Oddometer: 899
KTM ,Fastest growing motorcycle company in the US

Read more here:
http://pulse.me/s/Ipig7
Old 12-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,381
The Big 4 tanked the most during the downturn. BMW & Ducati buyers are less likely to buy on credit then Japanese bike buyers. One of the magazines did a decent story on it a few months ago. KTM isn't a first time bike buyer brand. People who buy them know what they want, and therefore are usually not the type that stops in to a showroom and get talked into financing a new bike with $0 down. As far as a sales surge like the linked article claims, they have been expanding their lineup so I would see encouraging signs in them posting record numbers. I know there will eventually be a brand new 350EXC-F in my garage.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,455
statistics can be misleading. If your sales volumes are relatively low to begin with then you don't need much of an increase in sales to make the percentages look spectacular...good for in house marketing but that's all.
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
brianpc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
The Big 4 tanked the most during the downturn. BMW & Ducati buyers are less likely to buy on credit then Japanese bike buyers. One of the magazines did a decent story on it a few months ago. KTM isn't a first time bike buyer brand. People who buy them know what they want, and therefore are usually not the type that stops in to a showroom and get talked into financing a new bike with $0 down. As far as a sales surge like the linked article claims, they have been expanding their lineup so I would see encouraging signs in them posting record numbers. I know there will eventually be a brand new 350EXC-F in my garage.
Yep, exactly right. In the downturn the japanese played it safe and did minor changes to their existing lineups - there's a couple exceptions (Yamaha MT09, Honda NC700X, the new small bikes: honda's 500s, CRF300, Ninja 300) but otherwise they stayed business as usual - i.e., supersports.

The Euro brands brought new bikes to the market and took chances based on new riding trends - dirt, dual sport, nakeds, and adventure bikes - Ducati's financial woes were saved (well, bleeding stopped) by the Multistrada. Triumph has had a huge hit with the Street Triple, Tiger, Explorer, and the retro bikes. BMW's F800 has picked up a huge market, the 1200GS continues to do well. KTM's on-road bikes have become even more popular, even after the slogging they took in Long Way Round :)
brianpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpc View Post
Yep, exactly right. In the downturn the japanese played it safe and did minor changes to their existing lineups - there's a couple exceptions (Yamaha MT09, Honda NC700X, the new small bikes: honda's 500s, CRF300, Ninja 300) but otherwise they stayed business as usual - i.e., supersports.

The Euro brands brought new bikes to the market and took chances based on new riding trends - dirt, dual sport, nakeds, and adventure bikes - Ducati's financial woes were saved (well, bleeding stopped) by the Multistrada. Triumph has had a huge hit with the Street Triple, Tiger, Explorer, and the retro bikes. BMW's F800 has picked up a huge market, the 1200GS continues to do well. KTM's on-road bikes have become even more popular, even after the slogging they took in Long Way Round :)
+1

The Euro mfgs kept on working on new models while the Japenese played it safe. KTM, Ducati, BMW, and Triumph(and others) are now reaping the benefits, while the Japanese are trying to catch up.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
keener OP
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 899
This does not include 1190adv yet! That will add to it.

My hope is KTM make enough money to finally make a 700cc twin!
Old 12-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #7
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 878
I actually think there is much more to it than that. I think we are seeing shifts in long time riders and buyers.

I will use me......

Been riding motorcycle constantly since I was 16. Started with a Yamaha 250 dirt, then a street honda 400 till I was 21. Then a GPZ1100 when I joined the Army. Sold it and bought a Harley at 22 and have owed a Harley ever since. Bought a couple of enduros a few years ago and then a Buell Ulysses.

After I bought my Ulysses my eyes were open to the other possibilities other than harley as they have completely pissed me off.

So fast forward to 50 years old now. I want a good bike that has innovation and other things that interest me and want to explore more than just asphalt. Still love my Buell but the point is how many of the people that are dropping $$ on these bikes now days are your 40-60y/o that use to ride HD? I bet more than a few that are just tired of the status quo with HD and want more

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote