Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #31
jachard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster714 View Post
Was last weekend a qualifying event for the international competition? ...with very little riding???
I'm still trying to learn how this thing works since I haven't come across a lot of details so far. Maybe they didn't tell you guys either?
Yup, we were not told much at all until we showed up. Plus, according to their rules, we were supposed to be ranked/classed by dispacement which never happened.

Like I said before, the event was good fun for meeting people but as far as the actual riding aspect it was not very good. I was expecting much more of a trail/adventure ride with tests along the way, night riding challenges etc. but instead it was motorcycle autocross.

http://octaneworks.wordpress.com/
jachard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #32
MrDrifter
Doesn't matter

Oddometer: 7
This year it was mandated that the entire qualifier had to take place on the Performance Center grounds. For this reason there was no option for a "trail ride", the facilities just aren't big enough. Therefore, the event was set up as a series of exercises with varying degrees of difficulty. The focus was to be as much about personality, teamwork and leadership as it was about riding ability, comradery and as always, fun.

As far as the actual riding time, it was a victim of circumstance. The attendance was capped at 200 people, so the event needed to be categorized in such a manner that had that many people entered, the event could accommodate as best possible.

This was the first time that the event was asked to be held ENTIRELY on the Performance Center grounds with this many riders. It went very well and some lessons were learned so that should this be the format for the next Trophy event, things can be improved.

If you have suggestions, compliments, ideas, concerns or other comments etc. feel free to send emails to the instructors at the Performance Center, I'm sure they welcome your feedback.
MrDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #33
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDrifter View Post
If you have suggestions, compliments, ideas, concerns or other comments etc. feel free to send emails to the instructors at the Performance Center, I'm sure they welcome your feedback.
My suggestion is that each time a team has to drop down in the creek, they get to give the motorcycle instructors who laid out the course three lashes. Howzatsound?

Old 09-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #34
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,038
I actually think the course and obstacles were far superior to last time. My only complaint is the time waiting in the tent between sections. I'm also very wary of the accuracy of the scores.
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #35
HalfPlate OP
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDrifter View Post
This years event was differently more challenging than last year, that's for sure. You guys gave me a false sense of accomplishment with a 3rd place finish last year. Jokes aside the skills test were great, they differently tested ones abilities and technique. My only feedback would be that I would have liked to have had a chance to ride the f800 in the "fun zone" for a few seconds prior to being judged on it, same as we did last year. Also I would have liked for the final challenge to have been more real world orientated. I understand the PC has limited space and that the man made obstacles do highlight certain en-grained habits many riders have, but I feel we all are more experienced in the real world application. Most of the riders I talked to had never ridden a judged skill test or participated in a training course where such test are used, but we all spend countless hours trail ridden and honing those skills.

Of course remember this advise comes from the knot head that came in 8th and burnt up two clutches. Cannot wait for 2015, you should go ahead and order a few extra clutch packs just for me.
Oh yea and just to be an ahole the stickers where a lot better last year, but the new under-armor shirts are awesome
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote