User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
UtahGuido OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,280
TLR200 Troubleshooting

Along with the carb problems I've been experiencing I seem to have developed an ignition problem as well. I have no spark at the plug. I'm working through the troubleshooting and this evening I measured the resistance on the coil. The manual it says that the primary coil resistance should be 0.15 to 0.2 ohms. Mine measured 1.0 ohms. Loocking around on the web sit seems most coils have resistances around 3-5 ohms. So what's up do you think is up? Are the manual specs correct? Those valus seem low. At 1.0 ohms is my coils suspect? Any ignition experts in here? 'Cause I sure ain't.

I'm hoping this is going to be something simple. I need to try a new plug but rest the wiring ought to be pretty good as I went through it all not long ago. Might have missed something though. Hopefully it's not the stator.

If I have to replace any of the main components any thoughts on which way to go, original OEM of aftermarket? Different model of 200 engine? I actually have one of those chinese CDI units which I could wire in. But right now I'm wondering about that coil.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:21 AM   #2
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahGuido View Post
Along with the carb problems I've been experiencing I seem to have developed an ignition problem as well. I have no spark at the plug. I'm working through the troubleshooting and this evening I measured the resistance on the coil. The manual it says that the primary coil resistance should be 0.15 to 0.2 ohms. Mine measured 1.0 ohms. Loocking around on the web sit seems most coils have resistances around 3-5 ohms. So what's up do you think is up? Are the manual specs correct? Those valus seem low. At 1.0 ohms is my coils suspect? Any ignition experts in here? 'Cause I sure ain't.

I'm hoping this is going to be something simple. I need to try a new plug but rest the wiring ought to be pretty good as I went through it all not long ago. Might have missed something though. Hopefully it's not the stator.

If I have to replace any of the main components any thoughts on which way to go, original OEM of aftermarket? Different model of 200 engine? I actually have one of those chinese CDI units which I could wire in. But right now I'm wondering about that coil.

Never ever had a TLR source coil fail. I would suggest very carefully checking the wiring before anything else, particularly the CDI unit earth, and obviously disconnect the kill switch to rule that out.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
UtahGuido OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks TW. I gotta think its something simple - it (the ignition) was working fine, then it wasn't. First I'll get a new plug. The Honda shop down in SLC is open today. They should have one. Then go from there.

Got anther problem with the carb, which I finally took apart a couple days ago (I hate having two competing issues at once). I took out the main jet, with the baffle thingy, and the jet holder and according to the diagram there's a needle jet up in there too. Well in my case there was nothing up there that looked like a needle jet; certainly nothing that came out. I peered into the orifice and the hole at the top where I expect the needle jet to be was much larger that what I would think would seat a needle. What are the chances of the engine running without a needle jet? Does the needle jet sit passively on top of the main jet holder or is it fixed in there somehow?

This thing is schooling me.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Honda-...item27d2cead81

That carb will work perfectly on a TLR, and the jetting is perfect out of the box. Before buying any ignition related parts, remove the plug cap, and check for spark from end of the lead to earth. If you have a spark, then dry plug off with a gas torch, refit it and bike should then start.

Its almost a complete waste of time fitting new parts to worn out old carbs, and one of those Ebay ones is a much better idea. I have seen all sorts of weird and wonderful suggestions to do with TLR carbs, very few of which are actually going to do much to improve things at all.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,133
The needle jet is the part the main jet screws into. 16139-107-710
So still no spark? Did you try taking off the plug cap and trimming the coil wire? The cap itself can be bad. As Twinshock (first usefull info I agree with) said double check all the grounds.
I`ve never seen a reflex have any ignition problems other than created by the owner. And I`m the only person that I ever heard of that had a kickstarter spring break.
I`ve got a spare spring and gasket set if anyone ever needs it! It`s only been kicking around my parts box for twenty years!
lineaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #6
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,133
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-REFLEX...742#vi-content
My self I would just use your carb.
lineaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
UtahGuido OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
So still no spark? Did you try taking off the plug cap and trimming the coil wire? The cap itself can be bad. As Twinshock (first usefull info I agree with) said double check all the grounds.
I`ve never seen a reflex have any ignition problems other than created by the owner. And I`m the only person that I ever heard of that had a kickstarter spring break.
I`ve got a spare spring and gasket set if anyone ever needs it! It`s only been kicking around my parts box for twenty years!
Kickstarter. I fear for it the amount of time I spend kicking it over. Must be gentle.

No progress yet today - finishing wood and doing a bit of gardening. But this evening I'll go over all the wiring, grounds, etc., and make sure all is copacetic. Then maybe take another peer at the carb. I'll let you know how it shakes out.

Edit: And of course thank you much, the all of yuz.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

First thing to do on a TLR which was running and suddenly stops, is to remove plug cap, check for spark between end of HT lead and head.

If there are carb problems, then not running may be simply down to a plug which is earthing out due to contamination with excess fuel.

Cure for this is to fit new carb, which will mean an end to problems in that area, and maybe give the bike a good service at the same time.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
UtahGuido OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
First thing to do on a TLR which was running and suddenly stops, is to remove plug cap, check for spark between end of HT lead and head.

If there are carb problems, then not running may be simply down to a plug which is earthing out due to contamination with excess fuel.

Cure for this is to fit new carb, which will mean an end to problems in that area, and maybe give the bike a good service at the same time.
I know, the new carb route. But I'm going to give this one a shot and see if I can't get it to work right.

As far as the ignition goes it's somewhat reassuring what lineaway said about all the ignition problems he's seen being caused by the owner. If I screwed it up I ought to be able to fix it.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #10
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahGuido View Post
I know, the new carb route. But I'm going to give this one a shot and see if I can't get it to work right.

As far as the ignition goes it's somewhat reassuring what lineaway said about all the ignition problems he's seen being caused by the owner. If I screwed it up I ought to be able to fix it.
That, right there, is a perfect Signature line for someone in this Forum.
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #11
UtahGuido OP
Beastly Adventurer

Okay, I have spark. I checked all the ground connections, fiddled with the one coming out of the CDI (I need to put a new connector on this one) and got a new spark plug. Voile'! Spark. I'll see it fires up tomorrow but with a sketchy carburetor I'll probably end up fouling my new plug.

So what do you guys prefer for making electrical connections? I like the OEM 3.5 mm bullet connectors, which it seems I'd have to order online. Or do you just use auto store spade connectors and some solder? Or what?
Old 06-26-2013, 03:53 AM   #12
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

OE type connectors soldered on are probably best. Bad CDI ground is very very common, but is easily fixed.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:14 AM   #13
LarryDawg
trials nut

Oddometer: 74
bullet connectors

you can buy very similar bullet connectors from O'reillys.. I use them when I build Harleys. I pull of the plastic , solder them then shrink tube them after I make the connections, never have had a failure.
LarryDawg
Old 06-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #14
UtahGuido OP
Beastly Adventurer

These guys (or this guy maybe) seems to have a pretty comprehensive selection of connectors. I like the idea of making my own wiring harnesses.

Edit: But that can run into some dough. I totalled up an order last night that was around $100. Of course, you're getting some good raw material for modifications with that money.

UtahGuido screwed with this post 06-26-2013 at 08:51 AM
UtahGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:36 AM   #15
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Not the only one, and are you talking about the spring that runs the compression release? I have heard of it, and not figured out how to prevent it, lol.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote