ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 56 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 02:33 PM   #991
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseRider View Post
Issue is that Sena wants a password and mine doesn't provide the dialog box to input ... Of course if I pair the Monterra as A2DP, no problem.

Interesting on my GS-911, the dialog box does appear, but not until after the Monterra says it cannot pair due to faulty pin ...

On the success side, my Monterra now interfaces with GoPro over wifi and Inreach SE through bluetooth. That is really cool. Guess I didn't have voice guidance with Montana, so I can wait a little longer.

When Monterra pairs with GS-911 and Sena, I will be really happy.
The issue with the GS911 is that the Monterra does not support the SPP (Serial Port Protocol) Bluetooth profile which the GS911 requires. Sell your GS911-- hexcode are coming out with a Wi-Fi version of the GS911 this year (so they say) and it should have no problem connecting with the Monterra since the GS911 will have an embedded web server and app.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #992
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dell_dude View Post
Crap.

I was hoping that the 5.0 FW release might help (the R model gets it later).
I just ran a few tests and it appears since I did my first Bluetooth connection testing, the Monterra is no longer supporting selective channel pairing. I have a couple of other apps I was using and they no longer connect via the config I set up previously.

This is not a good omen for the Monterra's Bluetooth features if Garmin is minimizing them.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 03-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #993
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,074
I am happy with my Montana, but when the Monterra starts coming together I think I will try to trade my 276c to get an Android gps from someone who isn't happy with their's for one like the Monterra with these capabilities...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?

FatChance screwed with this post 03-10-2014 at 05:41 PM
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #994
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch II View Post
I agree Google maps works well on my Galaxy S3 as well, but only when I have a cell signal, which I often don't when I'm out in the puckerbrush. Then it's a brick of little value. The Note is bigger and has a nicer screen but it is still pretty fragile compared to the GPS. I'm no cheerleader for Garmin but I do keep hoping the Monterra bugs get sorted because I see that as much more the wave of the future than cell phones.
As Dan so astutely noted, I posted my comment probably in the wrong thread...:) I only mentioned this here because this new GPS is Google capable...and my Note 3, with the free app "Navigator," seems like the "light" version of what this new GPS will do...

You are right....durability prolly goes to the GPS. :)

I also like the fact that the maps are cached in the app...no WiFi needed!

Ride on,
Old 03-10-2014, 06:07 PM   #995
Dell_dude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post

This is not a good omen for the Monterra's Bluetooth features if Garmin is minimizing them.
And is especially aggravating given that is THE reason why I waited and bought the Monterra vs buying a Montana some time ago.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:24 PM   #996
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Not the right solution but the Monterra does have a very good media system if you want to put your music on your SD Card.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 03-11-2014, 03:28 AM   #997
kave
Gravel rules

Oddometer: 475
How does the Monterra compare to other Android devices?
I only use Macs and iOS devices, and the experience of surfing the web, typing text and interacting with the device is so much worse on the Monterra. iOS devices usually know where I tap with my big fingers, but it seems the Monterra has no intelligence in this regard.
No short commands available like tapping the top in the browser to get to the top. No Back and forward in the browser etc etc.
If I where to use a phone like that all day long I don't know what to do :)
kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:25 AM   #998
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kave View Post
How does the Monterra compare to other Android devices?
I only use Macs and iOS devices, and the experience of surfing the web, typing text and interacting with the device is so much worse on the Monterra. iOS devices usually know where I tap with my big fingers, but it seems the Monterra has no intelligence in this regard.
No short commands available like tapping the top in the browser to get to the top. No Back and forward in the browser etc etc.
If I where to use a phone like that all day long I don't know what to do :)
Yes, you're spoiled.

I too use Apple products for my "normal" computing/comm activities but I also evaluate other OS's and hardware implementations. As an Open Source OS, it's up to the implementor as to how they want to "customize" Android for their customers. Garmin has done very little customizing of the v4.0.4 OS so you won't find any of the advanced multi-touch features that are typically available on todays more high-volume devices.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 03-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #999
Chazbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Scala G9x Not Monterra Approved; Only Zumo

I called Scala support about an issue I was having with intermittent audio on Music and GPS Turn-By-Turn. They said that the Monterra was not on their approved list. I asked him which other GPS was approved. They said only the Garmin Zumo. I told them that it was working fine with my Monterra most of the time, but I was having audio cutout issues. The controls worked fine. Just no sound. Sometimes.

Silence.

Maybe he had the same affliction as the Scala?

