User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
JustRon OP
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 1,100
Simple (I hope) KE100 lighting problem

I bought a 31 year old KE100 earlier this year with only 800 miles on it- great condition. I was teaching my Dad how to ride yesterday, and the headlight stopped working (I noticed today that the tail light also doesn't work).
Prior to yesterday, all electrical stuff worked (not sure about the dash light- haven't checked it).
Today, when I turned the ignition on, only the Neutral light comes on. If I start the bike, the horn, brake light, and turn signals work, but the low beam, high beam and tail light don't.
I looked behind the headlight, and the wiring actually looks unmolested (thankfully). I used a meter and saw that there's no power to the headlight and also the tail light.
The fact that both of these are out at the same time makes me think it's something simple. The bulbs are fine, and so are the fuses (although I replaced them, since they looked 30 years old).
Any ideas? You guys are much smarter than me, and I'm an electrical dunce.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post
I bought a 31 year old KE100 earlier this year with only 800 miles on it- great condition. I was teaching my Dad how to ride yesterday, and the headlight stopped working (I noticed today that the tail light also doesn't work).
Prior to yesterday, all electrical stuff worked (not sure about the dash light- haven't checked it).
Today, when I turned the ignition on, only the Neutral light comes on. If I start the bike, the horn, brake light, and turn signals work, but the low beam, high beam and tail light don't.
I looked behind the headlight, and the wiring actually looks unmolested (thankfully). I used a meter and saw that there's no power to the headlight and also the tail light.
The fact that both of these are out at the same time makes me think it's something simple. The bulbs are fine, and so are the fuses (although I replaced them, since they looked 30 years old).
Any ideas? You guys are much smarter than me, and I'm an electrical dunce.
check the wiring at the voltage regulator under the seat... make sure everything is plugged in there...what year KE? i will take a pic of the appropriate wiring diagram for ya tonight if you want it...
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
JustRon OP
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
check the wiring at the voltage regulator under the seat... make sure everything is plugged in there...what year KE? i will take a pic of the appropriate wiring diagram for ya tonight if you want it...
Good call! I forgot to update this thread, but I found it last night. After tearing through tons of wiring (unnecessarily, because it was all good), I saw the problem in plain view. The fuse holder was corroded. Simple as that. So, I can rig it, if I want to ride now. However, I ordered the actual part so I can make it factory-fresh.