Old 08-16-2013, 04:07 AM   #76
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Oddometer: 1,087
Laugh Keep on waiting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReaper! View Post

TheReaper!
Reaper- is this what being married is like?
enough of the nagging - I've been away working with teenage delinquents teaching them camping and outdoor skills, night walks, fires etc.
IF you're lucky you'll get an update before I head back into work. in 20 minutes time.

www.tiffanystravels.co.uk
Tiffany's youtube video
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:20 AM   #77
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Cool2 Los Exonerados

Our final day of riding, we were heading back into Chile, we were on an "improved" road which had several toll booths along its length.

It's a question of trial and error when travelling in foreign countries as to whether motorbikes have to pay a toll and queue up with the other vehicles (says the woman who has also smashed through a barrier!!)
Mexico for example drives me mad as bike riders HAVE to pay the full toll that a car pays, in fact a pick-up truck with 15 people in the back pays the same as a solo motorcyclist!.

In Peru I quickly worked out that we did not have to pay, and therefore we were regarded as Los Exonerados - The Excused or Forgiven,

and so we would be expected to take the Exonerados Lane, which in the above picture means keeping in the right hand lane and going past the orange traffic cone, while other vehicles followed the car.
however the others in my group had not realised - and at several booths as I arrived, out would run one or two uniformed guys waving their arms and gesturing me to keep to the right. Obviously some of the riders were ahead of me and had taken the incorrect lane, putting the toll booth attendant in an awkward position - what on earth should they do with an Exonerated in their lane. A fee HAS to be paid for every vehicle that passes through, and the attendant has to show they have taken a payment from each one, but an Exonerado has broken the rule, there is a no fee and yet they are counted because they have travelled in the WRONG lane- who will be responsible for it?

Tiffany's youtube video

Tiffany screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 01:32 AM
Old 08-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #78
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
Reaper- is this what being married is like?
enough of the nagging - I've been away working with teenage delinquents teaching them camping and outdoor skills, night walks, fires etc.
IF you're lucky you'll get an update before I head back into work. in 20 minutes time.
till death do us part

TheReaper!
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #79
GSABest
El Adventurero

Oddometer: 320
Enjoying your ride report!! As of November 2012 in Mexico we now thankfully pay half the going rate for an auto on the quota roads!

Past Rides: 1990 VFR 750 (2007 - sold to my son), 2000 RC51 (2000 - 2003), 1990 VFR 750 (1996 - 1999), 1989 Yamaha TDR250 (1998 - 1999), 1989 NT650 Hawk GT x 2 (1998 - 1999), 1982 Honda Interstate (1982 - 1983), 1981 Honda CB900F (1981 - 1982), 1980 Honda CB900 Custom (1980 - 1981), 1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C2 Custom (1978), 1974 Kawasaki 400 Triple, 1976 Honda XL 250
GSABest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:05 AM   #80
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Cool2 How lucky am I?

Quote:
till death do us part

TheReaper!
Is that a proposal Reaper??

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 08-17-2013, 01:08 AM   #81
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Thumb Things Improve for Motorcyclists

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSABest View Post
Enjoying your ride report!! As of November 2012 in Mexico we now thankfully pay half the going rate for an auto on the quota roads!
That's great news to hear - it must have taken a lot of protest and effort to get it changed. I've crossed Mexico three times and it was always so frustrating whenever I had to go on the toll roads to even have to pay let alone pay the same as something with four wheels.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 08-17-2013, 03:59 AM   #82
TheReaper!
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Is that a proposal Reaper??
Sure we'll get a little place in the country and raise some kids , cows and chickens . How does that sound ?

Or we could just skip all that , and become motorcycle Gypsies and travel the world .

TheReaper!
TheReaper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:29 AM   #83
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Laugh Life

Quote:
Sure we'll get a little place in the country and raise some kids , cows and chickens . How does that sound ?

Or we could just skip all that , and become motorcycle Gypsies and travel the world .

TheReaper!
That's probably the closest thing I've ever had to a proposal

The place in the country I've got, but I have a chainsaw instead of chickens and cows; and as far as raising anything, I just about cope with my tomato plants...

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 08-17-2013, 05:19 AM   #84
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Thumb Farewell

Our last day of riding continued without mishap, we crossed the border together and lined up for a final picture with the bikes.

