Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #76
Katoom119 OP
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
You went until it was no longer fun,a long trip on a bike requires a lot of energy.When I used to sail small boats off shore,I would tell people when 50 miles or more off shore its rough and if you don't want to be there its really rough,I think long trips on motorcycles are the same,the ride up was fun and to see your wife will be better,she is probably a really neat person and its nice you missed her so much,love is good don't loose it.
Yeah, the closest thing I can relate it to would be when I used to race bicycles for my school and you'd be done after 2 hours, knowing you have to pound out another one. The riding was fun but once you had to gut it out it sucked. Better to finish while it's still fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRidgeRider View Post
Adam:

Welcome back!

Many years ago, as a young child, my niece complained to her mother that her sprinkles were all gone and she still had most of the ice cream cone left. Her mother replied, when you're older you'll learn to space the sprinkles out so that they last throughout the whole cone. To which I replied, that's the good news! But the bad news is -- by the time you figure that out, you'll be too old to want sprinkles.

Isn't it ironic that, if you had a wife/girlfriend that you wouldn't mind being away from for a long period of time, she'd be the one that wasn't understanding and would complain bitterly if you wanted to travel. (Plus, she more than likely couldn't handle a wrench and would be a terrible cook).

Like you, I'm lucky to have a wonderful wife who I hate to be away from for any period of time.

Numa
Hell I'm 29 and still get rainbow sprinkles every time I go to Marble Slab!

I think that's the best quote I've ever seen on ADV Rider and it's true; KatoomWife was the first woman I ever dated that I would come home early on the weekends from riding sportbikes so I could get cleaned up to see her. She was prepared to be away from me for 5 out of 6 straight weeks and never gave me a hard time about it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohman View Post
Are you riding the Dalton to Deadhorse? Simply the best part of my AK trip.
When I go back I will, I also want to ride the Dempster. The guys that were meeting us weren't going to be able to do it so that was a bummer in and of itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
Some rides just go that way. I have come back from a ride or two early, just because I missed my family. Then there have been other rides where I had to turn back before I wanted too, because I was running out of time.

Anyway, I like your writing style. Thanks for sharing this, and I hope you will post some more soon.
Thanks, I appreciate that. I'll try to get some more trips in before school starts back up this year. I've experienced the same things you have and yeah, sometimes you'd just rather be home.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #77
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Oddometer: 1,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrout View Post
Whoa! people here get all kinds of butt-hurt when they end up not being able to live vicariously through someone else's ride. Get a grip y'all at least he was honest about the situation and decided to go home early rather than be miserable for a month.
j

+1
HappyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:52 PM   #78
Katoom119 OP
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCRNA View Post
Why have a heart to follow if you're not gonna listen to it?
Be well and carry on!
Absolutely! Had any more flats on the Zook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat_locker View Post
What? Bummer. Was just getting into it.
"Tune in again, next year, same place"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
We should have a contest! I vote for "Alaska may go to Hell and I will go to North Dakota".

I was thinking "Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska, but I turned around in North Dakota because Alaska is a long damn way away and it's too long for me to be away from my kickass wife".

Then I thought it might have been too long for the forum to handle.

I tried to use the strike through font on "Alaska" and type in North Dakota next to it but I couldn't figure out how to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCRider803 View Post
That's good. One of the companies I take care of is in Waverly. I definitely connected with the corn pics. Corn, soy beans and gloomy sky. All you need is a bullet in your head to finish it off.
Bloody hell I have no idea what people do out there for fun. It'd be a great place to fly a kite and watch grass grow but I saw nothing else.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Old 07-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #79
Katoom119 OP
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohman View Post
How did I miss this? You missed your wife and realized its a long trip? WTF!

At a gas stop somewhere in Minnesota I got off the bike just done. I told Padre, "This just isn't fun. I mean I love riding with you but this isn't fun." We pull over to the grass and sit in the shade for a bit talking about it. Padre knew exactly what I meant and that interstate miles were hard miles. I mentioned I missed KatoomWife horribly and didn't know how I could stand to be away from her for a month. Padre replied that he had noticed how I had been texting her or calling her at every stop and that riding to Alaska was a big endeavor. I had done my homework and knew from Charlotte to Anchorage was 4,500 miles but I just couldn't wrap my head around it.

Yep. Sure did. Last year when I went to the Isle of Man I missed her but thought I could handle being away from her for a month. I was wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDanimal View Post
Have you ever sat down to poop and just ended up peeing sitting down?? that;s how I feel after reading this..

