ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Trials
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #31
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: nm
Oddometer: 2,425
That is true concerning AMAL carbs. Amal was the most replaced carb ever made. At the same time it greatly helped Mikuni make a name for it self!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:29 AM   #32
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahGuido View Post
Carburetor as wear item. I read that and thought, what the heck in a carburetor wears out besides the jets, and they're replaceable? And gaskets too. So I googled the topic and came up with this, concerning Amal carburetors:

source: http://www.amr-of-tucson.com/carb_facts.html

Seeing as how the needle jet in these TLR cabs appears to be embedded up in the carb body and not replaceable you may have a point. A new carb probably would be a good thing, sometime, eventually, down the line. I wonder, however, about the quality of those chinese units on eBay.

The OE TLR carb tends to suffer from wear to the following areas: Needle and needle jet, float needle and needle seating, throttle slide and carb body, there is a also a fair chance on bikes that have been unused for some while that the float may be porous.

Any carb which is almost 30 years old can be improved to a degree by fitting new parts, but in most cases wear to the carb body will mean its never going to work as well as a new carb.

In the case of the TLR direct replacement Taiwanese carbs are easily available, so its rather silly to spend time and money messing around with badly worn OE Honda carbs.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #33
UtahGuido OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
UtahGuido's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Spine 'O the Wasatch
Oddometer: 4,588
Okay, so I got the #40 pilot jet from this site: http://4into1.com/slow-jet-40-for-ke...f-cb500-cb750/

Cheap too and it came in the mail quite quickly. Here it is compared to the original:



The little (emulsifier?) holes in the 40 jet seem a wee bit smaller than on the 38, visually anyway, but otherwise the dimensions are the same and it screws right in.

The bike ran great but when I pulled the plug it was pretty black again, about like before. So I swapped the 38 back in and it made no difference in the plug. Still black, but maybe a little less. With the 40 jet it did feet like there was a bit more oomph in the bottom end but for now I'm going with the 38.

Then I messed around with the air filter. I had ordered a K&N conversion from B&J and thought this would be a good time to try it out. I oiled it up and in my impatience stuck it in the airbox before the oils was all dry. Damn near choked the engine - would hardly run, plug oily and nasty. So out it came and back went the stock unit. Bike ran fine again but the plug looks like charcoal. And that's where things sit.

A note about my air filter: when I got the bike the air filter foam just sort of disintegrated when I tried to remove it. The local parts store (shout out to Wrights Motorcycle Supply in SLC - good shop) didn't have a replacement but the kid helping me out suggested using a sheet of bulk TwinAir foam cut to size and wrapped around the filter frame. So that's what I have:



No before you say, "Oh my god! Restrictive! Restrictive!" it's not. After the K&N debacle I wanted to compare the air flow of my TwinAir creation. I wiped the grease off the inlet end, placed it over my mouth and inhaled. There is virtually no air resistance coming through that filter, hardly more than if there was no filter at all. Bonus! The oily K&N on the other hand was noticeably restrictive. (Having dried out the K&N is now quite a bit better. Not as good as my foam unit though.)

So I'm done futzing with the carb. I may put a fresh plug in and see if it stays something less than black but it runs, it works, it's fine - for now.
__________________
The SOP says to skin the cat just so.
UtahGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #34
UtahGuido OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
UtahGuido's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Spine 'O the Wasatch
Oddometer: 4,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
The OE TLR carb tends to suffer from wear to the following areas: Needle and needle jet, float needle and needle seating, throttle slide and carb body, there is a also a fair chance on bikes that have been unused for some while that the float may be porous.

Any carb which is almost 30 years old can be improved to a degree by fitting new parts, but in most cases wear to the carb body will mean its never going to work as well as a new carb.

In the case of the TLR direct replacement Taiwanese carbs are easily available, so its rather silly to spend time and money messing around with badly worn OE Honda carbs.
What you say is probably true to some extent TS but one might say that its rather silly to spend time and money messing around with a badly worn motorcycle in the first place.
__________________
The SOP says to skin the cat just so.
UtahGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #35
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahGuido View Post
What you say is probably true to some extent TS but one might say that its rather silly to spend time and money messing around with a badly worn motorcycle in the first place.

Those who fit new sprockets without a new chain at the same time, are probably the same people who mess around fitting new parts to worn out old carbs?

If a new carb isnt available I can see fitting new parts to improve things a little is a good idea, but in the case of the TLR new carbs that are direct replacement for OE cost less than $50, so cant really see any reason not to fit new?
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #36
UtahGuido OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
UtahGuido's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Spine 'O the Wasatch
Oddometer: 4,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Those who fit new sprockets without a new chain at the same time, are probably the same people who mess around fitting new parts to worn out old carbs?

If a new carb isnt available I can see fitting new parts to improve things a little is a good idea, but in the case of the TLR new carbs that are direct replacement for OE cost less than $50, so cant really see any reason not to fit new?

For the educational value? Besides, you know what they say, "A bird in the hand is worth two on Ebay." Or something like that. Anyway, the point is this bloody thing is running and has the all the power of a young steer so what I really need to be doing is be riding it. Any Utards have Monday and Tuesday off to practice?

Or Sunday afternoon?
__________________
The SOP says to skin the cat just so.
UtahGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #37
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.
 
brewtus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Albuquerque, not New, not Mexico.......
Oddometer: 2,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahGuido View Post
After the K&N debacle....
I really should not be here, but....

