ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 63 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #1186
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
Montana back to the top of my list now. Maybe Garmin should just sellout to Google or Samsung so they can deliver a consumer ready product.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:57 PM   #1187
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Apple?

Maybe I'll just stick with maps

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:01 PM   #1188
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyk2byk View Post
That reminds me, started playing an MP3 and I was really impressed by the volume this thing is capable of. Then I decided to pause the music but it kept on playing. So I closed the app but the music kept going. So I tried opening a different song, and then two songs wouldn't stop playing. I deleted the app and still the music kept on going.

As for the trip computer I can't change anything from the defaults. It says it's unlocked. I click on the box chose a new setting but it stays with the default setting.
Are you using the default Google Music App or third-party App? If a Factory Reset doesn't work for you, I would call Product Support. I have none of those issues nor have I seen them post-release.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-06-2014, 01:15 PM   #1189
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOP Dirt-Rider View Post
....If this is their flagship GPS for ADV Riders they have missed the mark (they must have been using this unit for guidance). Voice changes, unchecking current tracks, google apps and GOA app failing. Music app failing. Unit is junk as it stands. I will be advising our new riders/students to avoid this unit like the plague. If this next update does not fix the issues I will be returning it, sick and tired of doing resets. Sick and tired of reboots during training rides. Sick and tired of this unit failing. Tired of half assed work arounds.
I understand the frustration...I've been working with this unit for almost a year now--hoping that it would mature to the level that it COULD be. I'm not sure where you got the impression that the Monterra was targeted at ADV moto folks as their "flagship" Adventure & D/S GPS receiver. Quite the contrary, the Garmin On the Trail brand devices only provide the most basic of on-road-like navigation capabilities. If you want that you need to be looking at the zumo™ 390LM or 590LM.

Oh, I have a lot more miles on my Monterra...

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-06-2014, 05:54 PM   #1190
mwinder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
My monterra works. Seldom crashes, cant remember last time it did. Music always works. Just a thumbs up amongst all the trouble many are having.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
mwinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:14 PM   #1191
Chazbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwinder View Post
my monterra works. Seldom crashes, cant remember last time it did. Music always works. Just a thumbs up amongst all the trouble many are having.

Sent from my sgh-i747m using tapatalk
+1
Chazbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:42 AM   #1192
420AllDay
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwinder View Post
My monterra works. Seldom crashes, cant remember last time it did. Music always works. Just a thumbs up amongst all the trouble many are having.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
The same here. I get occasional glitches and bugs surfacing from time to time but am more pleased than I expected to be.

As a nerd and early adopter of tech and gadgets a word of advice - research, research, research. Apply the same diligence you would use when buying a car. Then purchase. If your device does not then live up to your expectations then blame yourself, it's not the manufacturer's fault. Nothing is issue-free, we can only gauge our satisfaction on those known to us and evaluation of those we can live with. It seems some bought blindly, bummer. If you're unhappy sell it on eBay and move on. Just a thought.
420AllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:08 AM   #1193
kave
Gravel rules

Oddometer: 475
I think we need to apply som reason here. I dont see anyone thinking the Monterra was great for anything but as a paperweight in the early firmwares.
It was unusable with many defects that made it unusable for anything.
To expect that half of the functions in the device works at all is no big deal to me, but maybe people with lesser experience have lower expectations

I sure didnt expect Apple quality from the Monterra, but atleast something usable.
I would say that with the latest software its ok for a launch release.
The whole Monterra system is an afterthought, it does not fit in to the Garmin Echosystem at all. Even my Garmin Outdoor watch Fenix is more advanced in that regard.
I am quite sure Garmin will stop selling the device soon. It was an experiment the same way the iQue was. Back to their own Garmin OS and proprietary devices.
kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:01 AM   #1194
Grzelas
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hello, this is my first post on this forum, I would like to begin by thanking all of you for it talks about Monterra that I own.

Maybe I'm wrong but the search algorithm shortest and fastest route is the same. (route for motorcycle or car) Can I have some mistake or some generic error? Map: CNE, Soft: 1.20

As a user Zumo for many years, I am very happy with the upgrade at Monterra.
I would just scale the keys to better serve the gloves and the "search along the active route" - very useful on highways in the search for stations.
Besides, I use Monterra biking and hiking treks and as I said I am so happy - works perfectly. In the end I have one device for everything.
Grzelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:36 PM   #1195
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
"It seems some bought blindly, bummer" What a crock of shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420AllDay View Post
The same here. I get occasional glitches and bugs surfacing from time to time but am more pleased than I expected to be.

