Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2014, 03:30 PM   #91
Skyshadow
Banned

Oddometer: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad M View Post
I spent a year waiting for the right PD tank to show and it never did. My problem was the tanks that were offered (2), were already in new paint (one correct Alpine white, the other was black). Normally that wouldn't be a problem, but the price was so dear that without seeing photos of the tank without paint, i.e.: what's hiding under the paint, I just couldn't pay the asking price. In the end, I just spent the money on a new one. They come only in primer now, but for me that was peace of mind. It's easy to spend $2k by the time that tank is sitting on your bike the way you want.

C.
You are lucky, I have only seen two...that guy in CA got one and the other disappeared after the guy in VT died.
Skyshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #92
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,973
PM's and other problems with the Flea Market

There is a purpose to posting in the Flea Market that you have sent a PM. 1...Later searchers can see the item is most likely sold. 2...Being first is not a childish idea. Calling "Dibs" on the item eliminates favoritism.

Moving the discussion to a separate thread is the disservice. Suppose a seller offers a /5 tank and says it fit's up to 1981? This happens ALL the time on Ebay. The mater can be corrected quickly by pointing out the error and the correct info is then not two doors down the hall. The problem happens when the discussion turns into three pages of what tanks fit every bike ever made.

There is a place where they have nice neat ads and no discussion. It is on the IBMWR Flea Market pages and it is very popular.

We are a forum and I think the discussions and other items pertaining to Flea markets sales should be allowed. Otherwise if it is still a time to neaten this place up and you must forbid any discussion then please program it out. The past month or more of the new policy has been totally unfulfilling. Every page is full of discussion. Only allow the seller to post. I think soft ware can do this?

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:13 PM   #93
Oz Nutter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post
There is a purpose to posting in the Flea Market that you have sent a PM. 1...Later searchers can see the item is most likely sold. 2...Being first is not a childish idea. Calling "Dibs" on the item eliminates favoritism.

Moving the discussion to a separate thread is the disservice. Suppose a seller offers a /5 tank and says it fit's up to 1981? This happens ALL the time on Ebay. The mater can be corrected quickly by pointing out the error and the correct info is then not two doors down the hall. The problem happens when the discussion turns into three pages of what tanks fit every bike ever made.

There is a place where they have nice neat ads and no discussion. It is on the IBMWR Flea Market pages and it is very popular.

We are a forum and I think the discussions and other items pertaining to Flea markets sales should be allowed. Otherwise if it is still a time to neaten this place up and you must forbid any discussion then please program it out. The past month or more of the new policy has been totally unfulfilling. Every page is full of discussion. Only allow the seller to post. I think soft ware can do this?
One thread is the flea Market : for ADS

Another thread is the discussion thread : for discussion, the discussion ain't necessarily about the ADS...

You PM the seller to discuss your transaction..we don't need to hear about it... KISS
Oz Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:50 PM   #94
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

But it's not working.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Old 03-01-2014, 09:24 PM   #95
Chad M
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 768
Unfortunately, and maybe its been discussed already, we really need to have our flea market set up just like the general flea market found elsewhere on the site. Practically speaking, it is the only way to keep some semblance of order and include valuable discussion. The way it's set up now is totally disjointed and Disston is right... it doesn't work.
Chad M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:37 AM   #96
Oz Nutter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad M View Post
Unfortunately, and maybe its been discussed already, we really need to have our flea market set up just like the general flea market found elsewhere on the site. Practically speaking, it is the only way to keep some semblance of order and include valuable discussion. The way it's set up now is totally disjointed and Disston is right... it doesn't work.
cheers, you are right, it needs to be set up like other Flea Market
Oz Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:32 AM   #97
Big B
Luft Kopf

Oddometer: 242
Eh?

The flea market needs to be adds only no discussion!
Discussion can be had between seller and buyer via pm.
If you think the listing is incorrect pm the guy and let him know!
Wether the item is as described is to be discussed between buyer and seller!
It is extremely hard looking through the "flea market" to find out what is for sale through pages of debate!

Said this before but...
Check out how the Aussie Flea market is run.
Advertsements only, no comments, purged every 2 months!
works well!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212063[/QUOTE]

Ride Reports
The Road to Nowhere
The Plan is there is NO PLAN! A Vietnamese Odyssey

"Semper in stercore versor, solum altitudo mutat"
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:32 AM   #98
nmalozzi
airheaded

Oddometer: 611
This thread needs to be killed...

If you can't wade/read through a few pages of discussion to find what's for sale then you're just lazy, sorry.

I agree that it can get a bit long winded, in that case inmates should just speak up and tell them to take it to a new thread, or mods should force it into a new thread by moving posts.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:49 AM   #99
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

The change suggested by Chad and others is attractive. It is proposed to make the Airheads Flea Market like the larger Flea Market found elsewhere. So I had to go find the "Other" Flea Market to see just what is this difference.

In Airheads each ad is a response to the last ad or comment. There is only one thread. Sellers may provide a little separation by inserting a Title but they do not have to submit a title to post.

In the "Other" Flea Market each ad is a separate thread. You can see how many response the thread has. This issue of comments or PMs is not pressing. Some ads would attract more attention or more response. Questions asked by one party would be appreciated by others so not everybody has to keep asking the same questions. And the questions about some seat for sale won't mix in with the questions about somebody else's gas tank.

I'm no computer expert and don't see it being more work to copy the "Other" set up in the Airheads Flea Market. I think we could have a Win Win situation. Maybe it's a matter of not enough fields or divisions or sub sets that computer guys know about but can't this be done? Or is it more complicated than I think?

Old 03-02-2014, 08:25 AM   #100
Chad M
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 768
I'm sure it would be a little more work for the webmaster, but I can see all of the regional type forums benefiting from this upgrade.

For the guy who says we should just do all of the chatter in PM's... well, that's not the point of a community like this. There is much to be learned from other members here and if all the pertinent discussion ends up behind closed doors, then who would ever know that the latest do-dad doesn't fit and isn't worth the pixels it's written on?

YMMV
Chad M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #101
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl's bmw View Post
Looking for a used R100GS PD 91-95 Seat Grab Rail
Part # 46 51 1 457 491 HANDLE - BLACK
Used with the full touring seat, also holds the lock mechanism.
A new one in chrome is $50, a reasonable price on a used on would be appreciated!
Anybody...Anybody
You're complaining about a $50 chrome part on a seat? The grab rail for my R90/6 is $210.65 new. I'd be lucky to get it for $50 used. I don't need one though. Good luck

Old 03-03-2014, 04:05 PM   #102
Big B
Luft Kopf

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmalozzi View Post
If you can't wade/read through a few pages of discussion to find what's for sale then you're just lazy,.
Lazy?
Try the Aussie flea market and get back to me!

Ride Reports
The Road to Nowhere

Old 03-03-2014, 04:26 PM   #103
nmalozzi
airheaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
Lazy?
Try the Aussie flea market and get back to me!
Yea, except for the fact that this isn't the Aussie Flea market.

The rate of posts in the Airhead Flea Market AND the Discussion thread is super low. Sure there are occasional flurries of activity, but it's hardly enough to be concerned about. So yea... lazy.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:13 AM   #104
Big B
Luft Kopf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmalozzi View Post
Yea, except for the fact that this isn't the Aussie Flea market.

The rate of posts in the Airhead Flea Market AND the Discussion thread is super low. Sure there are occasional flurries of activity, but it's hardly enough to be concerned about. So yea... lazy.
To want something to work smoothly and efficiently is not Lazy .....just Smart

Ride Reports
The Road to Nowhere

Old 03-04-2014, 06:37 AM   #105
nmalozzi
airheaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
To want something to work smoothly and efficiently is not Lazy .....just Smart
I'm having a hard time understanding how reading two separate threads is smooth and efficient.

If you want smooth and efficient ads than post and shop somewhere that has an actual marketplace. This is a message board, and will never be smooth and efficient for buying selling.

Stop expecting it to be something it can't be.