ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #1
DutchTerror OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Grand Canyon South Rim Suggestions

I'm taking a trip out West next month, and happen to have an extra day near the South Rim of the GC. Can anyone give me some suggestions for rides off the beaten path? I've been to the Southern Rim and done the visitor's center thing several years ago. That was enough. I'll be alone on this ride, so nothing too technical. Also, I'll be on the big bike (Super Tenere) so keep that in mind as well.

Anyone done a ride out to Havasupai Point? About the only thing I could find that look doable from my searches.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=36.18...num=1&t=h&z=17

Thanks for any suggestions!

2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré
2008 Yamaha WR250R
DutchTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvanderploeg View Post
I'm taking a trip out West next month, and happen to have an extra day near the South Rim of the GC. Can anyone give me some suggestions for rides off the beaten path? I've been to the Southern Rim and done the visitor's center thing several years ago. That was enough. I'll be alone on this ride, so nothing too technical. Also, I'll be on the big bike (Super Tenere) so keep that in mind as well.

Anyone done a ride out to Havasupai Point? About the only thing I could find that look doable from my searches.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=36.18...num=1&t=h&z=17

Thanks for any suggestions!
You could try the Great Western Trail. It goes from Williams up to south rim at Grand View past fire tower which is interesting then over to Camron.

You can gete GPS tracks on GPSXchange.com
Old 06-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
DutchTerror OP
Gnarly Adventurer

That sounds like a good suggestion, but I haven't uploaded any files to GPXChange, so I guess I can't download any.

2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré
2008 Yamaha WR250R
Old 06-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 1,023
My suggestion: Keep on going, the good stuff is on the North Rim. Grab a map at the Jacob Lake store (and some of their delicious chow). Most of the North Rim roads are in great shape. From Jacob Lake head south, stunning alpine forest, 8000 ft. + elevations. Stop short of the Park entrance and head west on any of the awesome logging roads ( areas around Del Norte, Paraswampits Point wont disappoint !). To the east, the CataCombs. Numerous points with killer views, NO traffic or crowds. Easy navigating.

Don't tell anyone though!
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdskipper View Post
My suggestion: Keep on going, the good stuff is on the North Rim. Grab a map at the Jacob Lake store (and some of their delicious chow). Most of the North Rim roads are in great shape. From Jacob Lake head south, stunning alpine forest, 8000 ft. + elevations. Stop short of the Park entrance and head west on any of the awesome logging roads ( areas around Del Norte, Paraswampits Point wont disappoint !). To the east, the CataCombs. Numerous points with killer views, NO traffic or crowds. Easy navigating.

Don't tell anyone though!

What he said.

And you get to ride past the Vermillion Cliffs on the way.

-dod
Old 06-28-2013, 10:50 PM   #6
agavelvr
Banned

Oddometer: 149
I rode out to Havasupai Point and camped right on the rim of the GC a while back. It was a small part of a big trip that you can read about here:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/70118
It's a great trip for the remote nature of the location and changes in vegetation. It is one of the best viewpoints at GC in my opinion, as you are surrounded by canyon and have one of the widest viewsheds. Waking up there to enjoy the changes in lighting is pretty sweet. For the record, I'm not the most skilled rider...that trip linked was my first ever camp off the bike trip.

I have also traveled by 4x4 from Williams to Desert View Point, camping at Moqui Station along the way.
http://www.arizfoto.com/moqui.html
The first 3/4 of the trip is unremarkable, but the last part along the Coconino Rim Road is very nice because you are looking down at the canyon from a distance and at an elevation. Nice views for sure. Road is a little rough in places on that last section, but manageable.

Hope it helps,
Jeff
agavelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:33 AM   #7
DutchTerror OP
Gnarly Adventurer

That's exactly what I needed, Jeff! Thanks for the link to the RR. In one of the posts you mention that it may be possible to go around the reservation. Did you ever find that route around? You also mentioned a back country permit being necessary. Is required for a day trip in and out, or only for camping? Thanks for the help!

2012 Yamaha Super Ténéré
2008 Yamaha WR250R
Old 06-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
agavelvr
Banned

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvanderploeg View Post
That's exactly what I needed, Jeff! Thanks for the link to the RR. In one of the posts you mention that it may be possible to go around the reservation. Did you ever find that route around? You also mentioned a back country permit being necessary. Is required for a day trip in and out, or only for camping? Thanks for the help!
No problem. Skipping the road thru the rez does not seem possible. When I called NPS to inquire about the old road along the boundary between GC NP and the National Forest to the south, I have received mixed intel. One person I talked to said you can ride the boundary road, but it is not maintained...another told me it was closed. I hope to find out for sure this October when I go back.

If you cross the Rez, you have to get a permit from the tribe at the ranger station on the road. The odds of someone being there is probably slim. Backcountry access to GC NP does not require a permit for day use, only if you camp...
http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisi...try-permit.htm

Personally, I recommend camping, it's a great place to wake up and start your day!
agavelvr is offline   Reply With Quote