Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
C-Stain OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,602
2007 DL1000 - What's it worth?

I've decided to sell my 2007 DL1000.

At the start of the season, my wife was going to get her M/C Endorsement and I was going to continue to ride the DL while she rode the F800. We had grand plans to explore the countryside as a family going Moto-Camping, but alas, things change.

On April 22, 2013 I fractured my left leg on my third ride of the season. I didn't do it in a small manner either. I was LifeFlighted to the provincial trauma center where I received an IM nail repair. My wife then decided she no longer wanted to ride. I understand her reasoning - she doesn't want our son to see her in the same condition I was in should she get in an accident or even worse.

Since I own both the DL and the GS outright, I've decided to sell the DL1000 in favour of purchasing a smaller displacement dual sport along the lines of an XT250 or a KLX250. Basically a machine I can do some single track on and still get further afield should I so choose. And then if I want to go further afield, the GS is still at my disposal.

But what is an 07 DL1000 worth?

I've added the following farkles, knowing that in the grand scheme of things that farkles don't add much value on the market, only to a rider who knows their value.
1.) Givi Crash Bars
2.) SW Motech Center Stand
3.) Oxford Heated Grips
4.) EnduroGuardian Skid Plate
5.) Acerbis Multi-Concept Tour Pro Hand Guards
6.) Touratech Headlight Guard
7.) SW Motech Aux Light Bar
8.) ADV Monster LED Aux Lights
9.) Corbin Seat
10.) Pelican Case top box
11.) Luggage Racks
12.) Fuse Block with Relay
13.) DL1000 Adventure Decals
The bike currently has ~38,000 miles on it and wearing a Heidenau K60 Scout rear tire with about 5000 miles left on it and a TKC80 front with about 3000 miles left.

There is no clutch chudder.

The engine stumble at 3500 rpm has been addressed with a Yosh Box.

Bike runs Synthetic Oil, changed at regular intervals.

Orignially, I had listed it on kijiji at $4750 obo, knowing that it was a bit high, but willing to negotiate. I didn't have a single bite. I know that this is not the bike for everyone, but personally, I wouldn't hesitate to hop on and ride across the country on it tomorrow (should I be able to ride).

So, what's it worth? Where did I go wrong?

Most bikes of similar vintage are going above 6K, with less farkles, but lower mileage.

Tell me collective..what should I list it for?

C-Stain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
NONAME13
NONAME13

Oddometer: 228
DLemma

That bikes sweet I only hope mine grows up to be like that .As for the price don't know just wanted to say how awesome your rogue squadron helmet is I have the decal on my white modular helmet but that helmet you have is pretty freakin cool any how good job that's my rant.
NONAME13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
roll_it_on
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Here in California it would most likely have sold already for 4700 dollars. My son just bought an 06 with 19K miles for 4400 with no accessaries and the guy wouldn't budge on the price as he had allot of interest. He had been looking for awhile to find one under 5K.
roll_it_on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
C-Stain OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONAME13 View Post
That bikes sweet I only hope mine grows up to be like that .As for the price don't know just wanted to say how awesome your rogue squadron helmet is I have the decal on my white modular helmet but that helmet you have is pretty freakin cool any how good job that's my rant.
Thanks for the compliment!
Old 06-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
ahwarm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Coming from somebody that doesn't know much about upgrades, it is all about mileage. I've sold several dirt bikes/quads in my life and they were a lot easier to sell because there was no way of keeping track of the mileage. When people see a bike with 30,000 miles on it, they assume they were adventure riding miles. Rough roads, rocks, dirt, gravel. When I sold my KLR with over 20,000 miles on it, nobody ever commented on how clean it looked, just that it had 20,000 miles on it. I'm in the market for one but I live all the way in Southern California and that is a long way to travel for a bike.

Andy
ahwarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,747
I think you'd be better off removing all the farkles and selling it as a stock bike. Whatever the bike is worth right now, it'll be worth about the same without any farkles.

And then you can sell them separately.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #7
Matt fe2o3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_it_on View Post
Here in California it would most likely have sold already for 4700 dollars. My son just bought an 06 with 19K miles for 4400 with no accessaries and the guy wouldn't budge on the price as he had allot of interest. He had been looking for awhile to find one under 5K.
I agree. It is a nice looking bike and that does not seem to be a bad price at all.

Bikes are kinda like houses, the extras don't always mean more money however they do sell first if priced in the same range as a naked one.

Maybe try an alternate listing service.
Matt fe2o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #8
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
I think you'd be better off removing all the farkles and selling it as a stock bike. Whatever the bike is worth right now, it'll be worth about the same without any farkles.

And then you can sell them separately.

Jamie

^^ This.

If you figure you can get 50-70% of new value on accessories then you can price the bike accordingly.

Perhaps it needs more ad exposure - list it here in FM, motosoup, other online venues. I've never even heard of jilli figili or whatever it was you mentioned.

