ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 80 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 02:54 PM   #1021
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
I too know about the Compass spinning when using AA Batteries but I haven't seen the "Map spinning" issue.

Is this repeatable for you kave?

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:27 PM   #1022
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,355
Isn't the map spinning what you get when you stop in track up mode?

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #1023
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

I guess folks call it "spinning" since the map is set to Track-Up and the with the "noise" the current position is jumping around so the map is too.

It would be nice if Garmin would include the map/cursor movement in the Auto Start/Stop setting for the Track Recording.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 03-25-2014, 06:26 AM   #1024
kave
Gravel rules

Oddometer: 487
I would say its noise that causes the map to move around on devices without compass when stopping, but with the Monterra which uses a compass it is actually spinning the map arround the pointer. Usually I find the Monterra is better than for example 276C when stopping, because you always know what is in front of you.

Today after I rebooted my device it installed an "Android update". How do I find out what it was?

kave screwed with this post 03-25-2014 at 08:03 AM
kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:26 AM   #1025
420AllDay
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thanks for your battery report Kave, this is helpful and encouraging.

I won a bid for the one Monterra on eBay, $510. I'm skeptical of the seller but really can't lose at this price. I'm looking forward to both the fun and the frustration. I've also ordered an AMPS Rugged mount RAM kit. Both should be here on Friday.
420AllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:03 AM   #1026
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kave View Post
I would say its noise that causes the map to move around on devices without compass when stopping, but with the Monterra which uses a compass it is actually spinning the map arround the pointer. Usually I find the Monterra is better than for example 276C when stopping, because you always know what is in front of you.

Today after I rebooted my device it installed an "Android update". How do I find out what it was?

I don't know what message you saw but is was not a Monterra software update. Most likely a Google App update if you have them setup for automatic updates.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 03-25-2014, 09:21 AM   #1027
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Navigating a Route

Hopefully someone can help, please. I sideloaded a gpx file from memory stick in laptop to Monterra by copy/paste to other gpx locations in Garmin folder. Then used BC to upload the file from Monterra, and converted the now six files showing to routes. (Six tracks were displayed in BC, Sat easy/hard/combined, Sun easy/hard/combined, as expected.) Sent the six tracks and routes to the Monterra via BC, but can only navigate the tracks with the Where To function.

When I select Where To and tap one of the routes under Routes, it hangs for about 10 seconds then jumps to home screen with Loading Maps message over the darkened home screen and then Loading Garmin Services and Searching for gpx Files messages flash in the top border, and then it reverts back to the Where To? screen, listing Recent Finds, Waypoints, etc.

I'm pretty sure I converted the tracks to routes properly, each of the FIVE times, lol.

OK to have the tracks and routes use the same name ("Sat Hard Routes"), right? I let BC default where to install them on the Monterra, and the files do show under the correct tracks and route menus on the unit.

thanks
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:32 AM   #1028
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

When you converted your Tracks to Routes, did you filter the points? Your Routes cannot have more than 50 via points in them.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 03-25-2014, 09:42 AM   #1029
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
When you converted your Tracks to Routes, did you filter the points? Your Routes cannot have more than 50 via points in them.
I just chose the "let BC choose" option, or something like that, thinking it would handle it or at least notify me if there were too many. I'll check it out. thank you
Old 03-25-2014, 08:59 PM   #1030
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post
I just chose the "let BC choose" option, or something like that, thinking it would handle it or at least notify me if there were too many. I'll check it out. thank you

Well, there isn't any such option for track to route conversion and BaseCamp doesn't know what the capabilities are for your GPS--yet!

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 03-26-2014, 02:43 AM   #1031
kave
Gravel rules

In sweden we now have routable maps for the terrain. Its like Topo maps with buildings, paths etc and all is routable in Mapcource/Basecamp. I tried making a route and transferred it to the Montana: no luck. It seemed the Montana didnt like to follow paths at all.
Same maps where used, Basecamp read the map from the Monterra. No avoidance.
I then tried it on my small bicycle gps, Edge 800, no problem at all. It even managed mixed routes where I have a direct "leg" in the middle of the MTB route. I wish Garmin made a slightly larger edge, it would be perfect for motorbikes too. A battery that lasts 16 hours with backligt turned on.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:45 AM   #1032
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Well, there isn't any such option for track to route conversion and BaseCamp doesn't know what the capabilities are for your GPS--yet!
When I selected the track in BC, right clicked and selected "Create Route From Selected Track" the next window is "Track Conversion Options." "Enter the maximum number of via points to create while converting the track to a route." Below that is a box to enter the number. Below that box is a checkbox (that I checked) that says "Choose the number of points automatically."

Then there are the usual OK and Cancel buttons.

Admittedly I used some shorthand below, but is what I wrote so far from the verbatim above that you had no idea what I was referring to? I must be missing something. In any case, I will accept that I was expecting too much for BC to know what a Monterra can handle after it recognizes it. That would involve a few lines of code and a lookup table (if my 70s era programming classes are still relevant.) :-)

"I just chose the "let BC choose" option, or something like that, thinking it would handle it or at least notify me if there were too many. I'll check it out. thank you"
Old 03-26-2014, 09:51 AM   #1033
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Now I put in "50" in the option box, and it works now. Kinda curious what was left out/truncated though? Will have to dig around and see if there is a way to list the via points in the two files and compare. I had read that when some units can't handle the number of via points, the file gets truncated, but not the case with mine. All looked fine using the auto option until I tried to navigate. That is disappointing.

Anyway, looks like it is a go now.

Thanks for your help again!
Old 03-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #1034
kave
Gravel rules

Quote:
There is new functionality in the latest public beta of Basecamp.
You can now chose, per device, to either "Strip Shaping points from routes on transfer to device", and "Simplify Tracks by removing intermediate points".
Since the Monterra always recalculate a route I wonder what will happends if the via points are removed?
Old 03-26-2014, 11:13 AM   #1035
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

New Garmin Monterra (not a typo!)

Yes, and that will be a very useful feature for folks with multiple devices. But Shaping Points and Via Points are not the same so we will have to see how this is really working, The obvious solution for the Monterra is for it to not recalculate saved routes.

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 03-26-2014 at 11:43 AM