ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 63 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 05-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #1201
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOP Dirt-Rider View Post
3 reasons why this will be on my GS, already have the mount/s, Bluetooth (damn eyes need verbal assistance), and GNSS. Keeping a signal in the woods or during our brief periods of thick cloud cover in the Pacific Northwet leave me wanting more. This is a win win based on what I have read. The other features are nice and having a format I am familiar with are bonuses.
This was part of my research available at the time of my purchase-
"In Summary

The new Monterra is a full featured GPS receiver that is certainly a departure from the current handheld GPS receivers on the market. It is a new Garmin unit and it has some new-release issues. I certainly haven't covered everything the Monterra can do and it does meet my criteria for Adventure and Dual Sport Riding GPS receivers and with the latest software update form Garmin the Monterra now has a place on my Recommended List:
Garmin GPSMAP 276, GPSMAP 376, GPSMAP 478 (supported, no longer recommended)
Garmin zumo™ 660, zumo™ 665
BMW Motorrad Navigator IV
Garmin Montana 600 Series
Garmin Monterra
BMW Motorrad Navigator V
- See more at: http://globeriders.com/article_pages/article06_gps/article06_monterra.shtml#sthash.sRLVTmlC.dpuf"
http://globeriders.com/article_pages...monterra.shtml

I bought the unit days after release. To date I have well over 13,000 miles of use, 8,000 of those on my GS and some 20 hours on my EXC in every weather condition (short of anything over 90 degrees). Snow, rain, desert, single track, quad track, BDRs, and even the Odessa 100 Race.
Not sure what else you would have me do in regards to research short of waiting for others to go through what I have done. Guess some folks just want to critique what they perceive as a weakness...
Old 05-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #1202
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,053
This is getting way over blown I think.

But, in support of my Review, at the time of product release in November 2013, the review stated that the Monterra was NOT ready and I did not recommend it due to the condition of the software. I updated the review with the release of version 2.20_1.19.00 of the software which fixed (for most folks) the major Routing and Compass issues.

I have to say that I do not have a lot of bugs left on the Garmin Outdoor software. Is it everything I would like it to be? NOT BY A LONG SHOT!

My current recommendation is that if your device is behaving badly you should call Garmin Product Support and if they cannot get if fixed over the phone (unlikely), ask for it to be replaced.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:00 PM   #1203
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Dan, I agree. Time to get back on topic.

Mea Culpa, and all that stuff.

Didn't have time for a call today so next week hopefully. Really is going to suck reloading the topo's and CNNA.....
Old 05-08-2014, 05:46 PM   #1204
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackit View Post
Holding off on the big rant for now, my early impressions...

Purchased a SanDisk Ultra 64GB MicroSD card, re-formatted FAT32, works fine, but I'm not sure why you want to add external memory as it doesn't appear to be useable by the device i.e. Camera can't save pics and vids there. Please point me to the tutorial on using the external SD card for maps/music/photo/app storage.
This is an Android OS, just because the Google Apps don't do what you wish, there are many Apps available via the Google Play Store. Just look for ones that do support using the ext-SD Card. I use Pro Camera for example for that very reason.

$700 and I can't even perform a simple turn by turn nav to the grocery store? For $700 you should get the TOPO US 100K and the City Navigator® North America NT maps with lifetime updates. I knew what I was getting going in, but it's criminal for Garmin to not offer a full nav package on a $700 device.
Can't help you there...
Mac software is very buggy. Does anyone have evidence of Garmin Express Mac working yet?
Garmin Express for Mac does not recognize the Monterra. Garmin is working on it but don't hold your breath. Although, there is really nothing you need GE for relative to the Monterra. What other Mac software are you considering as "buggy"? BaseCamp, Map Install and POI Loader all work just fine on the Mac and with the Monterra.
Not including cellular hardware and support seems pretty lame. I don't care about using it as a phone, but there are plenty of Android and iOS devices that let you slip in a SIM card for data.