What "debacle"??? They work. Period. Myself and others have had them clog (in Dual-Sport bikes) to the point that the bike will no longer run in horridly dusty conditions (mine and other XR600Rs, among other makes and models), yet not one trace of dirt was found in the intake tracts afterwards. The XR100R filter literally drops right in to the TL200R airbox with the only modification being a bit of a bend to the filter holder to lock the XR filter tight. THAT'S ALL. Been on OJ for 2 years now, not one damn bit of dirt has made it past the filter, and believe me we ride in some of the dustiest conditions known in North America.

Argue all you want, I don't give a sheet. My bike works. Very well, I might add.

Brewtus out.
__________________
Work hard. Play hard.
Team Dead End. The drinking team with a Trials problem.
2-Time winner of the coveted "Best Shenanigans" award at Capt. Rick's annual BBQ.

brewtus screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 07:02 PM Reason: Don't "vacation" me. Just sayin'......
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #38
UtahGuido OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
UtahGuido's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Spine 'O the Wasatch
Oddometer: 4,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
I really should not be here, but....

What "debacle"??? They work. Period. Myself and others have had them clog (in Dual-Sport bikes) to the point that the bike will no longer run in horridly dusty conditions (mine and other XR600Rs, among other makes and models), yet not one trace of dirt was found in the intake tracts afterwards. The XR100R filter literally drops right in to the TL200R airbox with the only modification being a bit of a bend to the filter holder to lock the XR filter tight. THAT'S ALL. Been on OJ for 2 years now, not one damn bit of dirt has made it past the filter, and believe me we ride in some of the dustiest conditions known in North America.

Argue all you want, I don't give a sheet. My bike works. Very well, I might add.

Brewtus out.
Hey, hey, hey....hey...hey - I meant nothing of disrespect for K&N. Poor choice of wording. I'm sorry. I too have used one on my KLR with no untoward effects. And now that the oil has dried this one flows air with just slightly more restriction than my TwinAir contraption. A fine product indeed, sturdily constructed. I'm glad I have it.

Air filters - not glamorous. They keep the dirt out of your engine but let the air in.

Hey, did I mention that I'm thinking about a riding trip down New Mexico way sometime in Fall? Ride those fabled NM rocks. Maybe we could reserve a weekend, penciled in of course.
__________________
The SOP says to skin the cat just so.
UtahGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #39
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: nm
Oddometer: 2,425
Two issues. What oil did you use on the K&N and after market jets have always had a bad rep.
PS I beat the crap out of a 4,000.00 dollar reflex with worn out Sherpa T and had fun doing it! Nothing like a two day event at 9000ft in the summer!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #40
UtahGuido OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
UtahGuido's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Spine 'O the Wasatch
Oddometer: 4,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Two issues. What oil did you use on the K&N and after market jets have always had a bad rep.
PS I beat the crap out of a 4,000.00 dollar reflex with worn out Sherpa T and had fun doing it! Nothing like a two day event at 9000ft in the summer!
I used the oil that comes in the K&N recharge kit.

There was a guy selling a 79 Sherpa T down here for the longest time. I looked at it and was tempted, but I have a thing for four stokes. But I could be tempted again.

I think it's in the steering.
__________________
The SOP says to skin the cat just so.
UtahGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:06 PM   #41
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: nm
Oddometer: 2,425
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #42
UtahGuido OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
UtahGuido's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Spine 'O the Wasatch
Oddometer: 4,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Looks like a $4000 machine, if it runs good. Last year I passed on a $4700 Scorpa 200 with an e-start. Couldn't justify the cost. My $900 (and counting) Reflex filles the bill on a budget.
__________________
The SOP says to skin the cat just so.
UtahGuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:01 AM   #43
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Oddometer: 1,673
Main problem with KN filters is that while they flow air very well, they flow dirt and debris just about as well (at least according to independent testing). Its very very easy to fit a small internal stub into the inlet hose of a TLR air-box, and fit a stub mount oiled foam type pod filter onto that. If at the same time you remove the intake silencer elements, and fit a $50 Taiwanese carb, the TLR will run a great deal better.

Large volume exhaust on the bike pictured is also a very good idea, and will mean increased torque and better top end power. Its very surprising that so few people have realised, that with a few simple modifications the TLR200 can be converted into a relatively competitive and fun to ride machine.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #44
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.
 
brewtus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Albuquerque, not New, not Mexico.......
Oddometer: 2,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahGuido View Post
Hey, hey, hey....hey...hey - I meant nothing of disrespect for K&N. Poor choice of wording. I'm sorry.
No worries. It wasn't directed at you.



Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahGuido View Post
Hey, did I mention that I'm thinking about a riding trip down New Mexico way sometime in Fall? Ride those fabled NM rocks. Maybe we could reserve a weekend, penciled in of course.
Hey, that would be cool! Let me know!
__________________
Work hard. Play hard.
Team Dead End. The drinking team with a Trials problem.
2-Time winner of the coveted "Best Shenanigans" award at Capt. Rick's annual BBQ.
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:05 AM   #45
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.
 
brewtus's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Albuquerque, not New, not Mexico.......
Oddometer: 2,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Damn. I missed the fun. Just couldn't justify 2 back-to-back Trials weekends and Miss Bitters REALLY wants an Ironman this year, so Taos won.
__________________
Work hard. Play hard.
Team Dead End. The drinking team with a Trials problem.
2-Time winner of the coveted "Best Shenanigans" award at Capt. Rick's annual BBQ.
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014