ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 59 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #76
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Uhhh yes that is a ZUMO feature.
I didn't know that. Wouldn't be enough to convince me to buy a Zumo, but I look forward to seeing if the Monterra will have it.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #77
empedrado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Aside from the MP3 Player (which we know the Monterra will have) what functions/features of the zumo660 are you looking for?
I have seen nothing that says it will have a MP3 player, but if it does sign me up
empedrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #78
empedrado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by empedrado View Post
I have seen nothing that says it will have a MP3 player, but if it does sign me up

Well went back and saw that it does support MP3 so now I want one. XM and XM weather are nice on my Zumo, but my Montana is so much better at tracks.
Give me some music and great navigation, screen, track logs capability and custom maps of the Montana and I am sold. That is until I find all the bugs of early adoption like we had with the Zumo and the Montana. But Garmin for me eventually gets it right
empedrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #79
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I didn't know that. Wouldn't be enough to convince me to buy a Zumo, but I look forward to seeing if the Monterra will have it.
I don't know about Weather Map overlays which would require connection to a realtime source but the Monterra does have NOAA Weather Radio and SAME alerts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garmin
Never miss vital information (or entertainment) with Monterra’s built-in FM radio and NOAA weather radio with SAME (Specific Area Message Encoding) alerts - get watches and warnings related to your location.
Works for me...

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #80
DabsAlot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
I clicked on the link to check it out. I started to read the article and when the author used the phrase "these ones" in the first sentence, I stopped reading.....I no longer trust him as a journalist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmonstro View Post
I doubt that it can't be rootable, someone will figue it out and then you will have a rugged high quality GPS hardware and you will be able to do whateve you want with it, and loads of quality supports and acessories for it , as it shares the box with the montana

if not, just buy a rumbo for half the price:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/15/runbo-x5-x3-x1/
2005 Gas Gas 280 Pro
1975 Yamaha TY-175
DabsAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:05 AM   #81
/dev/null
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Cool...what kind of apps are you thinking about?
Probably just screw around with it at first. If it's just a nice weatherproof Android phone with a "rear" facing camera and gyros, there'd be a ton of neat stuff you could do with it. Would love to have it recording video in a loop with gyro data...all the time (that it's powered).
Old 06-28-2013, 04:19 AM   #82
webmonstro
A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabsAlot View Post
I clicked on the link to check it out. I started to read the article and when the author used the phrase "these ones" in the first sentence, I stopped reading.....I no longer trust him as a journalist.
Didn't get that , but anyways just google "rugged andoid" and you will find a whole bunch of models that are comming out with most of the features the monterra will have, including gorilla glass and IP67 certification

what some people don't seem to understand is that by offering a android platform there WILL be 3rd party software avalable for adding capability adn fuction to the device ! Otherwise it would not make any sense offering such a device in the first place !

Before if you wanted road navigation you would have to get a nuvi and for tracks you would need a 60 ou 76 , etrek or whatever but your stuck with a small screen !

Waterproof ? glove freindly ? ZUMO !

With the montana Garmin offers all this in one packedge !

But your allways limited to working with the software that garmin provides

Not with the monterra !

Just look at the amount of GPS mapping programs on google play !

I would not be surprised if in the near future all new garmins become andoid based
webmonstro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:38 AM   #83
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/null View Post
Probably just screw around with it at first. If it's just a nice weatherproof Android phone with a "rear" facing camera and gyros, there'd be a ton of neat stuff you could do with it. Would love to have it recording video in a loop with gyro data...all the time (that it's powered).
I'd really love to have a looping vid cam app as well.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:12 AM   #84
lmychajluk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by /dev/null View Post
I'll dread trying to mount it in such a way that I can see and reach the screen and the camera is pointing the right way....
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:09 AM   #85
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
I'll dread trying to mount it in such a way that I can see and reach the screen and the camera is pointing the right way....
This thing is sure starting to take on the looks and function of a Smart Phone with out the phone part.

I wonder if Garmin is seeing a potential market share loss with more people using their phones for Navigation?
Old 06-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #86
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
My Montana pretty much is mounted that way now on both my KTM's and my DR. Of course that puts it out there so that it gets hit by bugs,dust,and mud all the time. My camera lens is always covered in crap

Albie screwed with this post 06-28-2013 at 07:19 AM
Old 06-28-2013, 07:11 AM   #87
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
I used to have my Montana set up that way on my Suzuki DR650; I just had to reach down and move the brake hose out of the way and take pictures. Can't do that now because it's behind a windshield.

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:03 AM   #88
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

I don't see Garmin moving to "open" platforms for their GPS Handheld or On Road brands. In fact I read a quote from the Garmin Brand Manager stating just that. The Monterra is not aimed at your typical outdoor user. It's primary market is the Outdoor Professions where there is a need to be able to add technical and business applications to a full function field-ready GPS device - like the Montana. Folks like us are an added benefit.

My first concern is the capacitive touchscreen and how it will function in the elements: Dust & Water. There was a lack of any verbiage in the press release and the Overview & Spec sheet relative to "glove friendly". So, if this screen technology is the way of the future there needs to be a big shift in the motorcycle glove industry to make gloves with capacitive touch-ready leather. Especially waterproof gloves! It's easy to modify a regular glove with some conductive thread stitched into the finger tips but waterproof gloves...well you get the picture. The tech is there and there are a few glove products on the market but not enough.

Time to send an email to KLIM and BMW (my two favorite glove makers).

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 06-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #89
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
My first concern is the capacitive touchscreen and how it will function in the elements: Dust & Water. There was a lack of any verbiage in the press release and the Overview & Spec sheet relative to "glove friendly". So, if this screen technology is the way of the future there needs to be a big shift in the motorcycle glove industry to make gloves with capacitive touch-ready leather. Especially waterproof gloves! It's easy to modify a regular glove with some conductive thread stitched into the finger tips but waterproof gloves...well you get the picture. The tech is there and there are a few glove products on the market but not enough.

Time to send an email to KLIM and BMW (my two favorite glove makers).
Honestly, that doesn't concern me in the least bit. My iPhones in an Otterbox have been through hell. I've got mine wet, dusty, exposed to very hot and cold temps, and never had an issue.

There's even a conductive adhesive now that you can apply to the tip of gloves that will work with the screens.

Also, I'm anticipating being able to use voice commands to do some of the functions, much like I can with my iphone.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #90
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Honestly, that doesn't concern me in the least bit. My iPhones in an Otterbox have been through hell. I've got mine wet, dusty, exposed to very hot and cold temps, and never had an issue.

There's even a conductive adhesive now that you can apply to the tip of gloves that will work with the screens.

Also, I'm anticipating being able to use voice commands to do some of the functions, much like I can with my iphone.

I've been using AnyGlove for Leather™ for a while now and it works fine for about a month and then you need to reapply. At that rate it is a bit expensive. I'd much prefer to see the Glove makers use the pretreated leather when they Mfg their gloves.

Dan
All Things GPS