I've been using Android phone / GPS solutions for years and always found them to be superior, in terms of flexibility, to anything Garmin offers. What they lack is strong GPS hardware, rugged construction, glove based touch displays, and a visible LCD in bright sunlight. Garmin gives us all of this in the Monterra, and I really do think it's great to finally hold such a robust Android unit in my hand, but there are so many shortcomings. If I could wipe the Garmin side from the device, install a custom ROM, and customize this unit like all my other Android devices, I think it would be perfect.
I can't help you with the, "why didn't they..." comments but I don't believe there is any post-purchase requirement for you to use the Garmin Outdoor Apps. You can load just about any Google Play Store app you want for Navigation, I have several but I usually use GOA anyway as it is better than most and it's designed for glove use (larger icons). I don't seem to be having the routing issues some are experiencing since I updated to the latest software version. Although, it does still have some things I think need to be addressed and I have shared these with the Dev Team.
See my comments inline above please....

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #1205
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOP Dirt-Rider View Post
Dan, I agree. Time to get back on topic.

Mea Culpa, and all that stuff.

Didn't have time for a call today so next week hopefully. Really is going to suck reloading the topo's and CNNA.....
I didn't follow your issue with why you needed to reload maps. But, if your maps are in internal storage you should put them on your SD Card in the \Garmin\ directory anyway. You can do this outside of the Monterra so you don't get slowed down by the lack of USB port speed. I put as much as I can on my SD Card just so if I do need to do a Factory Reset (I've done a lot of them and I have over 60 Apps installed).

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-08-2014, 06:44 PM   #1206
Dell_dude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackit View Post
Please point me to the tutorial on using the external SD card for maps/music/photo/app storage.
Not sure about pics, but you use basecamp to load maps.

When you tell basecamp to load the map, it will ask you where it goes.

After loading City nav on the device itself, there was only room to install TOPOs to the SD card.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:26 PM   #1207
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I didn't follow your issue with why you needed to reload maps. But, if your maps are in internal storage you should put them on your SD Card in the \Garmin\ directory anyway. You can do this outside of the Monterra so you don't get slowed down by the lack of USB port speed. I put as much as I can on my SD Card just so if I do need to do a Factory Reset (I've done a lot of them and I have over 60 Apps installed).
Brain fart on my part... You are correct, as usual. They are on the SD card, but I willl be moving them to a larger card as I need to add one more 24k Topo, so self induced.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:33 PM   #1208
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

No worries, I'm just old and wasn't following why you needed to reinstall.

By the way, keep track of your map segments loading multiple Topo maps. The regional ones can have ~1500-3000 segments compared to 181 for all of CNNA. Monterra only supports 4000 segments (like the Montana).

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-09-2014, 05:37 AM   #1209
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,912
Quote:
No worries, I'm just old and wasn't following why you needed to reinstall.

By the way, keep track of your map segments loading multiple Topo maps. The regional ones can have ~1500-3000 segments compared to 181 for all of CNNA. Monterra only supports 4000 segments (like the Montana).
What is (are?) the typical symptom(s) if you have "too many" map segments loaded?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:48 AM   #1210
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

The last map set you install will not show up in the Map Info list. This is because when the GPS attempts to index (load) the maps into RAM it counts the segments and will not index (load) the map if there are already so many segments installed that loading the last one will over run the limit.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-09-2014, 05:50 PM   #1211
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

How many of you have this much storage on your Monterra?

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-09-2014, 06:13 PM   #1212
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
How many of you have this much storage on your Monterra?

Just pray they don't update it to Kitkat.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:49 PM   #1213
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post
Just pray they don't update it to Kitkat.
No prayers necessary.... v4.0.4 is where this device will stay. There's no reason to change a stable OS.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-10-2014, 04:47 AM   #1214
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
No prayers necessary.... v4.0.4 is where this device will stay. There's no reason to change a stable OS.
This is Garmin we're talking about.

Not saying Kitkat isn't stable. Was aiming towards the change in how SD Cards are handled in it.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:39 AM   #1215
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post
This is Garmin we're talking about.

Not saying Kitkat isn't stable. Was aiming towards the change in how SD Cards are handled in it.
It's really not a big deal. I'm running nightlies on two of my phones and one tablet, sdcard access works fine, no stability issues. Just added wireless charging to my sons tablet this morning. Offtopic though, so :