Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
Teabar OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Country Rules

Hi all,
Apologies if this has already been beaten to death. I'm after a list of things I legally must take/do when visiting each country which differ from how we are obligated as riders here in the UK. For example, I read somewhere that I could get a ticket while riding in France if I don't have a certain amount of reflective clothing etc.

I'll be hitting roads in the following countries at some point or other:
Belgium / Germany / Italy / Croatia / Switz / France

Thanks
Teabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teabar View Post
Hi all,
Apologies if this has already been beaten to death. I'm after a list of things I legally must take/do when visiting each country which differ from how we are obligated as riders here in the UK. For example, I read somewhere that I could get a ticket while riding in France if I don't have a certain amount of reflective clothing etc.

I'll be hitting roads in the following countries at some point or other:
Belgium / Germany / Italy / Croatia / Switz / France

Thanks

Not true for hi-viz in France. All new jackets have to have reflective beading and reflective tape on helmets, but no retro-active laws. There is a law on the books that says common vehicles like cars, lorries, and motos must have on board alcohol test kits, but there is no fine if you don't. Common sense to have an extra light bulb or two. I've never been stopped while on the bike. It seems to me that with more and more radar points there are fewer and fewer motorized cops on the roads. I can ride for days and never see one, but then that's how they nail ya.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
sphyrnidus
born to ride

Oddometer: 121
You don't need to wear fluo in France, BUT in some of the countries you mention you have to have a fluo vest if you have a break down. Belgium, France, Italy and Croatia are among the countries that like you to wear those.

The alcohol tester in France has been put on hold, they discarded the law. Btw most of the French didn't know about this law in the first place, only the foreigners.

Watch your speed in Austrian villages, especially in weekends. Always in La Suisse which has very steep fines and crossing a double line in France sets you back €180.- Just happened to a friend of mine (and his wife) while passing a tractor doing 30 km/hr for ever...
Old 06-25-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphyrnidus View Post
The alcohol tester in France has been put on hold, they discarded the law. Btw most of the French didn't know about this law in the first place, only the foreigners.
The populous was well aware of it and there was so much public resistence and ridicule in the press about it that the government backed down, partially. The whole process was a mockery. You're required to have the tester in the vehicle, but if you don't there is no sanction. The tester result has no legal status so, if you're stopped, the police will use their own device. The law is still on the books but it lacks an enforcement provision.

The mandate to wear a hi-viz vest if you have a breakdown does not apply to motos.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #5
Timpo
NORTH WALES TRF.

Oddometer: 2,105
Some countries you need to purchase a vignette to use the motorways or any roads depending on the rules there. Of the countries you have listed, the Swiss require you to have a vignette for motorway use. Others close by include Austria and Slovenia.
Also, keep security in mind so wherever you spend your sleeping (day or night), try to your bike out of sight from passing scrotes.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 545
The UK AA has a list of local laws. It's not exactly for a motorcyclist but for a motorist.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...bycountry.html

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice..._equipment.pdf
- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote