Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2015, 12:08 PM   #1
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Oddometer: 6,069
Conversion therapy . The Hack: Matack

So, I did it. Bought this.

Yes, it's a Conversion, and yes, it's a Hack.

No, Sam did not come with it!

Old 05-21-2015, 12:15 PM   #2
bpeckm OP
Grin!

The above pics, albeit much smaller, were attached to a CL ad as a BMW sidecar. I was intrigued.

I thought about. I thought about it some more. I slept on it. Couple of weeks went by, the ad was still up. What the hay, give him a call.... Can't hurt to just call, eh?

Nice guy, had a nice chat, he said most everybody wanted to know if it was matching numbers. 'Course not, it's a conversion. But, oh, he DID have a /2 block that came with the bike when he bought it.

NOPE, not matching numbers either.

I told him that I could be interested, but that I had an R80ST .... ...... would he be interested in a trade?

Nope, tempting to him, but still, nope. Dam.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:27 PM   #3
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Slept on it, thought about it, thought about it somemore.....

Sometimes it's just right, the way things line up in the universe! On a whim, I threw a quick ad onto the local RI CL. Got a call the next day, someone was interested, could they come by and see it, Thursday afternoon OK? Sure, come on over.

Long story short, we shook hands, he gave me cash and would be back with a trailer on the weekend!

Webb and Gretchen make a good pair!

Two weeks later, Webb (inmate here, btw!) sends me this, from Smuggler's Notch in Vermont....

Good hands, indeed! Thank you, Webb!
Old 05-21-2015, 12:31 PM   #4
bpeckm OP
Grin!

So, a quick call to the HackMan: can I send you a deposit (sight unseen ) and I can get out there in a couple of weeks... been busy, man... it's spring, and it's boat launching season, and......

Paypal sent, verbal handshake, and last Sunday, a trip to northwest CT. And when I say northwest CT, I mean we were about two miles from NewYorkState, and ten miles from southwest Massatushits!

Beautiful country, btw, too bad it was a trailer trip and not a ride-it-home!! This in some town I went through... I am decidedly a backroads traveller, especially with a borrowed (and ratty!) trailer...
Old 05-21-2015, 12:33 PM   #5
patrkbukly
52 Weeks of warm

Oddometer: 1,264
Weiners

So what happened with the weinerdog packed sidecar rig?
Old 05-21-2015, 12:43 PM   #6
nmalozzi
airheaded

Oddometer: 817
Oh man. That ticks all the boxes for me when it comes to a sidecar rig. Classic look, extra power. Who needs to stop? Love it, but I know I'm not quite right in the head. Enjoy it, and when you get the next random itch to sell quick and buy another project please let me know. I've got family in RI that I owe a visit.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:03 PM   #7
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrkbukly View Post
So what happened with the weinerdog packed sidecar rig?
I heeded all the warnings (another thread!) and threw bacon WAY over his head... not...... Just kidding.

He was a sweet little dog that just wanted to sit wherever he thought Dad would be going next. In the case of the day I picked up the rig, that would have been the seat in his pickup. You cannot BELIEVE how high that short-legged little sumgum could jump! One bounce onto the p/u floor (4wd Toyota, btw) and another up onto the seat.

Loading the rig was interesting..... did you know that those things are 60" wide, PLUS the left jug? I do now! We ended up having to lay down a couple of inches of 2x6 runners to get the left jug up and over the siderail of the trailer.

Luckily the hub of the 'car rig's wheel was above the level of that rail, so we scooched over to the right as much as possible, and got it all aboard. Did you know that it's quite easy to push a bike w/car, compared to pushing/balancing a heavy bike on two wheels? I do now!

Old 05-21-2015, 01:07 PM   #8
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Well, I went a couple of miles, worried sick about The Trailer and its Tires, so after ten miles or so of hilly, curvy, holey roads, I had to pull over and feel the tires, feel the bearing caps

...and take a picture! (new baby, and all that stuff, dontcha know....)

Old 05-21-2015, 01:11 PM   #9
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmalozzi View Post
Oh man. That ticks all the boxes for me when it comes to a sidecar rig. Classic look, extra power. Who needs to stop? Love it, but I know I'm not quite right in the head. Enjoy it, and when you get the next random itch to sell quick and buy another project please let me know. I've got family in RI that I owe a visit.
Hey, come on down, the water's fine! I have a hack now, and my son's XS650, so the wheels are available!

Photo op, same place, different side (can you tell I'm a proud Papa?....)

Old 05-21-2015, 01:19 PM   #10
WU7X
The Old Fart

Oddometer: 2,111
If this is your first hack.....

Welcome to the insane asylum! You should have a pretty good handle on whether or not you're a hack driver or not within the first couple of rides. If you are, you will never be the same; if you're not, sell it asap. I'm on my second hack already and I've only been riding motorcycles for six years, airheads for three. The most important part of sidecars is that SWMBO loves, and I mean loves being monkey. She asks me to take her out for a drive. Totally amazing! Hope you see the same results.

So have fun and keep the pictures coming.

p.s. you missed the best part of the deal when you had to give the weiner dog back. First farkle you need is the DVD "Sit, Stay, Ride". You'll see what I mean.
"
Adventure is worthwhile." ~ Aristotle
Airhead #14449
WU7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:28 PM   #11
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 8,565
Great story.

Things happened so quickly with Gretchen and Webb that I feared you had Gone Postal on us.

I'm waiting for the Rest of the Story to unfold...

--Bill
Old 05-21-2015, 01:58 PM   #12
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WU7X View Post
snip

p.s. you missed the best part of the deal when you had to give the weiner dog back. First farkle you need is the DVD "Sit, Stay, Ride". You'll see what I mean.
Oh yeah, I have looked at every DogHack thread, saved a zillion pictures, saw trailers for the movie, now I just need to see it... and teach my "dog" to enjoy the ride (I hesitate to call the Little Princess a "dog".... a Maltese Terror)

Quote:
Great story.

Things happened so quickly with Gretchen and Webb that I feared you had Gone Postal on us.

I'm waiting for the Rest of the Story to unfold...

--Bill
Speaking of Gone Postal ... I just got a package of pics TODAY that my Mom had mis-addressed to me in September 2013, and had just been returned to her...

Rest of the story will indeed unfold.... I have lotsa detail pictures, some interesting stories (thanks Renner, those shots will "show up" when I get a round tuit....

Old 05-21-2015, 02:36 PM   #13
globalt38
Swimmin W/Waterwings

Oddometer: 773
I don't know - from the looks the pup was giving I'd say he was trying to discourage the sale...

Doubt I'll ever be a "hacker" but got to tell ya - that rig just looks good!

You can have my Airhead when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!
I only subscribe to the Girl on an old motorcycle: Post your pics! thread for the comments!
globalt38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:49 PM   #14
CafeDude
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,014
Subscribed! And congrats!! I love these conversion mongrels. If you decide to make it a solo machine, consider adding a dual disk front brake. It takes the factor out of riding these beasts.

Looks like it's sporting a /2 rear drive. Some say those can't withstand the torque of engines bigger than 750cc. I don't think that it's true, but upgrading to a later /6 rear drive isn't very difficult if the need arises.
CafeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:56 PM   #15
Renner
rockin' the toaster

Oddometer: 2,333
subscribed