Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #31
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,661
It's easy to reference a post in the other thread. Just click the post number in the upper right of the post, which opens it in a new window. Copy the URL out of your address bar and drop it into the post in this thread.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #32
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa View Post
It's easy to reference a post in the other thread. Just click the post number in the upper right of the post, which opens it in a new window. Copy the URL out of your address bar and drop it into the post in this thread.

I tried that. I got a URL but I would like the post I am referencing to be quoted. I have done this by typing in the [Quote] stuff manually but maybe there's an easier way.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #33
brocktoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by red tag View Post
With the bags:
Like this, disston? If so, just go to the original thread, click "quote" underneath the post, and copy everything in the text box. Then come back here and paste it into a new reply.

P.S. If the price on this drops a few $k I will be very, very tempted. Not that it isn't fairly priced, just out of my price range.

brocktoon screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 06:18 PM
brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #34
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,573
Quote:

How do you direct all interested parties to your new post in the discussion thread? Easy enough to PM the person you are replying to and give a url to the new discussion post, but what about interested lurkers?

Methinks you need to do at least one very concise post in the FM thread referencing the post in the Discussion thread. Then the discussion can go from there and anyone interested can join in.

So you might reply to a FM post with: "I've opened a discussion on this here___________" or perhaps: "I've made some comments on this here ______________".

Nice and short to minimize the clutter factor and sufficient to create a fork in the thread with the comments and discussion taking the 'Dicussion' road.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #35
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocktoon View Post
Like this, disston? If so, just go to the original thread, click "quote" underneath the post, and copy everything in the text box. Then come back here and paste it into a new reply.

P.S. If the price on this drops a few $k I will be very, very tempted. Not that it isn't fairly priced, just out of my price range.
OK, that'll work. Thanks Brocktoon.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 06-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #36
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
How do you direct all interested parties to your new post in the discussion thread? Easy enough to PM the person you are replying to and give a url to the new discussion post, but what about interested lurkers?

Methinks you need to do at least one very concise post in the FM thread referencing the post in the Discussion thread. Then the discussion can go from there and anyone interested can join in.

So you might reply to a FM post with: "I've opened a discussion on this here___________" or perhaps: "I've made some comments on this here ______________".

Nice and short to minimize the clutter factor and sufficient to create a fork in the thread with the comments and discussion taking the 'Dicussion' road.
No.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #37
kbasa
Colnago!

Quote:

you can link them with the quote function described right above your post. When you click the arrow next to the quote, you jump right over to the other thread.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:14 PM   #38
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,573
Quote:
you can link them with the quote function described right above your post. When you click the arrow next to the quote, you jump right over to the other thread.

mm..I don't get it.

Joe posts a helmet for sale in flea market.

Kyle wants to comment that he really likes that particular model and the price is outstanding. So kyle post up in the Discussion thread.

How does anybody watching the flea market thread know about Kyles post in Discussion?

Seems kinda like these "lookee the craigslist fool" threads. The posters on craigslist has no idea these conversations are going on behind their backs (for better or worse)
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #39
kbasa
Colnago!

Quote:
mm..I don't get it.

Kyle wants to comment that he really likes that particular model and the price is outstanding. So kyle post up in the Discussion thread.

How does anybody watching the flea market thread know about Kyles post in Discussion?

Seems kinda like these "lookee the craigslist fool" threads. The posters on craigslist has no idea these conversations are going on behind their backs (for better or worse)
Put a link to the discussion post in the ad. Not hard. If I was selling something, I'd link it from both ends. If someone's reading the FM, they'll see the link to the discussion and if there's a link to the discussion in the ad, folks can jump over and talk about it.

The problem is that folks were basically using the FM as a place to talk about parts and other random crap that made it hard to actually read the ads. In some places, there are ads that are buried in a long stream of discussion or there are pages of discussion with no ads.

If I get a chance this weekend, I'll post up a how to do it thread so everyone knows how to link the two together.

Yeah, it's going to be a couple extra steps, but man, oh man, as it was the FM was a total off topic mess.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #40
guitstik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
I belong to Rangefinderforum.com and they have what I think is the best classifieds section I have seen on any forum. http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...ndex.php?cat=1

I don't know if we could do something like that here but it cuts down on the idle chit chat and makes it easier for interested parties to see and find items of interest.

just my $0.02

Harley Davidson: The cure for the common man.
71 R75, 73 R75, 81 R65, 97 R1100GS
guitstik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #41
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,416
Quote:
mm..I don't get it.

Here's an option:

Use the Flea Mkt as...a Flea Mkt,i.e; for sale, want to trade, wanted to buy.

No thoughts,feelings or opinions necessary all the time, constantly. Yeah, this requires an inner filter.

For more info see also the General Flea Mkt where the aforementioned crap gets kicked to head explody,pronto.

Believe me, "Joe" will be on board.

As will Baldy:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578108

ozmoses screwed with this post 06-29-2013 at 06:42 AM
ozmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #42
kbasa
Colnago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoses View Post
Here's an option:

Use the Flea Mkt as...a Flea Mkt,i.e; for sale, want to trade, wanted to buy.

No thoughts,feelings or opinions necessary all the time, constantly. Yeah, this requires an inner filter.

For more info see also the General Flea Mkt where the aforementioned crap gets kicked to head explody,pronto.

Believe me, "Joe" will be on board.
Exactly the objective.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #43
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,498
Quote:
If I get a chance this weekend, I'll post up a how to do it thread so everyone knows how to link the two together.

Yeah, it's going to be a couple extra steps, but man, oh man, as it was the FM was a total off topic mess.
I couldn't be a moderator.

Thanks for your effort.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #44
BeardThrone
...in bat country.

Oddometer: 120
Is there any way change the Flea Market to automatically delete posts, after say, a week? That would keep the thread fairly free of clutter from WTB posts and old posts that have since sold.

Just a thought.

BT
BeardThrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #45
kbasa
Colnago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardThrone View Post
Is there any way change the Flea Market to automatically delete posts, after say, a week? That would keep the thread fairly free of clutter from WTB posts and old posts that have since sold.

Just a thought.

BT
A good thought, but not that I'm aware of.

Since this runs on MySQL, this may bear some investigation.

Thanks, BT.

And hey! The Flea Market thread is actually useful again!

Thanks for helping, everyone.