We got to the hotel, I unloaded all my stuff off the bike, I had quite a bit to carry. I looked at the distance from reception to the rooms and decided I would walk it once and only once, so, loaded down like a packhorse off I set through the hotel grounds

What felt like hours later, I was still looking for my room

Having reached the sanctuary of my room the call went out that all the bikes needed to be taken to a rendezvous with a lorry at a truck stop.
We gathered at the front entrance and checked our paperwork, whoops someone had "lost" their registration documents, it was decided that the offending document must be at the Customs office. He, who will remain nameless and I set off re-tracing our steps to the border. With me doing the translating, whilst masquerading as his wife (sometimes it makes life easier) we searched and asked at every office at the border post but all in vain.

We then had to find the others and rode off across town in search of the truckstop. We arrived to find all the bikes were loaded, and had to rush to get our bikes on, this being South America, there was no formal loading ramp, just a sandy bank which the lorry had reversed up to. Our final few minutes on the bikes involved some fun in the sand.

With the bikes on the lorry, we squeezed into taxis, heading to our hotel, and more importantly the hotel bar

Straight to the Bar, do not pass Go

The weariness was there, but celebrations over mojitos and martinis brought a smile to faces

The moon had risen, glimpsed between the canvas tarps above our heads

and we were still sharing riding stories

Until the call went out, the final bike had to be loaded onto the pick up truck, so several of us trooped outside and got to grips

Attempting to be careful after a few beers

Almost there

A cigar to finish off with and a flamethrower disguised as a Peruvian lighter to light it!

And there you have it folks, My short sojourn in South America with a great group of riders.
Early the next morning I waved them off, we were in the town of Arica, Surf Capital of Chile and I had arranged to stay on for an extra day...
unfortunately the camera with the photos from my surf escapades is in the cupboard at GlobeBusters HQ, so you'll have to take my word for it.

I hope you've enjoyed this RR, I had a lot of fun riding it. I'll finish with a picture from one of my favourite days of riding

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 08-17-2013, 05:27 AM   #85
_anatic
Plated

Oddometer: 1,138
This was great, always enjoy your reports!
Old 08-17-2013, 05:36 AM   #86
_anatic
Plated

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
That's probably the closest thing I've ever had to a proposal
Quote:

Oh, an I'll marry you based on just this picture alone. Be forewarned you're probably about to get a lot of these.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:02 AM   #87
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Awesome!

Tiffany,

Thanks for taking the time to do this RR as it's very interesting and enjoyable to read and to scan the great photos. Stay safe on your travels......

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #88
lukeman
Cool Hand

Oddometer: 453
Hey Tiff,

Nice report. Lots of great pics. I have to get up on two wheels in South America at some point. What's next for you? More tours? Solo? Themla?
Currently: 04 Tiger 955i | 85 BMW K100RT stripped
lukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:29 AM   #89
Tiffany OP
Airhead Adventuress

Talking Funny you should ask that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeman View Post
Hey Tiff,

Nice report. Lots of great pics. I have to get up on two wheels in South America at some point. What's next for you? More tours? Solo? Themla?
Hi Luke
always good to hear from you.

And yes, OF COURSE I have something else in the pipeline...
Already well on the way with planning my next trip and actually setting off next month.
The South America trip was a paid stint and not my own travels. Also due to other work commitments, I have been back for a while and it took me some time to get this blog uploaded, so I've had more than a chance to catch my breath and cast my eye over my world atlas!

Slimbo (he who once dumped a pair of tyres and a desert suit in the middle of the Sahara for me!) is doing a scoop on my next travels on his UK radio show, tomorrow evening
Thursday 7pm to 8pm UK time he is interviewing me and will be revealing live on air where I'm next headed
http://www.bikerfm.co.uk/

So, if you're curious, tune in online, and listen. You can also send in your own questions. Just keep them clean as my Mum might be listening!

Giant Loop are also involved so keep your ears open.

Tiffany's youtube video
Old 08-21-2013, 03:09 AM   #90
rockydog
just a guy

Oddometer: 810
Thanks much, Tiffany, for sharing your bop-d-bop in S. America, enjoyed tagging along with you

Rockydog woofs the Isles, British Isles
rockydog is online now   Reply With Quote