User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
JLeather OP
Bike Butcherer

Oddometer: 291
"Acid Sunrise" a CB750 chopper

I know this isn't usually a chopper forum, but there are a few of my fellow delinquents around so I'm posting this anyway. The build is mostly done so I can get pretty much all of this at one time for you guys that hate waiting.

I bought this bike about 2 years ago. I didn't have a chop at the time, I was working too much to build one, and I really missed having a CB. I thought I'd save myself some time and buy a finished running chop, and I love Saviors. My first chopper was a Savior-framed 750 and it was basically stolen (thanks alot Jeromy Hagemier, aka Kool-Kraft). Here she is when I picked her up:

And after some touch-ups (new wheels and tires, new seat, headlights, etc):

So the bike was ready to roll, and I never rode it (well, almost never). Two major reasons. One, there was no attachment to the bike. I just didn't *want* to ride it. Also, every time I looked at it all I saw were the things I'd have done differently or the things I didn't like. So it sat, and sat, and sat. Last year I tried selling it, but no one bought it so it sat some more.

This past March I finally got serious. No sense having a bike I don't ride, and I had a bunch of parts kicking around waiting for a home, so I dug in.
JLeather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
JLeather OP
Bike Butcherer

I want to smile when I see this bike in the garage. I'm not usually the type to clean, polish, paint, re-chrome, etc on my builds. Usually I like crusty bikes. Hell, the last bike show I went to with a bike the judge said "you could have at least washed it" :). There's just less to worry about and they're cheaper to build. This time, however, I want clean, painted, and pretty. I want a bike nice enough to run the ARD mag I've got off a friend's show bike from back in the day. I've also got a torn down RC 836 motor that I'll build for it if there's time.

I had a snow-day on March 6th so the build officially began then. I threw on a temp exhaust system that didnt run under the frame so I could see how the stance was. It had a +6" frontend right when I got it and sits up a little. I've got a +4" frontend to being it more level, but honestly the nose-up stance seemed more 70's and in the end I stuck with it. I also tried out all the extra chopper tanks in my shop.

SB&F Prism Tank:

GME Ribbed Peanut Tank:

Axed Tank:

Gary Littlejohn "Space Coffin":

The "Space Coffin" almost did it for me, but just wasn't quite right so I had to hunt around for a tank. I eventually settled on this Gary Littlejohn Prism:

Unfortunately that tank was in need of a lot of love. Bad Kreem job inside, layers and layers of paint and bondo. Lots of work just to get to square-one.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
JLeather OP
Bike Butcherer

Once I had the tank figured out I tore the bike the rest of the way down. It was early May before I had time to do much more than order parts (of which there were many). While I was working out of town my buddy Matt stopped by and filled in the holes in the fender to prepare for the new seat and sissybar.

I got a new LePera 2-piece seat and a new Paughco sissybar for the bike. Did a quick mockup:

The sissybar is too long. Savior frames mount the bar a lot higher than a rigid frame, at the top of the springboxes. Time to start cutting. I felt a little bad cutting up a brand new sissybar, but what are you gonna do? Sawed about 6 inches off each side and then had to come up with new mounts. Chucked some hex stock in the lathe a cranked out a neat little pair of mounts. They got set-screwed to the cut off legs and voila.

I had LePera send me a blank pan for the sissybar pad which I trimmed to fit and sent back to be matched to the seat. Even looking back now it feels like an extravagance, but I really like the look. I think seats on these choppers are one of the msot overlooked last-minute things that really throw off the overall look if not done right.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
JLeather OP
Bike Butcherer

Fast forward another couple of weeks (because of a quick kitchen remodel that killed my spare time) and it was time for the real tear-down. Everything came apart, frame got sanded back to bare metal and a few little issues fixed. Also made some weld-in threaded bungs for the tank.

Found some gross surprises in the motor. Someone tried to port-match it with a chisel it looks like:

It's coming back out this winter for a rebuild. The 836 motor I was working on had a cracked case, so I'll make 2 outta one once the riding season is over.

Stripped all the Kreem out of the tank and found the lovely rust underneath. A coating of Caswell took care of that and the tank, frame, and fender went to my buddy's place for some paint.

In the meantime I cleaned up the wheels and rebuilt the forks. Had to use some other tubes I had laying around, there were vise teeth marks in the seal area of these tubes!

Old 06-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
JLeather OP
Bike Butcherer

Also cleaned up the rear suspension parts, which came out way nicer than I expected them to.

The motor got a temporary "rattlecan-rebuild". Also mounted my cam cover which was engraved by a friend of mine who was killed in a motorcycle wreck last year. I've had it on a shelf since '09, haven't put together a bike worth mounting it on til now.

About this time I got the frame back and managed to start assembling that. The tank and fender took longer, in fact they were just finished about 10 days ago.

Also, mostly because I can, I made a set of tapered plugs to press in my new AllBalls bearing races:

And shortly after that the bike was a roller!

Old 06-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
JLeather OP
Bike Butcherer

At this point my buddy Matt came over again and wired the bike. He did a killer job, but unfortunately I don't have any pics. I stole a nice little custom speedo out of his stash of parts (all his parts are in my garage) and he wired it up fully functional. Hi beam indicator, neutral light, oil light, etc all from scratch. Also a solid state reg/rec unit. It's all tucked away nicely.

Then it was waiting on paint. I got a few in-progress shots from the painter so I'll post those.

Flake carrier and prism flake:

First round of tape:

More tape:

Now, all I told him was "make it look 70's". He did this whole kandy job in one night, like 17 straight hours, and this is what I got:

Old 06-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,278
Nice
Old 06-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #8
JLeather OP
Bike Butcherer

So, in case you couldn't tell, the name of the bike ended up coming from the tank paint. It was gonna be called either "Night Moves" or "Burt Reynolds" (because what's more 70's than Burt Reynolds?) but after seeing the finished tank the choice was obvious.

And here she is in all her glory:

Matt came over the following Saturday morning with carb gauges and we proceeded to sync and rough-in the carbs before the shakedown run.

Speaking of which, the bike is running a really cool set of SteelDragon airboxes and the ARD magneto:

Here we are out on the test run:

and here we are returning successfully home 80 miles later:

I almost lost the front motormount bolt. Both nuts disappeared and the bolt made it 6" out one side before we got home. Aside from that and a few other growing pains the bike has performed very well. I have just over 700 miles on it since last Saturday. We went to NC and rode the "Snake" 2-up and had a blast.

The carbs are still a bit lean at 120's with the needles all the way up (rich). It's also still really cold-natured but that could just be the permanent 34 degrees of ignition advance :) All in all I'm happy, and that's what matters most. I wlak out into the garage and can't help but smile. Now, onto the next one.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #9
Marco Moto
Voyager

Oddometer: 1,141
Cool!
Old 06-25-2013, 05:48 AM   #10
Mr. Magoo
Follow me; I'm lost!

Oddometer: 4,934
Nice!
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #11
aposaric
Garden mechanic ;-)

Oddometer: 266
It is a nice build :-) I am not really a fan of choppers, but, since I never ridden one, who nows, maybe I start to like them one day :-)

I definitely like it on the picture without the rear seat and without the sisy bar :-) Your friend's Matt's bike look reall cool aswell :-)

Nice story, cheers
aposaric is offline   Reply With Quote