Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #16
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
Coop dropped his gloves and we abandoned his ass.
-GW
What are friends for.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #17
ktmMike
roadscout

Oddometer: 1,235
Quote:
Oh yeah, I'm with Mike on the bug repellent. Take along plenty or you will never survive your first Yukon piss break.

I have a vivid memory of a cloud emerging from the woods and descending upon us. We ran for the bikes and started rolling before we could get the gear back on. Coop dropped his gloves and we abandoned his ass. It turned out okay, he was only anemic for a few days.

-GW
Hi Eli,
Yes, CLOUDS of mosquitoes. That's a great way to describe it.

On the Alcan highway through BC and Yukon, they have to use snowplows on that "pavement" (and I use the term loosely) so often during the snowy seasons, that slivers of steel come off the snowplow blades and rip up tires (not simple punctures as caused by a nail). One of these slashed my rear tire southeast of White Horse Yukon on my trip back. I carried spare tires with me and spare tubes and plugs and tube repair. If you don't carry extra tires with you, you may want to carry interior patches for the tires (we called them "boots"), in addition to spare tubes and patches for the tubes. I stopped to help a guy with a flat tire. The "hole" in the tube straddled a manufacturing seam on the surface of the tube. He never could get it to hold air for long with patches. It went flat on him repeatedly. Eventually he had to put a new tube in it. Be prepared to take care of ANY tire problem miles and miles from anything, and quickly, in clouds of mosquitoes.

ktmMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #18
Katoom119 OP
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmMike View Post
Hi Adam,
You are worried about the wrong things.
With those fuel tanks, you don't need to worry about fuel stops (except the COST of fuel). The biggest gaps between "gas stations" (and I use the term loosely) will be north of Fairbanks and up the pipeline road (it was called Rte 11 when I did it exactly 20 years ago in 1993. It may still be called that). But unless they now have fewer "gas stations," or unless the stations run out of gas, you are going to be just fine on gas.

It's spare tires you need to worry about. Be prepared for tire problems. Take spare everything.

Where to stay? Stay in your WATERPROOF tent. Make sure you have a WATERPROOF tent, or a tarp to cover it. (Inside the tent, I use construction plastic a foot longer in each direction, curved up on the edges).

Pack your WINTER GEAR for BC and Yukon (I was wearing everything I own in July), and make sure you have really, really good rain gear.

AND Take lots of good mosquito repellent, and keep it handy.

Good luck. PM for any questions.

I'm riding up there with Padre and he's allergic to camping so the only thing I'm bringing is my giant rain fly and some survival bivy bags as an "Oh shit" option. I figured I'd be good on gas the way everyone was talking at the RDV but it's easy to psych yourself out.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:57 PM   #19
Katoom119 OP
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRidgeRider View Post
KatoomWife sounds like a wonderful woman! Don't tell us that she's also handy with a wrench. That would be too much! Ride safe. Subscribed.

BluRidgeRider
She's installed numerous things on my bike. You should see her with a chainsaw.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Old 06-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #20
Katoom119 OP
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarmoose View Post
Don't wait too long or there won't be any midnight sun since that was last
week dude. get a move-on. No worries 'bout gas. I've done the alcan on a
bike with a hundred-twenty mile range. Its 95 here in Fairbanks today. Don't
be bringing any cold with you. I'm quite comfortable right now. If you need
anything shout out on the Alaska regional. Talk to Adventure Cycleworks
if you need tires. There are others too. Don't carry tires, what a pain.
have a good ride!
It's surface of the Sun hot in Charlotte so hopefully that won't be the case. Thanks for the info, I'll probably be using it at some point.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #21
Katoom119 OP
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post
Have a great trip Adam! I'm looking forward to reading about your experiences... Enjoy every mile!

Old 06-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #22
Katoom119 OP
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Quote:
Oh yeah, I'm with Mike on the bug repellent. Take along plenty or you will never survive your first Yukon piss break.

