Oddometer: 331
Subscribed

Old 07-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #47
Katoom119 OP
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by advtenn View Post
Ok, I'm on board Adam! The adventure is starting very early in this thread.

Oh! and yes, KatoomWife is a really good cook. I could go for some more brownies right now. I cant speak for wrenching and running a chainsaw.

Ride safe!

Buy my Rev'It suit and I'll get her to throw some in.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #48
Katoom119 OP
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroRoo View Post
Hope you are enjoying each day, without getting too hot or too wet. It's been both back home!
I'm enjoying every day, and yeah it's been pouring here in Charlotte.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Old 07-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #49
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Oddometer: 1,564

Hey!!
HappyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #50
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 9,799
Old 07-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #51
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
it's been pouring here in Charlotte.
So...you never left?
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #52
EBMOTT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Thumb fantastic intro

I AM IN .
PAINTED THE PERFECT PICTURE.
EBMOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #53
Katoom119 OP
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Day 3: Waterloo, IA to Jamestown, ND

Today would be an important day, as you'll soon find out.

The day started early as we were trying to make Jamestown, North Dakota where we had already booked a room. We were going to head North West through Minot into Canada the next day and Jamestown seemed a convenient place to stay for the night right on the interstate.

Since I was in need of a brake light bulb Padre ran over to Advance Auto right next door to pick one up for me. Turns out that the Austrian engineers don't think like the German engineers and use motorcycle specific bulbs.

And they didn't have one. But try a Harley shop.

Crap.

We decided to just not worry about it now, have Padre follow along behind me, and I would just use the old trackday hand in the air to tell him I'm stopping. The closest Harley shop was 45 miles in the wrong direction.

Headed back North on 218 before we started heading West to catch I-35 into Minneapolis. Out riding along in the prairie, seeing corn, corn, and more corn, I was surprised. I didn't see the "amber waves of grain" but just a handful of places. Only reason I can think of is that the corn is being used for ethanol because it would be the ONLY crop I'd see in 500+ miles of riding, every day.

So we're riding along and I see a windmill. Oh how cool, the last time I saw one up close was in Oak Ridge. Then I saw another. And another. Turns out there's a windfarm in the middle of Iowa.

Right after that I see a big sign for a Harley shop. Here? In corn country? There's nothing out here, no towns, nothing. Sure enough...

To the right of the picture is a stand of trees and inside those trees is the owner's home. Best I can figure is that he wanted a Harley shop and just put one in where is barn used to be. We stopped thinking that we might find a bulb for my brake light.

Guard dog, Joe

After a bit of hunting the parts managers says he's found one, so with complete and utter shame..........I take my bike a part in a Harley-Davidson parking lot.

Oh the humanity.

Get the bulb put in only to realize that it's not the bulb. Well if it's not the bulb, or the fuse, or the front or rear levers, then there has to be a break in the wiring. And I'm not about to tear into that right now. Oh well.

We make it I-35 and head North into Minnesota. My initial impression was it was instantly greener. It's funny how at times the borders of states are also seemingly the borders of biology; I can go from Tennessee into North Carolina above Roan Mountain and the snow will always start right at the state line, every time. If Iowa had a "burnt grass" color to it then Minnesota was "we just got out of a flood" green.

As we're riding along I see something reflect up above a stand of trees.

"Odd," I think to myself. "Why would a squirrel need a signal mirror?" In retrospect I think it might have been time for a break.

But I knew I had seen something glint so it was either a foo fighter or...

I've always read about crop dusters but I've never seen one in person. When my grandfather learned to fly, the owner of the plane told him to stop buzzing the fields. He denied this but the owner pointed to berries that were in the engine bay; he was shaking them off the ground and sucking them up behind the prop wash. When I watched this pilot I could see my grandpa goofing off in the plane before heading to the South Pacific.

The rest of the day was pretty uneventful. I think I saw smoke from a fire.

I marveled at how many ponds there were in Minnesota (I know, I know, "Lakes"). There must be some good bass fishing in them. Or is this walleye/pike/muskie country?

Stopped for some water right before North Dakota and met Fred

While we're sitting there this guy comes up wearing a Harley shirt and asks us where we're headed. "Alaska." "Oh man, great ride, did it about 10 years ago on a Harley." Turns out he took an Ultra Glide up there and said it was the wrong bike for the trip. Apparently at that time it was mostly gravel. He left with a brand new bike and when he got back there wasn't a single bit of paint on the bottom of it.

Something else very poignant occurred: Padre had gone inside to get something and I'm leaning up against the bike texting KatoomWife when this kid (14-16) opens his car door. "Hey have you been to all those states?" I didn't get it until I looked to where he was pointing. Before we left I bought those US state sticker packs for RV's and had put them on our right side panniers. When I left I had 25 states down and by this point had added 5 more. "Sure have." "Man that's so cool," and that was it.

Later I pondered this and realized how fortunate I am. Fortunate to be physically able to ride and to have had the opportunity and ability to travel like I have. I mentioned this to Padre and he said matter-of-factly in his unique Padre tone "Son some people don't travel very far from home for whatever reason." My grandpa, the pilot, didn't want my dad to grow up thinking Crossville, TN was the only thing in the world so he took his family all over the country. Dad has done the same with me and if I ever have kids I intend to do the same with them.

Travel is the fastest way to open a person's eyes.

But i digress...

