Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 06:25 AM   #31
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
Great argument for why ethanol can't make it in the free market...
Welcome to Regan's America!
Nice pivot. In other words, you have nothing.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:29 AM   #32
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
Nice pivot. In other words, you have nothing.
I asked why ethanol can't compete on the free market if it is such a great industry
Nice pivot
I guess you have nothing
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:35 AM   #33
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
I asked why ethanol can't compete on the free market if it is such a great industry
Nice pivot
I guess you have nothing
It can, it's cheaper than gasoline with the added bonus of being produced here.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:36 AM   #34
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
It's not bullshit, it's math.
Well that's the thing. I have experienced some pretty noticeable mileage differences when I ride to states that have a choice of pure gas and I use it. I have always figured that the higher altitude confused the numbers. For example in Illinois I usually get around 41 to 43 mph average and in Kansas and the foot hills of Colorado, about 45 mph. But when I use pure gas in Colorado, I get close to 50 mph and something like 47 mph with E10. These are wild differences for a 3% difference in energy content.
I always figured that a number of variables are involved like altitude, steady road riding, and of course the gas.
I am no noob when it comes to math so if I get something like twice the mileage I should, it must be from another variable like maybe how the engine management computer manages when using the E10. While the OBC computes the average mileage, the most noticeable and important thing to me is the miles I get before I need to fill up. Unmistakably more than 3%. So sorry to say, if I have a choice, I'll pick E0 every time.
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #35
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
Quote:
It can, it's cheaper than gasoline with the added bonus of being produced here.
It is not cheaper unless you consider taxpayer subsidies to be "free" money. You would also need to consider higher feed, grain and meat prices to be inconsequential in order to call ethanol "cheaper."
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:42 AM   #36
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack View Post
Well that's the thing. I have experienced some pretty noticeable mileage differences when I ride to states that have a choice of pure gas and I use it. I have always figured that the higher altitude confused the numbers. For example in Illinois I usually get around 41 to 43 mph average and in Kansas and the foot hills of Colorado, about 45 mph. But when I use pure gas in Colorado, I get close to 50 mph and something like 47 mph with E10. These are wild differences for a 3% difference in energy content.
I always figured that a number of variables are involved like altitude, steady road riding, and of course the gas.
I am no noob when it comes to math so if I get something like twice the mileage I should, it must be from another variable like maybe how the engine management computer manages when using the E10. While the OBC computes the average mileage, the most noticeable and important thing to me is the miles I get before I need to fill up. Unmistakably more than 3%. So sorry to say, if I have a choice, I'll pick E0 every time.
I have always gotten better mileage in the mountains of New Mexico and Colorado. Way better, and that goes back well before E-10.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:44 AM   #37
Handy
Sunburnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
It is not cheaper unless you consider taxpayer subsidies to be "free" money. You would also need to consider higher feed, grain and meat prices to be inconsequential in order to call ethanol "cheaper."
That is free money to Stevie.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:45 AM   #38
Handy
Sunburnt

Quote:
I have always gotten better mileage in the mountains of New Mexico and Colorado. Way better, and that goes back well before E-10.
Sure ya did.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:47 AM   #39
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
Then you need to count a good portion of the military budget, the tax credits and the oil depletion allowance, etc that goes to petroleum companies and add that to the cost of gas. Btw, there are no subsidies going to ethanol producers and there are no price support payments going to corn growers either.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #40
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
Quote:
Then you need to count a good portion of the military budget...
Oh. You're one of those. Forgive me for opening my mouth. I have a policy against engaging people like you. Enjoy.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:07 AM   #41
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
Oh. You're one of those. Forgive me for opening my mouth. I have a policy against engaging people like you. Enjoy.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #42
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,534
Quote:
I just put the facts out there in these threads. Speaking from personal experience, ethanol hasn't caused me any problems as a motor fuel additive and I run through $100k in gasoline usage per year along with even more diesel.

Well, that's just it. You are not really quoting anything or anybody. You just say to everyone, "your wrong, I'm right". Sorry, you're way of conversing is more akin to a grade 2 sandbox argument. Just because you havn't had any issues, you cannot confirm there are no problems out there. There are tons of evidence of issues. Surely you cannot deny it?
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #43
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by coach03860 View Post
Well it's here at the pump...E15 all the way up to E85. Now what do I do?

I'd go with the 89, but a bigger concern is:
How do you get around the 4 gallon minimum? or it that only for E15?
Old 06-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #44
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
Well, that's just it. You are not really quoting anything or anybody. You just say to everyone, "your wrong, I'm right". Sorry, you're way of conversing is more akin to a grade 2 sandbox argument. Just because you havn't had any issues, you cannot confirm there are no problems out there. There are tons of evidence of issues. Surely you cannot deny it?
Oh no, I'm sure here are issues. There have been issues with every motor fuel ever used.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #45
QSrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
What chaps my ass is the bullshit in your post. At most E-15 will ding you 5%, if you're getting 20 mpg on pure gas, you'll get 19 mpg on E-15. Hardly a back breaking reduction.

But you're not running pure gas now, are you? So the difference between E-10 and E-15 will be .33 mpg if you're still talking about that 20 mpg average.
You're talking math... Here are facts:
I can still find pure gas. One pump left next to the refinery. So when I go that direction I fill up there.
My 03 BMW RT on pure gas gets 49-52 mpg, on E-10 it gets 39-44 mpg. (x-x mpg are worst and best I have had after many fill-ups being recorded)
My 04 Tacoma on pure 22 mpg, on E-10 18 mpg (tha'ts average).