Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #316
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sandman_454 View Post
So it appears the NJ law was enacted in 1949 when at the time in America there were 200 self service stations. In 1951, two dealers sued and lost with the state supreme court determining that gasoline is dangerous. I guess that means I was correct, in that it appears to have been enacted because the government felt the average person couldn't safely handle gasoline.

Apparently the public is addicted to the practice though, since when an attempt was made to go with self service stations as a test, the backlash against it caused the test to be canceled.

Per WSJ.

Interesting. And not terribly efficient, particularly in a case where there are fewer attendants than there are pumps.
I'll try to remember that when its 15 degrees and snowing and I don't have to get out of the truck.

.....oh and NJ gas tends to run about 35-50 cents below national average

I took a guy up to get his car from Jersey in the military, and watched him promptly spray himself in the face with it the first time he tried to pump his own gas in Virginia.

I STILL give that guy shit about that one, 15 years later.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #317
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
No, your missing out here. We should go to the corn standard.

Think of the advantages. It's clean, green and renewable. In a pinch you can eat it and if you fail to thoroughly chew your food, you've still got some salvageable wealth remaining......along with some organic fertilizer.
You spread a LOT of fertilizer.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:42 PM   #318
2 spoke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
That just sucks on so many ignorant bureaucratic levels.
2 spoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #319
bv11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
There should be a special place in hell where those who profit from turning food into gas while people starve everyday spend eternity swallowing ethanol soaked dollar bills.

bv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #320
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 18,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by bv11 View Post
There should be a special place in hell where those who profit from turning food into gas while people starve everyday spend eternity swallowing ethanol soaked dollar bills.

So you want farmers to give their products away? Or do you have any clue of how to feed these people?
Old 07-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #321
bv11
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
So you want farmers to give their products away? Or do you have any clue of how to feed these people?
Farmers don't have to give anything away, just as they didn't have to give it away in the thousands of years of agricultural history prior to the advent of ethanol. Turning food into fuel certainly isn't feeding anyone, is it?
Old 07-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #322
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
Farmers don't have to give anything away, just as they didn't have to give it away in the thousands of years of agricultural history prior to the advent of ethanol. Turning food into fuel certainly isn't feeding anyone, is it?
It's corn, industrial corn to be precise and we are in a modern, capitalist economy, not an ancient barter system.. The problem here is as its always been, money. These starving people are starving because they are poor and most morons out there think the US already gives too much foreign aid.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #323
bv11
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
It's corn, industrial corn to be precise and we are in a modern, capitalist economy, not an ancient barter system.. The problem here is as its always been, money. These starving people are starving because they are poor and most morons out there think the US already gives too much foreign aid.
That might make it easier for you to sleep at night but I doubt it would cut much ice with the kid in the photo, if he isn't already dead. This whole thing is just as vile as anything big oil has ever done. You are right about it coming down to money though. Why settle for the profit in growing food when there is a killing to be made in diverting land and crops for motor fuel?
Old 07-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #324
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
That might make it easier for you to sleep at night but I doubt it would cut much ice with the kid in the photo, if he isn't already dead. This whole thing is just as vile as anything big oil has ever done. You are right about it coming down to money though. Why settle for the profit in growing food when there is a killing to be made in diverting land and crops for motor fuel?
Grow up kid.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #325
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

The problem is not that there's a shortage of food in the world, it's that there is a shortage of will on the part of governments to get food to those in need. Think how many people the money it takes to build one F22 fighter could feed.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #326
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyForNow View Post
Word.

We're on the same page. Just took a while to communicate.

Live happy man.
Gracis amigo.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #327
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 18,264
wait, so now it's the government's job to feed its people?

Gov't tit, anyone?
Old 07-18-2013, 11:24 PM   #328
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,074
Quote:
Then sell all your shit and start feeding people.
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #329
bv11
Gnarly Adventurer

I haven't been a kid for a long time, and I wish my means were such that selling everything I have would make any difference whatsoever in this situation. As it is, I feed as many people as I am able.

I never disputed people would do whatever makes them the most money, just that this particular vile option wouldn't exist if we had never started turning food into gas. There doesn't seem to be much support for it beyond those who stand to profit, and those who benefit from their lobbying efforts.

How much more corn would be available for donation to NGO's if over a quarter of the total harvest wasn't being diverted to make fuel? How much more would they be able to buy if prices weren't inflated by this diversion? How many dead kids is ethanol worth? Just ballpark it to the nearest thousand.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #330
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
I haven't been a kid for a long time, and I wish my means were such that selling everything I have would make any difference whatsoever in this situation. As it is, I feed as many people as I am able.

I never disputed people would do whatever makes them the most money, just that this particular vile option wouldn't exist if we had never started turning food into gas. There doesn't seem to be much support for it beyond those who stand to profit, and those who benefit from their lobbying efforts.

How much more corn would be available for donation to NGO's if over a quarter of the total harvest wasn't being diverted to make fuel? How much more would they be able to buy if prices weren't inflated by this diversion? How many dead kids is ethanol worth? Just ballpark it to the nearest thousand.
You tell me. If prices fell below production costs because the RFM ended, how much extra corn would there be? An old truism is that the cure for high prices is high prices. Whith remotely cooperative weather corn prices will soon be low enough to be worrisome for producers. Given current production costs $4 corn is break even for many areas and many economists have been predicting that price by harvest this fall.