Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #16
Geoffster
Fool - Born This Way

Oddometer: 1,368
Over the years I've had sixteen bikes, and eight have been BMWs.

I'm hanging onto my RT for long distance rides in the winter. And its cruise control.

But my F700 is my favorite of the sixteen. I've hardly ridden my RT since I bought my 700.

Consider this before arguing with me:
You're an idiot if you argue with a fool!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffster/sets/
Geoffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #17
Manventure
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Just rode my 09 650gs from Seattle to Reno and back over a long weekend and would do it again in a second. Highway pegs on your crashbars will help and keeping the rpms somewhere between 3500 and 3900 will keep the numbing vibrations to a minimum but I love the bike and would do it again in a second.

P.S. I am a small guy as well and bought this bike specifically for that reason. Would never sell it.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #18
somejuan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Get one mate you'll be impressed. I've had my 650GS twin for four years now and clocked up over 50K on both sealed and gravel roads - only unexpected issues I've had were the steering head and rear wheel bearings flogging out a bit early. I go away once a year for a couple of weeks at a time and have found that soft bag option works for me.

Just be aware that for some sitting on the F650GS stock seat is comparable to riding a bit of 4x2 - I had my set modified by an auto upholsterer for $70 who exchanged the foam insert for me ..sweet as now.

Enjoy .....
somejuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #19
nokiaj
n00b

Oddometer: 15
09' f650gs

Love my '09 F650 GS - Added stock tall windshield, luggage, a soft tail bag for my sunglasses, purse, camera and a can of windshield cleaner. I also purchased a custom seat from www.renazco.com/. http://scottyb.smugmug.com/Other/201...wDh75&lb=1&s=A

I've ridden all over Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico & Colorado....The only complaint I would consider is the long stretch of boring highway - when my seat gets really tired...Otherwise, my bike is a dream!

Not sure if the link above works....
'09 KLX 250
nokiaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #20
macbethandbanquo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Watched this thread closely as I was considering WHICH GS to buy. This week I brought home a brand new 2012 DeWalt color.....my favorite, F650GS (Twin)

First ride home was 84 miles, and boy were they FUN!! Really light and nimble, very little vibration. The stock seat and suspension must have been made with me in mind....I'm 185lbs and it feels fine. (of course, I have less than 200 miles on it now and will know better later for longer trips.)

My only complaint was that I thought the sidestand foot was a little small and didn't want to hunting a beer can when I parked at my favorite restaurants in the country, so I ordered the $50 FAT FOOT by Kildala and it's on its way.

The other complaint was that I was looking over the bike when I got it home, and found that 2 or 3 radiator fins had been bent by something I apparently hit on way home....AND that there were 2 tiny gouges in the oil cooler and a small dent in the oil filter, with a little dirt on it as if something flipped up and nicked it. Damn!

So I ordered a Kildala radiator guard today from Nick. That should cure the radiator getting bent fins.

And, I will have to save a litte cash and order the Moto bash plate from Canada, since the bottom needs more protection. Also, I'm a little disappointed that the 2012 model does not come with the bash plate mounts and I have to also buy those at $47.25 before I can put a plate on.

So, all in all, after I spend another $500, I'll have it well protected.
But.....I LOVE the bike, and expect to have great fun on it. So far, it's getting 60mpg and I'm stunned. (But I'm taking it careful the first 300 miles)

Mine came with a high windshield and it works well. Also the ABS and the computer. Not really needed but nice to have. And, for the first time in about 50 years of riding, I'm finally having heated grips. Not bad!
macbethandbanquo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:10 AM   #21
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,309
I went to Virginia Beach last year from Indianapolis and been to Smoky mountains 3-4 times. Coming up I am taking mine Indianapolis - Colorado Springs - 29 Palms - Las Vegas - Long Beach and home.

2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se; 2009 GSXR 600
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #22
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,413
Not sure if it was mentioned, but the F650GS burns regular gas. The 700 & 800 require primium. In some parts, this is huge.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:28 PM   #23
73datsun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Not sure if it was mentioned, but the F650GS burns regular gas. The 700 & 800 require primium. In some parts, this is huge.
Lyle
I rode a 700 over 8500mi from MN to the Arctic Circle. The bike asks for 89 octane. It ran just fine on 87, which was all that was available in some areas.

The bike is smart enough to retard the engine if it senses knock/reads the lower octane. Most modern vehicles are capable of this.

It's not like you're stranded on the side of the road if only 87 is available, you just want make the "as advertised power."

As a voice of dissonance, with a fully loaded 700, knobby tires, strong crosswinds, 70+ mph speeds and lots of trucks, it wasn't super confidence inspiring. But otherwise, I love the bike.
73datsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:12 AM   #24
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73datsun View Post
I rode a 700 over 8500mi from MN to the Arctic Circle. The bike asks for 89 octane. It ran just fine on 87, which was all that was available in some areas.

The bike is smart enough to retard the engine if it senses knock/reads the lower octane. Most modern vehicles are capable of this.

It's not like you're stranded on the side of the road if only 87 is available, you just want make the "as advertised power."

As a voice of dissonance, with a fully loaded 700, knobby tires, strong crosswinds, 70+ mph speeds and lots of trucks, it wasn't super confidence inspiring. But otherwise, I love the bike.
Kind of like the airplane I fly. It wants Jet B, but it'll burn anything you stuff in it. Sounds like a Hell of a trip! That's something the owner's manual (what a piece of shit that is!) doesn't tell you. It's probably the major difference between the 650 and 700? A sentence in the owner's manual about the gas? And the second disc up front. Love mine as well.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #25
servdave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Great touring biker

I use my 650 gs twin day to day and for touring. Just got back from a week tour of europe. Did 1700 miles riding to Austria and back two up. Had panniers and top box fully loaded and still happily cruised at 85 and returning 62 mpg!

If you can adjust to the power it's a very capable mile muncher. Mine is 4 years old now with 44,000 miles on the clock and still loving it!
servdave is offline   Reply With Quote