ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 40 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #121
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Regina View Post
Check the specs. That "200" in Routes means it has the Trip Planner which means it will not do proper multipoint routes and will have the 50 via point limit.

... ken...
It may certainly be limited to 50 Via points in an Along-road route and that's Route Planner (not Trip Planner) but what exactly do you mean by "...it will not do proper multipoint routes..."?

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 05:19 PM
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #122
Ken in Regina
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
It may certainly be limited to 50 Via points in an Along-road route and that's Route Planner (not Trip Planner) but what exactly do you mean by "...it will not do proper multipoint routes..."?
In Mapsource or Basecamp select a few waypoints and/or POIs and create a (multipoint) route. Transfer it to an older GPS, like my 765T. You get a single route that will take you to all the waypoints/POIs.

Now transfer the same route to a newer device, one that shows at least three digits in the specs for the number of routes supported. If you used 5 way points you will now have 4 "routes" (aka trips), one between each pair of waypoints in the original route.

In the first situation you just start the one multipoint route and get guidance for the entire route with no further manual interventions.

In the second situation you must manually activate each individual route to get from one waypoint to the next.

Depending upon how you travel you may or may not care about the difference. But it's worth being aware of.

... ken...
Ken in Regina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #123
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,735
Quote:
In the second situation you must manually activate each individual route to get from one waypoint to the next.
Huh? Not on my 62S or Montana. Must be something wrong with your route. There's no way a modern Garmin gps like the Montana (or Monterra) will break up the route between waypoints into individual routes.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #124
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
In Mapsource or Basecamp select a few waypoints and/or POIs and create a (multipoint) route. Transfer it to an older GPS, like my 765T. You get a single route that will take you to all the waypoints/POIs.

Now transfer the same route to a newer device, one that shows at least three digits in the specs for the number of routes supported. If you used 5 way points you will now have 4 "routes" (aka trips), one between each pair of waypoints in the original route.

In the first situation you just start the one multipoint route and get guidance for the entire route with no further manual interventions.

Depending upon how you travel you may or may not care about the difference. But it's worth being aware of.

... ken...
Ken,

You are referring to the nuvi & zumo350LM. Those units use the Trip Planner application and it does as you say. But, none of the Garmin Handhelds use Trip Planner.

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 07:35 AM
Old 07-03-2013, 01:43 AM   #125
Znook
n00b

Oddometer: 3
This video appears to show a built in speaker on the Monterra though I could be wrong as I don't speak the lingo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aalakXgFkg0
Znook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:36 AM   #126
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Yes, there is a speaker.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #127
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 751
Quote:
Ken,

You are referring to the nuvi & zumo350LM. Those units use the Trip Planner application and it does as you say. But, none of the Garmin Handhelds use Trip Planner. Here is a complex route I use to use on my zumo 660. It has nine points (including the Start/End). I created it using my Custom Profile in BaseCamp and then made a duplicate of it and changed the duplicate to Direct Routing. Now I transferred both to the Montana. I transfer Direct routes to the Montana if I think I might need to edit them on the unit - otherwise I just send the Along-road route.

Here are the screen shots of the two routes:

BaseCamp:

Here is the Direct Route:

Here is the Direct Route calculated using my custom routing profile on the Montana which I have configured to be the same as my custom profile in BaseCamp:

Works like this every time for me on the Montana and I expect no less from the Monterra.
DRTBYK,

I experienced the same issue in BC if I use a direct route to create my route for an upcoming ride. I am trying to understand your statement of using custom profile that translated your direct route to an actual true route.

How do I get BC to translate a direct route that does not follow the roads to your end product?

Sorry, this maybe off topic and more of a BC question.

Thanks.

Jon
Old 07-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #128
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Jon, can we move this discussion over to the BaseCamp thread?

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #129
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,527
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #130
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Over in another thread there was a comment regarding the Monterra's processor and a reply was made by...

Quote:
Originally Posted by afmeyer View Post
The processor in the Monterra is a TI omap 4460/4470 x2 1.2GHz.

What do you think of this?
I don't know where afmeyer got his info or if he is just speculating since that processor is one of the latest on the market that is being used in Android devices.

In the smartphone/tablet world processors are always a topic of discussion. But, in the past, Garmin has not published the make/model of any commercial products processor. The Monterra obviously lives in both worlds so there may be some room for Garmin to publish what processor they are using.

My personal thoughts as they relate to afmeyer's comment are - that would be great. The TI omap 4460/4470 dual core is a very nice processor and would provide some real horsepower to this hybrid.

Now we're really narrowing this discussion down to the Über-geeks among us.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #131
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
My very good friend works at TI and writes drivers for omap. What juicy inside info do you all want?
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #132
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
My very good friend works at TI and writes drivers for omap. What juicy inside info do you all want?
Did they just ship a big order to Olathe, KS?

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 07-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #133
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
He's not in the order processing or shipping departments.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #134
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
They will be shipped to China... from somewhere in Asia....
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #135
/dev/null
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Over in another thread there was a comment regarding the Monterra's processor and a reply was made by...

I don't know where afmeyer got his info or if he is just speculating since that processor is one of the latest on the market that is being used in Android devices.

In the smartphone/tablet world processors are always a topic of discussion. But, in the past, Garmin has not published the make/model of any commercial products processor. The Monterra obviously lives in both worlds so there may be some room for Garmin to publish what processor they are using.

My personal thoughts as they relate to afmeyer's comment are - that would be great. The TI omap 4460/4470 dual core is a very nice processor and would provide some real horsepower to this hybrid.

That's plenty of balls for this thing. Samsung Galaxy Nexus uses a 4460. It's not the fastest thing out there, but it's plenty of power to render maps on a 720p display (no idea what resolution is on the Monterra, but I'm sure it's <= 720p). I use a Galaxy Nexus as my main testing device, and it's quite quick in my opinion.

Definitely looking forward to this thing, unless Garmin somehow manages to ruin it like they did with the Zumo 66x and their quarter-assed Bluetooth.