ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 68 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 08-25-2014, 04:31 AM   #1456
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreativ View Post
This is how I fixed monterra to my dirt bike.

And after this weekend I'm sure that it's not the best unit for dirt bike and surely no a good position of fixing.

The Best think is that garmin does' t repair units. They change for new one. Mine will cost 300$. The New one in Poland 900$.

Anax
next time make a bracket to place it where a motorcycles speedometer normally goes. if it gets smashed in the recess in front of the handlebars, you've got much bigger problems than a cracked screen ;-)

I've been using that space under the headlight fairing for years, and it's fantastic for protecting a GPS (phone for me, please) from roost, trees, flips and crashes in all conditions.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:51 AM   #1457
kreativ
OFFROADer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
next time make a bracket to place it where a motorcycles speedometer normally goes. if it gets smashed in the recess in front of the handlebars, you've got much bigger problems than a cracked screen ;-)

I've been using that space under the headlight fairing for years, and it's fantastic for protecting a GPS (phone for me, please) from roost, trees, flips and crashes in all conditions.

you're right, I also think it would be the best- place for gps. I just wanted to leave my handlebar pad on it's place. Now I don't want it anymore;P But I also think about smaller gps like GPSMAP series. Smaller screen =smaller risk of damage.

kbroderick, I don't think RAM mount would help. RAM mount is forcing few inches higher position than I had. And in offroad less sticking things is better:)
kreativ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:49 AM   #1458
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
you're right, I also think it would be the best- place for gps. I just wanted to leave my handlebar pad on it's place. Now I don't want it anymore;P But I also think about smaller gps like GPSMAP series. Smaller screen =smaller risk of damage.

kbroderick, I don't think RAM mount would help. RAM mount is forcing few inches higher position than I had. And in offroad less sticking things is better:)
keep thhat bar pad in place too. the GPS is small enough to fit under the headlight shroud, in front of the triple tree. with a little fiddling, you can place it just right so that it's completely shaded and still visible from both seated and standing positions. i don't know about the weight of the monterra, but my phones are light enough to just be Velcro'd in place without any issue snout moving around.

give that placement some trials, it's a very safe place. a pair of gloves on top of it and it disappears too ;-)
Old 08-25-2014, 06:58 AM   #1459
kreativ
OFFROADer

Give me some pics:) in my oppinion there's no place to mount it on this bike like you say.Just look.

Additionally I like my speedometer:)
Old 08-25-2014, 08:01 AM   #1460
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Give me some pics:) in my oppinion there's no place to mount it on this bike like you say.Just look.

ohhhh, you have one of those niiiiiice bikes. on a crappy drz u could hold a watermelon there

I like my speedometer too, but only if it's a semi transparent overlay on top of my map and tracks :
Old 08-25-2014, 08:19 AM   #1461
lmychajluk OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,660
Quote:
Give me some pics:) in my oppinion there's no place to mount it on this bike like you say.Just look...
Put it on the triple clamp.

http://www.fy-yff.com/2014/06/ktm-fa...gps-mount.html
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 02:41 PM   #1462
kreativ
OFFROADer

Nice but still to high for a dirt bike:/
On DRZ400_E i had a lot of space:)
Old 09-03-2014, 08:43 PM   #1463
NickW909
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Monterra using OSM maps of the USA.

I keep getting the Garmin screen of death... garmin app has stopped. Wait or OK. I could just be trying to zoom in (when the zoom buttons work) or scrolling the map.

Is there a trick to stop this? My monterra is now in my bag and I've gone back to the Montana.

Sent from a little keyboard using fat fingers......
NickW909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:14 PM   #1464
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,103
If you are at the latest software update (v3.50_1.23.00) you should probably do a Factory Reset. Remove your µSD Card if installed before preforming the Reset. Backup all of your personally installed Apps and data. The Factory Reset will clear all non-factory data from the device.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #1465
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,192
Quote:
This is how I fixed monterra to my dirt bike.
Anax
If you mount it on a RAM mount with an arm, it is much more likely to survive a crash. I put on Dual Sport rides with hundreds of customers a year and almost no one ever ruins their GPS in spite of many crashes. Also it is much easier to adjust for sun light on an arm.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:45 PM   #1466
l0st
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Anyone else having problems with bluetooth on Monterra? My Monterra does not find any bluetooth device and also Monterra can't be found with other devices. Yes, I enabled visibility on Monterra when I was trying to find it via bluetooth on my phone...
Any ideas? :)
l0st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:12 AM   #1467
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0st View Post
Anyone else having problems with bluetooth on Monterra? My Monterra does not find any bluetooth device and also Monterra can't be found with other devices. Yes, I enabled visibility on Monterra when I was trying to find it via bluetooth on my phone...
Any ideas? :)
Has it worked previously? Did you update to v3.50? If the answer to the those is yes, I would recommend doing a Factory Reset. It's a pain in the butt so backup all of your personally installed Apps and Data and remove your µSD Card before you preform the Factory Reset.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #1468
Fin333
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
DRTBYK,

I am having similar issues with my Monterra and have done all the current updates.

I would like to do the factory reset. Can I ask you to give us a brief run down of how to go about doing this? A bullet list of what to do and in what order would be great. I am not sure how to back-up and restore my current installed apps.

My apologies if this has been covered before. I did search, with no luck.

Thank you.
Fin333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:19 PM   #1469
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

This is Android, there is no one way to do things like Backup/Restore of your Apps and their data. I have never gotten the Android (Google) Backup & Restore to function properly - so I don't use it. And, I sure as heck wouldn't give Google my Wi-Fi (or any other) passwords.

I try to use Apps that will allow me to choose where they save their data. I want all of my data on the µSD Card. Many Apps don't recognize the µSD Card on the Monterra; or any Android device for that matter.

I use the app AppMonster Pro to Backup/Restore my Apps and their (my) data using my µSD Card. In using an app like AppMonster, I only have to manually install a few apps after a Factory Reset. Then, I can run my AppMonster Restore and I have the remainder of my apps installed as they were prior to the Reset.

Once you have your Apps/data backed up, remove your µSD Card and then go to Settings --> Backup & Restore --> Factory data reset.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 09-07-2014, 04:18 PM   #1470
Fin333
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Thanks DRTBYK, that all makes scene and easy to follow.

I don't really have that many apps on the device as due to the small memory left over after it installs the default Garmin apps, (less than 2Gigs left over) there just is not a lot of room for more apps after you load maps and need room to take pictures, etc. I do wish Garmin would include more internal memory for this reason.

I wish the photo app would allow you to locate the pics and video on the SD card, that would help with memory.

Will give this a try and report back....
Fin333 is online now   Reply With Quote