I have a vivid memory of a cloud emerging from the woods and descending upon us. We ran for the bikes and started rolling before we could get the gear back on. Coop dropped his gloves and we abandoned his ass. It turned out okay, he was only anemic for a few days.

-GW
From my meeting with Coop he probably just didn't have enough beer in his bloodstream. If I abandon Padre he'll just kick me off the bike when he catches back up. Old hare scramble racers are mean like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmMike View Post
Hi Eli,
Yes, CLOUDS of mosquitoes. That's a great way to describe it.

On the Alcan highway through BC and Yukon, they have to use snowplows on that "pavement" (and I use the term loosely) so often during the snowy seasons, that slivers of steel come off the snowplow blades and rip up tires (not simple punctures as caused by a nail). One of these slashed my rear tire southeast of White Horse Yukon on my trip back. I carried spare tires with me and spare tubes and plugs and tube repair. If you don't carry extra tires with you, you may want to carry interior patches for the tires (we called them "boots"), in addition to spare tubes and patches for the tubes. I stopped to help a guy with a flat tire. The "hole" in the tube straddled a manufacturing seam on the surface of the tube. He never could get it to hold air for long with patches. It went flat on him repeatedly. Eventually he had to put a new tube in it. Be prepared to take care of ANY tire problem miles and miles from anything, and quickly, in clouds of mosquitoes.

We've already got tires ordered and standing by in Anchorage. Fresh set before we leave, fresh set when we get there, and then might have to pick up something along the way once we get back in the states. We're just going to play that one by ear. Since we're both running 19/17 we can stop in just about any motorcycle shop in the country and probably find something that'll work.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #23
NitroRoo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
woohoo it has begun! Subscribed and looking forward to reading about the adventures!
Old 06-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #24
Katoom119 OP
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

So a little background...

As previously stated, law school sucks in a wonderful way. You learn so much that is so useful and actually fun but you have to work so insanely hard to learn everything in a short amount of time. While studying 80 hours a week (and that is no exaggeration in the slightest) everyone is also trying to find internships so that they can learn the little tricks that make the legal profession simpler; where to file what, when, what to make a big deal over, and what to let slide.

So I figure that with a B.S., a B.B.A., and a M.Acc. I should be a shoe-in for a tax attorney internship. I mean, there are only so many schools that even offer a M.Acc. I naively apply...and apply...and apply. I couldn't even find an internship at a CPA firm ("Ma'am, you give me a chair in the hallway and I can do tax returns for you." "No thanks."). So I put in a call to a friend's dad who just happens to be a DA and there's the first summer done. Fast forward to this year and it starts repeating; not even a return "thanks but no thanks" email.

Screw it. I'm not going to bend over backwards and waste a summer begging someone to let me work for them. While I strongly believe in hard work I also know, very personally, that life is short and can be gone in the blink of an eye.

And with that, Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska.

Fast forward to today and the bike has had tires changed

Watered down DEET has been purchased (98.11%, Other ingredients: enough water so your skin doesn't melt off)

And the bike has been packed. And yes, that's a rope come-along strapped to the top. After Rick's RDV I saw a very real need to have some way for one person to haul a 500 lbs. bike out of a ditch.

So in the morning it's breakfast with KatoomWife, throw the scratch made chocolate chip cookies she baked in the top box (Damn can she cook), and point the compass North West.

Old 06-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #25
Katoom119 OP
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclic Rival View Post
As someone that is currently studying for their LSAT and dreams of riding up to Alaska I am signing on to this one.
I've taken the ACT, MCAT, GMAT, and LSAT. The LSAT was the only one I ever took where I got done reading the question and had no earthly idea what in the hell I was supposed to do.

Example: George is in front of Fred, who is behind Dracula, who is in front of Pete. At what altitude is the plane?

If I got in you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroRoo View Post
woohoo it has begun! Subscribed and looking forward to reading about the adventures!

Old 06-30-2013, 05:19 AM   #26
60av8tor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
I've taken the ACT, MCAT, GMAT, and LSAT. The LSAT was the only one I ever took where I got done reading the question and had no earthly idea what in the hell I was supposed to do.

