ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 59 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 05-10-2014, 06:21 PM   #1216
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
It's really not a big deal. I'm running nightlies on two of my phones and one tablet, sdcard access works fine, no stability issues. Just added wireless charging to my sons tablet this morning. Offtopic though, so :
*Offtopic* Take it your rooted them.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:37 AM   #1217
Smackit
Life Is Good

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
See my comments inline above please....
Thanks for your input and your efforts with Garmin. My points were simply food for thought for those who may be on the fence about purchasing this unit. For those who do have a lot of experience with rooted Android devices and customs ROMs, you might be a bit disappointed with Garmin's implementation of Android on the Monterra. Although root is not necessary for many, it sure would make a huge difference for me.

Not trying to argue with you DRTBYK, but I've never seen a camera app on Android that you couldn't go into the settings and change the storage directory. I'm puzzled as to why Garmin chose to disable that feature. As to the Garmin Mac crapware... when a company tells you on it's website to use a product, I expect it to work. Android File Transfer and the Garmin Mac apps have conflicts, it's about a one in three chance that the Mac apps will perform correctly when I plug the device in. Can I get stuff to work? Yes, but it certainly isn't a smooth experience. Since my device isn't recognized by Garmin Express, I don't even know what it does or is capable of. I'm also a little perplexed as to why it takes 5 applications plus a web plug in to do stuff (Garmin Express, BaseCamp, Map Install, Map Manager, POI Loader, and Garmin Communicator Plugin). It would be nice if Garmin could wrap all that up into something more productive and user friendly like Google Earth.

I'm still happy with my purchase, and look forward to getting this device working the way it should, but, as many others have stated, it seems the Monterra was rushed to market with very little product testing. They should be thankful for your patience and commitment to working out their bugs.

Cheer!
Smackit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:32 AM   #1218
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,013
I'm in agreement with your observations/frustrations regarding Garmin Software. My perception is that there is very limited funding being provided Software Engineering but I do feel that they are trying to converge many of the device interface Applications into Garmin Express.

As for how the Monterra works with the Mac...well, we all can see that the Monterra caught the rest of Garmin asleep.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:33 AM   #1219
lyk2byk
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Finally got out for a full day of testing. Worked great, was very pleased.

Until I got home and I realized that it was behaving weird. Everything was moving really slow, backlight not turning on, touch not being recognized, power button not working. Maybe it got too hot because I placed it inside a bag for the last 30 minutes? I had to yank the battery out to get it restarted but it is working fine again.

Oh well, still very happy with it.
lyk2byk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:29 PM   #1220
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

The Monterra does not like to be over heated. If you are going to put it in something you know will get hot make sure the device is OFF and not in Sleep Mode.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-13-2014, 06:34 PM   #1221
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,172
Got my Monterra over the weekend. The only issue I've had with it so far is that the weather radio doesn't seem to work. I get nothing but static on all 7 channels, including the channel I get good reception on on my other weather radio. Anybody else have a similar problem? Yes, headphones were plugged in, and yes, the FM radio works fine.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:27 PM   #1222
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Yep, I have the same problem and I reported it to Garmin Product Support long ago. They were looking into it but I believe they "forgot". I would call them and ask for a replacement if they don't tell you there is a "fix" in the plan. I personally don't believe it's something that can be fixed by a software update--by what do I know.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-14-2014, 03:15 AM   #1223
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Ok, I'm glad I'm not the only one. It's almost like they don't have the right frequencies plugged in.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:15 AM   #1224
empedrado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Off on a ten day ride around the Grand Canyon via mostly dirt. Leaving the Montana at home and just going with the Monterra. My day rides lately have me feeling very secure in this decision. Time will tell. 40 something tracks loaded for the various plans and alternative plans.
empedrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:47 AM   #1225
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Just got off the phone with Garmin support.....it's a confirmed issue, no fix known at the present time. The guy did tell me that some people have had success splicing unshielded wire onto a headphone plug in place of using actual headphones. This sucks because having the weather radio onboard was one of the primary reasons I bought this unit. It almost acts like there is no squelch programmed in on the weather radio. It acts like my scanner when I turn the squelch down.

MN_Smurf screwed with this post 05-14-2014 at 08:03 AM
MN_Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:45 AM   #1226
jdmclemore
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Bout to head off on my first long ride with the Monterra...will mostly be using City Navigator road routing. But as I opened the map, the Monterra sits there "Acquiring Satellites".

I've tried rebooting a couple times to no avail. I haven't left the apartment to see if a different location would help, but I'm not in the trees, in a tunnel, or underground. It shouldn't matter.

Anyone see this issue?

Edit: I'm up to date, v2.90_1.20.00
Old 05-16-2014, 10:03 AM   #1227
jdmclemore
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmclemore View Post
Bout to head off on my first long ride with the Monterra...will mostly be using City Navigator road routing. But as I opened the map, the Monterra sits there "Acquiring Satellites".

I've tried rebooting a couple times to no avail. I haven't left the apartment to see if a different location would help, but I'm not in the trees, in a tunnel, or underground. It shouldn't matter.

Anyone see this issue?

Edit: I'm up to date, v2.90_1.20.00
Well, 5 minutes after posting this, I think I fixed it. I went into Settings\Location Services and unchecked the "GPS Satellites (Let apps use GPS to pinpoint your location)" box. Turn-by-turn navigation lady immediately started talking to me, and my route was plotted. This also caused a message in the pulldown status to be displayed..."Demo Mode active"...or something. I went back in and checked that box again, and everything looks good. Not sure what that was...
Old 05-19-2014, 01:53 AM   #1228
kave
Gravel rules

Oddometer: 475
A bit sad, but I just put my Monterra out for sale. I realize that some issues that I have with it will probably never be solved.
Since I don't have a motorbike I thought of using it on my mountainbike and in my car until I get a bike, but I realize it is no good for either use. Also, I liked to learn a bit of Android, which I did :)

Most frustrating are the compass issues where it is just spinning the map.
Second is the promised ANT+ connectivity where it doesn't record any ANT data even though it shows up (sometimes) in the display.
Third, routing is still not perfect. I can't get a route from Basecamp to not recalculate and make total havoc on the gps.
Fourth, using it in the car for traveling at work makes no sense since the search functions is quite broken, or takes too long to complete.
Fifth, sleep mode and a wake will mess up the map display and won't remember things like scale and route up.
Sixth, I dont like Android at all. Very slow, now shortcuts at all. Just starting th camera app takes too much fuzz, compared with iOS in this case.
Seven, it works worse than my iPhone for Geocaching.
Now, probably my Virb and Fenix 2 might get out the door too, since they are booth very unstable and almost unusable at the moment.

Maybe I am spoilt by good products from Apple the last two years.

I bought a Nüvi for use in the car, works extremely well, so probably I will end up with the latest Zumo when I get a Motorbike.

kave screwed with this post 05-19-2014 at 02:05 AM
kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:29 PM   #1229
DoubleThumper
Purposefully Lost

Oddometer: 230
Almost $1,000 bucks for all the crap .............

Sent from my MIND using TELEKINESIS
DoubleThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:36 AM   #1230
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,379
OSMAnd+ is looking better and better....