User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2015, 06:27 PM   #1
Mikepotter86 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
R75/5 Transmission Slipping between 3rd and 4th

My R75/5 has about 35k miles on it and over the weekend on the way to the Festival of fives, while accelerating on an uphill in 4th, the bike slipped down into 3rd - I thought it might just be a fluke, so I rode on.

On the way back it slipped from 4th to 3rd a few more times, all under heavy load, and once found a false neutral between 3rd and 4th. The bike is behaving normal in other situations, but I know somethings wrong, and I am wondering where I can start.

I'm not the most experienced airhead, but I'd like to try to sort this out on my own. Any suggestions as to where I should start?
Mikepotter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:45 PM   #2
Solo Lobo
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 9,113
So you are saying your bike changed from 4th to 3rd gear by itself? That's a new one for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
R65LazaruS
So I sold my GS and went shopping for a G/S!
Solo Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:01 PM   #3
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,355
This is a common problem with 4-Speed gearboxes. It is possible that the output shaft needs to be re-shimmed, but more likely that the engagement ring or dogs are worn. The engagement rings are NLA. You'll need to open the gearbox to see what's going on.

If you don't mind going away from original, install a good used 5-Speed.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:35 PM   #4
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 10,218
What bmwrench says. A good 5 speed is easier to find than another 4 speed. And rebuilding the 4 speed is not an inexperienced even if eager type job. Tools needed will run several hundred dollars and the first box you do may not work so well. The next three or four boxes may not work much better. Transmissions are best done by the pros.

There's plenty for you to do swapping transmissions over. There will be a few parts and the clutch should be checked for wear. And the rear main oil seal should be changed if it has never been done.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:22 AM   #5
Mikepotter86 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I reached out to a local airhead mechanic to see if he has any used gearboxes.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:49 AM   #6
Mikepotter86 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Can I swap in any pre-1980 gearbox or should I be looking for something more specific?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-24-2015, 10:26 AM   #7
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

You can use any gearbox from 1970 thru 1980. That is either 4 or 5 speed. These are the long input shaft gearboxes that mate with the heavy flywheels. In 1981 BMW goes to the clutch carrier system and the gearbox uses a short input shaft.

This in a nutshell is what you are dealing with.

Try to avoid and 5 speed from a 1974 bike but if the price is just too good and it works it may be a good deal. The problem with 1974 5 speeds is that it was the first year of the 5 speed and they have proven to be more problematic than other years. However there are many 1974 boxes on the road so, again, if the price is really low you may want to chance it.

Your best choice seems to be a 1979 or 1980 5 speed if one is available. These boxes will have the reinforced ribs to them like later boxes but they have the long input which you need.

I think the box you have is fixable but you should have it done by somebody that has done a number of 4 speeds. Not all BMW transmission mechanics do 4 speeds. The 5 speeds are really a better transmission in a lot of minds. They get more attention and there are many more mechanics that do them. But a 4 speed has a lot of differences in it and is not even much related to what is happening in the 5 speed. many riders do like the 4 speed. A lot of them think it is a heavier duty trans than the 5.

And it will be an advantage to have two transmissions.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 06-24-2015, 10:32 AM   #8
Mikepotter86 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

A lot think it is a heavier duty trans? Is this the case, or does it just feel like a heavier duty trans on account of its clunkiness? I will look for a newer pre 9/80 transmission - haven't seen one in any of my typical go-tos yet, but I figure I have time.

I like the feel of my 81 RT's transmission, and I like having 5 gears, so I will pursue that route. Any suggestions on finding tutorials on performing the swap?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-24-2015, 10:36 AM   #9
AirGsPd
Dream Rider

Oddometer: 119
Guenther Wuest

Call Guenther Wuest in Indiana! He is a great BMW wrench and I know that he has four speed gear boxes in his shop. (812) 472-three seven three nine
Old 06-24-2015, 01:07 PM   #10
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

A lot of what you "feel" when shifting is do to the clutch.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:19 PM   #11
kixtand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGsPd View Post
Call Guenther Wuest in Indiana! He is a great BMW wrench and I know that he has four speed gear boxes in his shop. (812) 472-three seven three nine
This^^

In the end it might cost you a bit more than a used tranny, but you can also know it will be right...

it makes everything better.
kixtand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 02:33 PM   #12
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,355
If you get a 5-Speed, you'll need a clutch pushrod and release mechanism; thrust bearing, piston, and lever.

Chris Hodgson, Mr San Jose BMW, ran 4-Speeds in his race bikes for years. He felt that the 5-Speed was relatively fragile.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:15 AM   #13
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,631
If you want to diagnose this yourself the gearset will need to be removed - you will need a special tool to take off the rear flange without damaging the gearbox case. This is one version of the tool as sold by cycleworks (http://www.cycleworks.net/index.php?...ducts_id=321):

I use an impact wrench and 15/16" socket for the 24mm nut on the flange, then an impact wrench on the puller bolt - but that is personal preference (I find it easier). The rear cover will need to be heated to ~210 degF with a heat gun or propane torch. The propane torch is faster but must be used with care or seals may melt and require replacement.

Once the rear cover is carefully removed (wear gloves) the gears can be viewed. However, it requires removing the gearset and shifter before examining the dogs, shift forks, gears, etc. I highly recommend taking plenty of photographs during this activity to aid in correct reassembly. Heating the opposite side of the gearbox case to 210 degF is required to release the layshaft and output shaft bearings - it helps to have the shifter assembly bolts removed before removing the gearset. A new rear cover gasket will be required.

Basically, you will go through the majority of the steps to install new bearings in the gearbox for inspection. That's how these gearboxes were built. There are sources of information on the internet including IBMWR (http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/airheads/trans.shtml) and youtube videos. Cycleworks also sells a DVD on rebuilding transmissions which cover 1955-1995 years (http://www.cycleworks.net/index.php?...roducts_id=243)
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:32 PM   #14
Mikepotter86 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I drained the transmission today and there was very little fuzz, and no slivers of metal to be found, that was kind of a relief.

I'll let you guys know.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:11 AM   #15
Dark Helmet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Don't forget to check with Beater on the airhead forum. He came into a bunch of used Airhead parts. I know he had a bunch of engine blocks but not as sure about tranny's.
Suzuki DRZ 400S
Dark Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote