ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 05:01 PM   #1096
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Actually, I prefer the Monterra over the Montana for several reasons. One of which is the display durability and the complete customization due to the Android OS. The latest software update (not released yet) is fixing most of my "issues".
I was the one who said I preferred the Montana to the Monterra but the Monterra's improving all the time. The latest software is quite an improvement.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:41 PM   #1097
HotSun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
anybody tried recharging AA batteries in his device? I guess it's wired only to recharge the provided lithium battery not AAs
HotSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:34 AM   #1098
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
You can use alkaline, NiMH or Lithium AA but the unit will not recharge AA's of any kind.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:03 AM   #1099
HotSun
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
You can use alkaline, NiMH or Lithium AA but the unit will not recharge AA's of any kind.
ok thank you. This is a very nice feature of Garmin, I plan to use mine mostly with Panasonic Eneloop
Old 04-15-2014, 09:55 AM   #1100
HotSun
Adventurer

Is there a guide for a newbies to learn all (or most) types of maps than can be used in the Monterra? For example could you put in a worldwide ASTER GDEM V2 topo map or a whole world DIGITAL ELEVATION DATA 3 arc second and then 3D merge it with downloaded google maps of a remote area in Africa/South America/Asia?
Old 04-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #1101
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

As with all Garmin GPS devices, the Monterra supports most Garmin Compatible map sets. If your source provides Garmin compatibility then you can install it.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 04-15-2014, 10:54 AM   #1102
kave
Gravel rules

Oddometer: 466
Today I was introduced to a new problem with the Monterra:
After I started it I got a message " device almost full".
I opened up the settings panel which revealed that I had 12MB of storage left.
The only apps I have installed is Chrome, Virb and dropbox.
The app that takes the most storage is Chrome which takes a wopping 70MB :)
The "funny" thing is that it just leaves out the Camera app or Gallery or what it is called. It has 10 pictures that I have taken with the camera.

How can 6GB of storage just be gone?
The list of apps taking up storage doesn't reveal anything, I would guess 500MB or so.
I have a 16GB SD card inside which has all the maps.

Any ideas where to look?

Edit:
I can't believe how far behind iOS Android is. You can't even tell how much storage an app uses by the apropriate Settings panel.
I am soo glad I don't have to use Android for my daily job.
I looked around in the file system with the third party app "File manager". It seems I have some very large temp files inside "/mnt/sdcard/Garmin/GPX/Archive". Several files are 1 to 1.5GB large.

kave screwed with this post 04-15-2014 at 11:11 AM
kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:45 AM   #1103
HotSun
Adventurer

Does the fact that the Monterra is android-based give access to (significant) maps that could not be accessed with the Montana? Can you have maps on several microSD cards and rotate between them?

Can you keep using Birdseye's maps after your subscription has expired? I guess its biggest advantage is control between the BirdsEye layers and the Garmin Custom Maps layers?
Old 04-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #1104
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kave View Post
Edit:
I can't believe how far behind iOS Android is. You can't even tell how much storage an app uses by the apropriate Settings panel.
I am soo glad I don't have to use Android for my daily job.
I looked around in the file system with the third party app "File manager". It seems I have some very large temp files inside "/mnt/sdcard/Garmin/GPX/Archive". Several files are 1 to 1.5GB large.
kave,

Those aren't exactly "temp" files. Those are your archived Track Logs. You most likely have your Track settings set to record often.

As for Android vs. iOS, there are +'s and -'s to both. Android uses a real file system so you can manage your data as you wish (as long as the Apps let you). With iOS, Apple decides how to manage your data. I prefer iOS on my mobile devices but not on a device like the Monterra.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 04-15-2014, 01:13 PM   #1105
kave
Gravel rules

Oddometer: 466
DRTBYK: well, as a Unix man I like to have access to the file system, but I prefer to use a GUI that really reflects what is under it. When the "What is installed and how much storage it takes up" cant even tell anything worthwhile it tells me the GUI guys have done a really bad job.
To me personally, I do support and installations etc for my work day and I dont like that when it comes to hobby devices like the Monterra.

When it comes to the files in the Garmin/Gpx folder, the large files are called .tmp and they reflect only a single date. I have it set to archive every day, a feature that has been working in January but has now stopped working again. I guess a bug came back again.
A side note: even if I had recording 24/7 since October I dont think it is possible to have 3GB of track logs. A track log that records far more info than the Monterra records is about 1.5MB per 24 hours. In six months that would be 0.36GB.
kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:42 PM   #1106
HotSun
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kave View Post
I've read someone describing the same problem with his monterra a while back. Seemed like Track logs were out of control. Hopefully Garmin fixes it sooner than later. in the mean time if you delete them with File manager does it temporarily fix the problem?
Old 04-15-2014, 04:14 PM   #1107
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotSun View Post
I've read someone describing the same problem with his monterra a while back. Seemed like Track logs were out of control. Hopefully Garmin fixes it sooner than later. in the mean time if you delete them with File manager does it temporarily fix the problem?
I looked back in my issue report log and kave is right on. The buildup of these tmp files should have been fixed (well they no longer stack up on my Monterra) so you should report them to Product Support if you are at the latest software release.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 04-15-2014, 04:46 PM   #1108
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotSun View Post

I've had that happen at least three times, where huge temp files took up all the available free space, then the Monterra crashed continuously as it had no room to do anything at all, like run programs.

I used Android File Transfer to find the problem, and to delete the tmp files. There was no reason to keep them.

There's a 4.59 Gb file listed right over my initials in this screen shot.

And here's another huge one.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 04-15-2014 at 05:02 PM
Old 04-15-2014, 05:04 PM   #1109
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

I should note that this huge temp file issue has not happened to me in a few months now.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #1110
empedrado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I should note that this huge temp file issue has not happened to me in a few months now.
Luckily, I have never had this issue. But is there something we should watch for and quickly delete?
empedrado is offline   Reply With Quote