I've never been married so I really dont know what you're going thru, but I've pooped a lot.
Hope you get a chance to find someone you love enough to where this makes sense one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrout View Post
Whoa! people here get all kinds of butt-hurt when they end up not being able to live vicariously through someone else's ride. Get a grip y'all at least he was honest about the situation and decided to go home early rather than be miserable for a month.
Thanks. One thing I've always liked about iDave's and Radioman's reports is they'll tell it exactly how they experience it. I want to be the same way.

Did I quit? Absolutely.

Did I have a good reason? For me, hell yeah.

Do I regret it? Not one bit.

I've still got a couple of days to write up and some video to edit. Hoping I got me waving to the South Dakota county mounties when I blew by them at 15 over. I've never had anyone return a wave so fast.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #80
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170

Did I quit? Absolutely.

Did I have a good reason? For me, hell yeah.

Do I regret it? Not one bit.

You didn't quit in my opinion. Quiting usually implies thinking things like "I can't". You changed your mind, there is a difference. Hope to see you next Thursday at Hawthorne's. I can't wait to hear about it.

2008 KLR 650
Paratrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #81
slick_kipper
i'm supposed 2b this way

Oddometer: 139
Ha. Interesting reading experience.

Almost makes me want to throw together a RR about my 2010 trip to AK, just to
(in the words of H. Thompson) "FINISH the f***ing story man!"

Almost
slick_kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #82
ManiZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Good for you. You did what was right for you and the wife. As someone already said, Alaska will be there when you're ready; perhaps even with the mrs. along.
ManiZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:40 AM   #83
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Oddometer: 1,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoom119 View Post
Hope you get a chance to find someone you love enough to where this makes sense one day.

You didn't quit in my opinion. Quiting usually implies thinking things like "I can't". You changed your mind, there is a difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiZ View Post
Good for you. You did what was right for you and the wife. As someone already said, Alaska will be there when you're ready; perhaps even with the mrs. along.
All this^^^^ +1 !!

(and thankfully, no more flats!!)
HappyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #84
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Good for you. I think I would have a hard time being away from my wife that long also. I work sometimes 10 days straight and start getting cranky. Been married for 18 years tomorrow and every time I come home it's like we are still on our honeymoon. The only real bad part about it is she doesn't have the passion for motorcycles as I do but on the other hand she doesn't get in my way either about it. She will go on short rides but has no desire to ever go on a long trip. But I don't share her passion for running either. lol.. We are different in many ways but she still the most Amazing woman ever. It's great to have someone you can feel like this with. Looking forward to more of your ride reports..
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #85
Yellow Iron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,961
This RR had me hooked from the start. Right until it hit the skids.
2 Months before I was married I went to the BMW MOA rally in Dequoin Il . I had reservations about going but in hindsight I don't regret on bit. 20 some years later I wish I could scrape together the time and $$ to pull off any kind of 2 week MC trip.
You riding with Padre is also great for you enjoy it.
I had got the chance only 1 summer to get to ride with 2 of my 3 uncles and my cousins.
Enjoy the rest of your trip and please post us up an update.
Good Luck
Old 07-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #86
Katoom119 OP
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Day 4: Jamestown, ND to Sioux City, IA

I have always enjoyed walking South. It feels like I am walking downhill. - Treebeard, Lord of the Rings

In many ways that's what today felt like; everything was just easier. Padre and I finally got off the interstate and onto some highways so it just felt like a calmer pace.

Woke up early and had finally gotten a rhythm packing all of our crap. My chain was in serious need of some chain lube so we, again, swung by the 327th Harley shop we'd passed on our trip. Yeah, they're all belt drives, but surely they'l at least have a can of lube in the back. Wrong. We did, however, see a neat little gas can that was designed to fit inside a saddlebag.

After procuring the chain lube from the local snowmobile shop (first time I've ever been in one of those) it was time to head towards Aberdeen.

I have been to many places all over the world, done many interesting things (like running up the stairs at the Eiffel Tower ), and seen many wondrous sights, but I've never been to a place where you can stand on flat ground and see the curvature of the Earth.

And even though I've lived in a farming community for the vast majority of my life I have yet to see a place where the right of ways are large enough to bale hay.