Once I pried his lips open, he said that Bluetooth is very finicky. The Monterra has Bluetooth 4, whatever that is. Supposed to be the latest. Even if the Scala G9x supported that, not everyone implements it the same. Bluetooth is the most un-standard standard out there.

So I will either forget the Bluetooth link to my Monterra and operate like a Montana w/o Turn by Turn and music or learn to live with the sporadic operation. Pains me since my son has a Montana and my gloat factor is dimished.

BTW, music is just fine through my Android Bionic phone.
Chazbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:54 PM   #1000
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazbo View Post
I called Scala support about an issue I was having with intermittent audio on Music and GPS Turn-By-Turn. They said that the Monterra was not on their approved list. I asked him which other GPS was approved. They said only the Garmin Zumo. I told them that it was working fine with my Monterra most of the time, but I was having audio cutout issues. The controls worked fine. Just no sound. Sometimes.

Silence.

Maybe he had the same affliction as the Scala?

Once I pried his lips open, he said that Bluetooth is very finicky. The Monterra has Bluetooth 4, whatever that is. Supposed to be the latest. Even if the Scala G9x supported that, not everyone implements it the same. Bluetooth is the most un-standard standard out there.

So I will either forget the Bluetooth link to my Monterra and operate like a Montana w/o Turn by Turn and music or learn to live with the sporadic operation. Pains me since my son has a Montana and my gloat factor is dimished.

BTW, music is just fine through my Android Bionic phone.
Do you have your phone synced as well? If so, try turning the Bluetooth off on your phone. I bet the issue goes away. Sure sounds like what I just experienced, once I turned the phone BT off the issues went away.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #1001
Chazbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOP Dirt-Rider View Post
Do you have your phone synced as well? If so, try turning the Bluetooth off on your phone. I bet the issue goes away. Sure sounds like what I just experienced, once I turned the phone BT off the issues went away.
At your suggestion I turned the phone Bluetooth all the way off and then I turned the Monterra Bluetooth on. I got audio, both music and turn-by-turn, but still the intermittent skips. Good suggestion though. Thanks.
Many future software revisions for both relatively new units so I am hopeful. Both the Monterra and the Scala G9x perform well for my main uses, but, as the song says, I want it all, I want it all, and I want it Now. But later will do.
Chazbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:47 AM   #1002
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazbo View Post
At your suggestion I turned the phone Bluetooth all the way off and then I turned the Monterra Bluetooth on. I got audio, both music and turn-by-turn, but still the intermittent skips. Good suggestion though. Thanks.
Many future software revisions for both relatively new units so I am hopeful. Both the Monterra and the Scala G9x perform well for my main uses, but, as the song says, I want it all, I want it all, and I want it Now. But later will do.
I would suggest keeping your phone Bluetooth off and remove the pairing on both the Monterra and the Scala and then pair them again. Normally, I'd suggest doing a Master Reset but not unless all else fails. Master Resets on the Monterra completely scrub the device (your Apps/Data) and return it to factory settings.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 03-13-2014, 10:00 PM   #1003
kave
Gravel rules

I took a MTB ride yesterday with the Monterra, couldnt find the dedicated bike gps for some reason.
First, the Monterra is a much better device now with the latest release.
Now it seems everything track related are working as setup, ie it seems to archive everyday, archive is working, I can watch old tracks etc.
Its actually great to be able to share a track to dropbox or mail etc.
One thing I dont know if it is a bug or just a missing feature:
When Ant+ devices are paired and I do record a track the data are not included. For my test I had a hart rate monitor paired, but no sign of logged data in the gpx file.

When activating a route which is very far away it will activate now, I can simulate it fine. It will navigate me from my current position to the start position.

I the trid the route planner and was able to make a route in the route planner. Trying to watch this 1200km route gave me the apps not responding message, but shortly after it woke up again. Maybe this timeout should be adjusted, or it is and Android thing.
I have been very hard on Garmin lately, but now I see the light in the tunnel. It is now a usable device.

Still the compass is off slightly.

I would say for use as a motorbike adv gps it is working now
Old 03-14-2014, 05:26 AM   #1004
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,086
folks with all most recent updates, please provide me with:

android version
gamin nav version
and
wether or not the compass and gyroscope work

thanks !
Old 03-14-2014, 06:41 AM   #1005
kave
Gravel rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
folks with all most recent updates, please provide me with:

android version
gamin nav version
and
wether or not the compass and gyroscope work

thanks !
Android is the same, Garmin outdoor apps package is version 1.18, which is the only thing that changed.