As a nerd and early adopter of tech and gadgets a word of advice - research, research, research. Apply the same diligence you would use when buying a car. Then purchase. If your device does not then live up to your expectations then blame yourself, it's not the manufacturer's fault. Nothing is issue-free, we can only gauge our satisfaction on those known to us and evaluation of those we can live with. It seems some bought blindly, bummer. If you're unhappy sell it on eBay and move on. Just a thought.
Some of us did our research. Go back a bit in the thread, see for yourself. IT IS THE MANUFACTURES FAULT. They did not deliver a product as described. False advertisement at the minimum. Telling me and others it is myour fault is BS, pure unadulterated, still in it's liquid form BS. Android is not something new and neither is GPS. Phones have been using this technology for a few years, it is a safe expectation that a company the size of Garmin gets it right when the release the product to the consumer. If I bought something like the Earl tab I would expect many issues, but this is not a startup outfit, Garmin has been around the block for some time. It is just wrong.

FWIW, the Monterra works flawless in my truck......
Old 05-07-2014, 11:52 PM   #1196
kave
Gravel rules

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Some of us did our research.

I agree, but do you think it works fine in the car?
Due to lack of research I have big problems just typing in an adress in the search box. In Europe I always have to type in Country, City and street adress.
If I skip City and just search for a street it times out after a while.
In this regard it's much worse for car navigation than a 4 year old bicycle GPS.

It is a pity, because I would like to like it very much, but I just don't.
kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:57 AM   #1197
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
Quote:
Some of us did our research. Go back a bit in the thread, see for yourself. IT IS THE MANUFACTURES FAULT. They did not deliver a product as described. False advertisement at the minimum. Telling me and others it is myour fault is BS, pure unadulterated, still in it's liquid form BS. Android is not something new and neither is GPS. Phones have been using this technology for a few years, it is a safe expectation that a company the size of Garmin gets it right when the release the product to the consumer. If I bought something like the Earl tab I would expect many issues, but this is not a startup outfit, Garmin has been around the block for some time. It is just wrong.

Send it back to garmin and demand your money back
How else do they know how strongly you feel?
Old 05-08-2014, 08:24 AM   #1198
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
Send it back to garmin and demand your money back
How else do they know how strongly you feel?
I would, and maybe still will. I really want this to work as advertised and my Montana can't seem to maintain a signal during heavy cloud cover. I'll keep bitchin and moanin until Garmin gets it right. Until then I will keep telling students it isn't ready for real world use and to buy something else. Looks like I will have a few hours of stagnant time today, so I will be making a call to Garmin.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #1199
Smackit
Life Is Good

Oddometer: 304
Holding off on the big rant for now, my early impressions...

Purchased a SanDisk Ultra 64GB MicroSD card, re-formatted FAT32, works fine, but I'm not sure why you want to add external memory as it doesn't appear to be useable by the device i.e. Camera can't save pics and vids there. Please point me to the tutorial on using the external SD card for maps/music/photo/app storage.

$700 and I can't even perform a simple turn by turn nav to the grocery store? For $700 you should get the TOPO US 100K and the City Navigator® North America NT maps with lifetime updates. I knew what I was getting going in, but it's criminal for Garmin to not offer a full nav package on a $700 device.

Mac software is very buggy. Does anyone have evidence of Garmin Express Mac working yet?

Not including cellular hardware and support seems pretty lame. I don't care about using it as a phone, but there are plenty of Android and iOS devices that let you slip in a SIM card for data.

I've been using Android phone / GPS solutions for years and always found them to be superior, in terms of flexibility, to anything Garmin offers. What they lack is strong GPS hardware, rugged construction, glove based touch displays, and a visible LCD in bright sunlight. Garmin gives us all of this in the Monterra, and I really do think it's great to finally hold such a robust Android unit in my hand, but there are so many shortcomings. If I could wipe the Garmin side from the device, install a custom ROM, and customize this unit like all my other Android devices, I think it would be perfect.

Cheers!
Smackit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:49 PM   #1200
420AllDay
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:

Way ahead of you. Here is an early post from you.

Quote:
Dan, no way, shape, or fashion would I hold you as the reason why I bought the unit. I fully expect Garmin to come through on this unit, IMHO the Bluetooth alone will bring the masses in and the fact it uses the same mounts as the Montana? My plans are simple, use the Monterra as my primary and the Montana as a backup. I also have the Etrex 30 as that OMG, I am so frigging lost feature. If that happens I must be having some serious fun I even carry a paper map, I just hope I have a pair of cheaters handy
Apparently your research took a back seat to reliance on Garmin to come through. This isn't quite the same as the research I described. I agree with you, Garmin should not have delivered this product to market prior to the 1.19 update. But I also agree with me, blaming Garmin for your hasty purchase just doesn't cut it.

How did that Etrex 30 and Montana work out, did Garmin come through with initial release? Maybe not, huh?

Good day.
420AllDay is offline   Reply With Quote