Example: George is in front of Fred, who is behind Dracula, who is in front of Pete. At what altitude is the plane?

If I got in you can.

This is hilarious!! I took the LSAT around '93-'94 and your comment brings back memories as if I took it yesterday - "there are 6 presedential busts on a mantle. Washington cannot be next to Lincoln, Eisenhower can only be next to Kennedy, etc. If Johnson is next to Kennedy, and Carter is to the left of Nixon, who is to the right of Reagan?"

WTF?!!!!! For some reason I kept looking for the "I don't give a f$ck!" answer selection.... After about hour 6, I was in a pretty consistent mode of, "I don't give a shit; c, c, c, c...."

I'm a couple years from retiring from a career as a military helicopter pilot (funny the directions life takes you sometimes when you just roll with it ). I have considered attempting to go back to school when I retire (would have it completely funded), as somewhere in the recesses of my mind it is still a desire. However, this is more of a bucket list item than anything as I have no desire to practice law. Aviation is a true passion (and bikes ) only I didn't know it back then. I have some friends that went the JD route (fewer still that are still involved directly with practicing). Some of the war stories I have heard boggle my mind - years of schooling vs. work conditions, pay, etc. While I sometimes wish I would have pursued a more scholarly path - the path I thought I would travel way back when I knew it all - aviation truly is my passion, and I feel very fortunate to be able to make a living doing what I truly love.

'12 R1200RT
'08 R1200RT (totaled May '13. RIP )
60av8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:50 AM   #27
Katoom119 OP
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Yeah yeah I'm getting there. Got in late to the hotel the last two nights. Should get in earlier tonight when we hit North Dakota and I'll have three days to write up.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #28
Katoom119 OP
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Day 1: Charlotte, NC to Paducah, KY

So the day that I had been both anticipating and dreading at the same time finally arrived: time to head towards Alaska but it means having to say goodbye to KatoomWife. I knew that she was excited that I was going with Padre but that she was going to miss me horribly, but she never said so. After eating breakfast and prolonging goodbyes I finally got on the road at the crack of 9:00. And it was raining.

Hmmm......

So I motor up to Crossville, TN to meet Padre and see Scott and Randy are there waiting to send us off. They'll be flying up and renting from MotoQuest later this month. Talk to them for a few minutes as we share chocolate chip cookies and then get geared up to head the 1/2 mile to mom's house.

As we leave her house Randy snaps a few pictures of GoPro goodness

Other than that it was just a hop on I-40 and make the run to Nashville, through Clarksville, and into Paducah. And it rained on us three different times, one of which was a frog-drowner going over the Kentucky state line.

I'm sensing a theme emerging...

Old 07-03-2013, 04:02 AM   #29
XCRider803
Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
And it rained on us three different times, one of which was a frog-drowner going over the Kentucky state line.

I'm sensing a theme emerging...

That time of year, you'll get out of it eventually.
XCRider803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #30
Katoom119 OP
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Addendum to Day 1

So there I was headed down I-40 between Genesis Road Exit and Hwy 127 Exit when the bike coughs once, catches, then dies.

With me in the left lane.

Somehow I don't get run over. Somehow I don't have any traffic beside me in the right lane. Somehow I manage to get to the emergency lane before the bike drops 10 mph.

Yeah, I don't really believe in coincidence, so I'm going to say He gave me a bit of help, especially since it was 1/4 mile from a major truck stop and there's always tractor-trailers headed that way.

Anyway, I"m on the side of the road thinking "WTF?" and I pop open the right gas tank. Full of fuel. Pop open the left tank. Atacama desert dry.

About that time the little hamster in my head wakes up, shotguns a Red Bull, and spins the little wheel fast enough to make my law-school smoked brain realize that the fuel isn't transferring. So I pull out my handy dandy siphon hose and transfer about 3 gallons over. Turn the key a couple of times to prime the pump and we're cooking with diesel.

Now, this may or may not have pictures associated with it. They may have been deleted, in which case this never happened.