! I acknowledged that point and asked for the logic behind their willingness to accept risk of emailing it but not snail mail and he said again, look...we're trying to help you out, but you are the one that lost it. It started to go around in circles like that again so I said I was done with that argument and he hung up on me, guess he thought I was going to my plan B.

My Plan B is they said I could go ahead and ask someone else for it when I mentioned I didn't have the only unit in the world. (but maybe the only one with deleted base map) lol

Their final solution/suggestion after emails bombed was to take it back and get another one! I said that was kinda silly and would look for another source.

StuInFH screwed with this post 12-19-2013 at 12:35 PM
Old 12-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #786
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

I Need Copy of Worldwide Basemap

If I may trouble someone to get a copy to me by whatever means is easiest for you, please let me know. Garmin Support said it would be ok. ;-) Will happily paypal cost of cd and postage of course.

thanks!

(my Plan C is to go to REI and sneak a copy off of their display model)
Old 12-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #787
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post
If I may trouble someone to get a copy to me by whatever means is easiest for you, please let me know. Garmin Support said it would be ok. ;-) Will happily paypal cost of cd and postage of course.

thanks!

(my Plan C is to go to REI and sneak a copy off of their display model)
Sending you a PM...

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 12-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #788
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Sending you a PM...

Thank you!!! I can see the world again. :-) Took less time to fix that than write about it, let alone the Support calls. :-(
Old 12-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #789
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,637
What is the quality of the World Basemap that they advertise? Is it useful at all, or for example, does it have more detail than the basemap offered in older Garmin units?
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #790
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

It's a very low detailed map with some DEM data that is required on the device and is the default map when you zoom out past 50mi (80km) scale. It is for basic orientation only. Add the maps you need.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 12-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #791
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,637
Quote:
It's a very low detailed map with some DEM data that is required on the device and is the default map when you zoom out past 50mi (80km) scale. It is for basic orientation only. Add the maps you need.

Okay, thanks. I'd want topo maps for all of North America. I don't see why they separate Canada and the US.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #792
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Data Licensing is why you can't buy good Topo's for ALL of NA in one package. No worries, you can load lots of maps on the Monterra but it's best to install them on your computer so you can use MapInstall to load them on the Monterra. In doing so you can see how may map segments are being loaded - there's a 4000 segment limit and Topo maps typically have high segment counts.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 12-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #793
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Well, I bit the bullet and did a Factory Reset on my Monterra. This is not something that should be done without exploring all other avenues as it is quite destructive regarding your data and Apps. Meaning they all get removed. I spent the past three hours reinstalling Apps and Data to my Monterra, BUT the Compass is now within a reasonable proximity of alignment.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 12-20-2013, 02:59 AM   #794
kave
Gravel rules

Oddometer: 475
Gosh, I have kept my Monterra away because I couldnt use it at all before.
Now after the recent updates I just tried activating som old routes I have arround that worked perfect on my 276C, no joy. In best case it just crashes, otherwise it locks up and asks if I lime to quit or wait.

I cant belive how bad this unit works.
The only thing I can do is activate a track and remember to select visible on map. Then I can sort of navigate after it.
Further, it seems to disconnect itself from wifi at random, only solution is to switch off and on wifi.

Today I cant recommend this unit to anyone for anything. For basic car use it lacks features that existed 10 years ago on the most basic units.
kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #795
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kave View Post
Now after the recent updates I just tried activating som old routes I have arround that worked perfect on my 276C, no joy. In best case it just crashes, otherwise it locks up and asks if I lime to quit or wait.
It would be nice if that quit or wait screen could be held off a bit longer before displaying. I find that if I have scrolled or zoomed out too fast for it to catch up, that display pops up annoyingly often. I'd rather just wait for it to catch up than answer the question all the time.