Finally made it to North Dakota

And the landscape changed again

I learned that anytime you want to find the farmhouse you just look for the only stand of trees for 5 miles in any direction

I got bored

I've never been to a place, other than the beach, where I can see the curve of the Earth

I rode for about 15 miles with the throttle locked and me leaning back against my dry bag

We make it to the Holiday Inn in Jamestown and head down the street to Grizzly's. Soon as you walk in the front door you're greeted with this

Being in beef country we both order the brisket, which was outstanding, but we hear the older couple behind us talking. They'd gotten their food but there wasn't any steak sauce on the table. The husband tried to get his wife not to ask for any but she did anyway, to which the Montanan waiter replied "I'll be more than happy to get you some but you shouldn't need it here." The husband was a bit embarrassed.

Remember how I said today would be an important day?

At a gas stop somewhere in Minnesota I got off the bike just done. I told Padre, "This just isn't fun. I mean I love riding with you but this isn't fun." We pull over to the grass and sit in the shade for a bit talking about it. Padre knew exactly what I meant and that interstate miles were hard miles. I mentioned I missed KatoomWife horribly and didn't know how I could stand to be away from her for a month. Padre replied that he had noticed how I had been texting her or calling her at every stop and that riding to Alaska was a big endeavor. I had done my homework and knew from Charlotte to Anchorage was 4,500 miles but I just couldn't wrap my head around it.

Padre's response shows why he's the greatest dad in the world: "You miss KatoomWife? Then let's go home. We can still fly up and rent bikes if we want." *crunch crunch as he ate M&M's*

Here we had spent a not inconsiderable amount of time planning, not to mention the last few days riding, our Alaska trip and when I state it was going to be too long to be away from my bride, he goes "no big deal". He said that if it hadn't been for me that he'd have done that in the first place but that he's had a great time riding so far and watching me see new states.

Padre: "We didn't make it all the way to Alaska, but who cares? We still made it to North Dakota."

Yep, and it was a great ride up.

Thanks Padre.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #54
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,478

And I was just starting to enjoy the northward portion of this RR. . ..

NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:22 PM   #55
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
At a gas stop somewhere in Minnesota I got off the bike just done. I told Padre, "This just isn't fun. I mean I love riding with you but this isn't fun." We pull over to the grass and sit in the shade for a bit talking about it. Padre knew exactly what I meant and that interstate miles were hard miles. I mentioned I missed KatoomWife horribly and didn't know how I could stand to be away from her for a month. Padre replied that he had noticed how I had been texting her or calling her at every stop and that riding to Alaska was a big endeavor. I had done my homework and knew from Charlotte to Anchorage was 4,500 miles but I just couldn't wrap my head around it.

Padre's response shows why he's the greatest dad in the world: "You miss KatoomWife? Then let's go home. We can still fly up and rent bikes if we want." *crunch crunch as he ate M&M's*

Here we had spent a not inconsiderable amount of time planning, not to mention the last few days riding, our Alaska trip and when I state it was going to be too long to be away from my bride, he goes "no big deal". He said that if it hadn't been for me that he'd have done that in the first place but that he's had a great time riding so far and watching me see new states.

Padre: "We didn't make it all the way to Alaska, but who cares? We still made it to North Dakota."

Yep, and it was a great ride up.

Thanks Padre.
You've read my report and know I went through a similar period of doubt/discouragement. Miles of nothingness doesn't do anything to help. I know pretty much what you felt...except I was alone, and was just engaged (not married yet). The enormity of a big trip like that doesn't hit you in the planning stages, but it sure does when you miss someone and you're nowhere close to being done. I was able to push through, and I'm really glad I did, but I understand where you were coming from no doubt. Good on your pops for being understanding.

Guess I was right about you being back in town?

When's your flight out?
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:29 AM   #56
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by idave View Post
rock on adam! Alaska and the rest of the world will be there waiting when the time is right. Mad kudos to padre and katoomwife. It's good to have wonderful people in our lives to provide us with healthy perspectives and proper alignment of priorities. We'll be here when you return to the road, and pick up the pen.
+1
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:33 AM   #57
NitroRoo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Well that was a surprise twist

Not going to say I wouldn't have done the same for my wife. That just means we have good 'uns
Old 07-10-2013, 06:53 AM   #58
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 697

At least you are following your heart and doing what your heart tells you. So now that you have the whole month with the bride, what are you gonna do?
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #59
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,577
You went until it was no longer fun,a long trip on a bike requires a lot of energy.When I used to sail small boats off shore,I would tell people when 50 miles or more off shore its rough and if you don't want to be there its really rough,I think long trips on motorcycles are the same,the ride up was fun and to see your wife will be better,she is probably a really neat person and its nice you missed her so much,love is good don't loose it.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #60
BluRidgeRider
Long Rider

Oddometer: 404
Adam:

Welcome back!

Many years ago, as a young child, my niece complained to her mother that her sprinkles were all gone and she still had most of the ice cream cone left. Her mother replied, when you're older you'll learn to space the sprinkles out so that they last throughout the whole cone. To which I replied, that's the good news! But the bad news is -- by the time you figure that out, you'll be too old to want sprinkles.

Isn't it ironic that, if you had a wife/girlfriend that you wouldn't mind being away from for a long period of time, she'd be the one that wasn't understanding and would complain bitterly if you wanted to travel. (Plus, she more than likely couldn't handle a wrench and would be a terrible cook).

Like you, I'm lucky to have a wonderful wife who I hate to be away from for any period of time.

Numa
BluRidgeRider is offline   Reply With Quote