I had a '02, I think that was the first year. Sold it a couple of years later without issue as a stock bike. But it only had about 6K miles on it. Was basically a new bike. Also, detail the shit out of it, every nook and cranny - make it look like new. 303 Aerospace Protectent is amazing stuff. Will make any rubber, plastic, or vinyl part look like brand new.

When it was time for my Versys to go I took all the parts off it, sold it for BB-retail, cash on the barrel-head. The parts sold on the owners forum at 60-80% of what I paid (a lot of stuff had gone up in price) within just a couple of days. Came out way ahead of what I thought I would. Dealer didn't even want to consider it for a trade in on the Tiger XC.

38K is a bit of miles but not for the 'strom. They go 100K easy. Someone will happily take it for the right price. If you could get $500 for the parts you could sell it for $4200 and come out even. I'll bet you would come out ahead as well by seperating everything.

In my experience people buying a bike are not really interested in the aftermarket accessories. Or they're stretching their budget just to get the bike and no extra $$ for extra parts. They're just seeing the value of the stock bike. And even if they'll pay you for parts it's unusual for them to be willing to give more than 10-20% of their value. I tell shoppers the extra parts are only worth maybe 40-50% of their replacement value and only if you really want them. And that's being generous from a buyers standpoint.

Good luck and sorry to hear of your injuries.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #9
C-Stain OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
^^ This.

If you figure you can get 50-70% of new value on accessories then you can price the bike accordingly.

Perhaps it needs more ad exposure - list it here in FM, motosoup, other online venues. I've never even heard of jilli figili or whatever it was you mentioned.

I had a '02, I think that was the first year. Sold it a couple of years later without issue as a stock bike. But it only had about 6K miles on it. Was basically a new bike. Also, detail the shit out of it, every nook and cranny - make it look like new. 303 Aerospace Protectent is amazing stuff. Will make any rubber, plastic, or vinyl part look like brand new.

When it was time for my Versys to go I took all the parts off it, sold it for BB-retail, cash on the barrel-head. The parts sold on the owners forum at 60-80% of what I paid (a lot of stuff had gone up in price) within just a couple of days. Came out way ahead of what I thought I would. Dealer didn't even want to consider it for a trade in on the Tiger XC.

38K is a bit of miles but not for the 'strom. They go 100K easy. Someone will happily take it for the right price. If you could get $500 for the parts you could sell it for $4200 and come out even. I'll bet you would come out ahead as well by seperating everything.

In my experience people buying a bike are not really interested in the aftermarket accessories. Or they're stretching their budget just to get the bike and no extra $$ for extra parts. They're just seeing the value of the stock bike. And even if they'll pay you for parts it's unusual for them to be willing to give more than 10-20% of their value. I tell shoppers the extra parts are only worth maybe 40-50% of their replacement value and only if you really want them. And that's being generous from a buyers standpoint.

Good luck and sorry to hear of your injuries.
Kijiji is the Canadian version of Craigslist. There are thousands of bikes listed across the country - but in this area there are few ADV bikes for sale.

As far as taking off the farkle a - nit really practical at this point because I can't stand for long periods and the up and down of bike maintenance is a bit difficult. Having parted out a bike before - those $500 worth of parts aren't worth the frustration.

I listed it here and will use some alternate services. If anyone wants to do a Fly n Ride - lemme know.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
woolyzero
n00b

Oddometer: 7
hi c stain, i have the same bike and the same problem. mine has 51,000 miles and no interest here in moncton. i don't know if it's the economy, the mileage or the style of bike. i've priced mine just above what people are asking for really old bikes needing tlc. the dealer has had used stroms sitting for quite a while. i don't think anyone wants them. you have a sweet looking bike but i don't think dropping your price will help.
woolyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #11
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,647
Apparently the 650 version was a lot easier to sell so they disco'd the 1000 for some years? Now making them again but due for a facelift ala the wee.

I don't know why, I liked mine, but then the 650 hadn't come out yet. Not sure which I'd have chosen if both were available.

Just keep advertising it, someone will want it for touring. They are really great for 2-up

Here's mine on a trip to MotoGP Laguna Seca in Monterey CA. I'm thinking this was 2003. The Marcee vented suit seems kinda gey in this day and age.

browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #12
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Apparently the 650 version was a lot easier to sell so they disco'd the 1000 for some years? Now making them again but due for a facelift ala the wee.
My impression of the current 1000s is that they are "parts bin" bikes. No other reason to d/c them for a couple years, then resume building the exact same old style model even when the 650 had been upgraded.

To the OP, that seems a very good price.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #13
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,019
Sold my 02 with about the same mileage (with more farkles...had it about perfect when I sold it...) for only a bit less.

Seems like a pretty reasonable price to me. Like mentioned before, more exposure.

Good luck!