As we travelled on a straight road that did not curve or turn for 40 miles my mind started wandering. The roads being so straight got me thinking about the ancient Romans and their road system; every road was dead straight. They accomplished this with a certain tool to help keep everything lined up, essentially an "X" shaped apparatus where they would take the two rearward arms and sight them on the edge of the road that had already been constructed and then the two forward arms (which were closer together, if my memory is correct) would delineate where the road that had yet to be constructed should be placed.

When my mind wanders it switches on the History Channel. Hi, I'm Adam, and I'm a nerd.

So when that was over I got to thinking about the people that actually crossed this land on the Oregon and Missouri Trails. Obviously I'm a fair distance away from them but seeing as how the landscape didn't change for 500 miles I allowed myself to think it was the same. In a world where people have to use GPS and Siri to find out where the closest Autozone is (BTDT) these settlers followed their belief in Manifest Destiny and started walking towards the setting sun. They would have been ecstatic to see something like this...

because it meant that they were either on the correct trail or had just happened to find someone with shelter and very likely water.

After a brief commercial break, my mind then changed programs to thinking about how the new settlers out West would need to communicate with their friends and families back East. Cue these boys.

There have been several people who have followed their trails, CannonShot and Questor come to mind, and they have taken pictures showing...nothing. Absolute middle of nowhere, which at the time was actually middle of Indian Territory.

I mentioned this to Padre at a gas stop: "Oh yeah, now you can understand why a horse thief was shot on sight. It was a death sentence to not have a horse."

Miles and miles of nothingness...

...save for corn and hay

We finally started to see some form of civilization as we got closer to the interstate.

I-29 looked strikingly similar to the highways we'd just come off, even had the same speed limits.

Somewhere about 90 miles before Sioux City, IA we stopped to give a good old Tennessee family some money at a Pilot station, and by "good old" I mean the multi-millionaire's the Haslams.

Got to the hotel and it turns out it was right on the river with Nebraska being on the other side. I looked at the map and thought, "You know, we could cross over and ride a highway that parallels the interstate and I could knock Nebraska and Kansas off my list as well..."

Old 07-15-2013, 11:59 AM   #87
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Thanks.

Great pics. I grew up between Idaho and my grandparent's dairy farm in South Dakota. Looking at your map you would have likely passed the farm driving south of Aberdeen near Wolsey SD. The great plains are really amazing and for most folks who grow up on the east coast, they are usually surprised at the vastness of the area and how long it can take to get anywhere. The Canadian plains are even better (or worse) depending on your perspective.

Thanks for bringing back some memories for me and lighting up my Monday afternoon.

2008 KLR 650

Paratrout screwed with this post 07-15-2013 at 06:08 PM
Paratrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #88
ricohman
Marinoni man

Oddometer: 1,978
I can't believe you are actually reporting your ride back home.
Lots of people wouldn't have the balls...............
ricohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #89
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,023
I'll happily admit to cutting a trip short because I missed my family. I skipped a couple days in Utah's national parks, blamed the rain (it was the storm that wiped out White Rim a few years back) but the 800 mile shot from SW Utah to NE CO in a day was in large part due to wanting to see my wife. Don't tell her that though...

I'm bummed I can't live vicariously through your report, my planned itinerary would have had me in Fairbanks today between riding the Dempster and the Dalton. However my second daughter decided to torpedo those plans in the same way she torpedoed my wife's generic birth control in order to join us :). She's lucky she's cute, I've got a feeling she'll be a little hellion.

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #90
JNXPILOT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Hey Adam,

we met at Rick's RDV last year. Camped behind you with a KLR. I was bummed, like most here, that you made a 180 and headed downhill. But I totaly understand. I am blessed with a wife who 'allows' me to fly planes for a living, ride bikes, and play in a couple of bands. Never once in 27 years has she bowed up when I've announced I'm leaving in 2 hours and don't know when I'll be back. Coming home is allways sweet!

Riding the plains of the midwest is definitely different than the southeastern part of the country. I've lived in Kansas and Oklahoma and enjoyed both states, but was glad to get back to NC!

A couple years ago I had a layover in Beatrice, Nebraska. Beartice is the location of the first Homestead claim. There is a National Park there now and they have tried to make the land look like it did back in 1865. I enjoyed walking the land and tried to imagine what it must have been like to start with nothing and have nowhere to get anything. Talk about survivalist! The museum is small but very interesting. The last homestead was claimed up in Alaska in the '70s by a Vietnam vet, if I remember correctly.

Safe travels. This is still an ADVenture! I'll have to plan better for the RDV next year.