Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
DirtClaudeKilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
California Loop 2013 (now with added dirt)

This California loop is approximately 2400 miles, starting in the central coast region of California and heading east through Cuyama Valley and the Carrizo Plains, east across the Central Valley, up Rancheria Road to the Sierra’s, North generally following the Pacific Quest Crest (PCQ) tracks, around Mount Shasta, though the Trinity Alps, down the Lost Coast including Usal Road and then down the coast home.

I rode 80% of this ride last year, however the 20% I didn’t ride is what made me want to ride it again. It felt like unfinished business. Here is last years ride report . Last year I rode a KTM 990 Adventure, the size and weight of the bike along with some electrical gremlins caused me to regrettably bypass some of the more remote and rugged areas. I sold the KTM and bought a used Yamaha WR250R for this trip. I am doing the ride solo again.
Here are the tracks

California Loop 2013

Note - I had accidentally linked to last years tracks, now fixed.

DirtClaudeKilly screwed with this post 06-29-2013 at 11:27 AM
DirtClaudeKilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
DirtClaudeKilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 1

DAY 1 272 miles Central Coast to Holey Meadows Camp

Today is about getting to the Sierra’s, I follow the back roads to Tepusquet Rd and Hwy 166, through the Cuyama valley and the desolate Carrizo Plains. From there it is down Hwy 58, across the hot and dusty central valley to Rancheria road. Rancheria Road starts at about 600’ elevation just east of Bakersfield, initially it is paved but soon turns into gravel and dirt as it climbs almost 7000’ in elevation over the next 45 miles. The coolness of the mountains is a welcome relief after the heat of the valley. I camp at Holey Meadows campground in Sequoia National Forest.

DirtClaudeKilly screwed with this post 06-29-2013 at 11:28 AM
Old 06-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
DirtClaudeKilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The motorcycle.

I found a nice lightly used 2011 Yamaha WR250R, when I bought it had been modified with
- Corbin Seat
- Skid Plate
- IMS 3.1 gallon tank
- Acerbis hand guards
- Promoto billet rear rack

To make the bike more suitable for adventure riding I also added
- IMS 4.7 gallon tank
- Highway dirt bikes top handle bar mount
- Eastern Beaver 3 circuit solution
- 2 powerlet adapters
- Rugged mount for Montana GPS
- GRP steering damper
- Cee Bailey Windscreen
- Wolfman saddle bag racks
- Acerbis plastic skid plate
- Alaska butt pad, plus .5 of foam

I used Wolfman luggage both expedition saddle bags and medium sized duffle and a tankbag.

The suspension, gearing, exhaust and tires are all stock.

I was very pleased how this motorcycle performed, it will cruise comfortably at 70 miles, and handle most dirt situations while carrying a good sized load. I became very confident riding some pretty challenging terrain on this bike. I am going to keep this one for a while.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
Dubl-A
MADE IN BURQUE

Oddometer: 1,308
Sweet Bike! I had a KLX250S that I still regret selling :(

Be safe and post plenty pics
Old 06-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
DirtClaudeKilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 2

Day 2 187 miles Holey Meadows to Dinky Creek

Holey Meadows is a small quiet campgrounds located next to a nice meadow. I get up early make a quick cup of coffee and hit the road. I am following the PCQ tracks starting off on the Western Divide highway but soon taking a left on a Forest Service road and riding about a 20 mile dirt trek through the Giant Sequoias. The road intersects with Highway 190 and I stop for breakfast at the Pierpoint Resort. The food is decent and there is free Wifi so it is a good place to stop. After eating I take a detour from last years ride and the PCQ and head East on 190 then left on Redwood drive, there is some windy roads and a 5 mile dirt rollercoaster ride down in elevation before eventually hooking back up with Highway 190. Next stop is in Lemon Cove for gas then back up into the Sequoias on Dry Creek road to Hwy 245, then Hwy 180 and then down a dirt road to the kern river. From there it is a nice mixed dirt and paved climb up Black Rock road to Dinky Creek campground were spend the night

Old 06-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
DirtClaudeKilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_THRU_U View Post
There is a far better route you could take from Mt Shasta towards the coast. No need to superslab it from Mt Shasta down to Redding and west. There are some great twisties from MT Shasta to Weavervile- HWY 3 if you wanted to stay on pavement or gravel from Shasta through the Eddies to Hwy 3. I just think you would be missing out on a great opp. if you go down to Redding. Let me know when you come up this way and maybe I can provide a couch for yea.
Thanks and you are right, I had accidentally linked to last years tracks when some problems caused me to take that route - these are the correct tracks. A much better ride.

California Loop 2013

Thanks for the heads up and the offer, but I got home about a 2 weeks ago.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #7
C_THRU_U
n00b

Oddometer: 8
What did you think?

What did you think of Salmon River road into hoopa?
C_THRU_U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #8
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,450
Looks like a fun ride keep it up
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 562
On my to do list

Nice! Thanks for posting tracks. Did you hit any gnarly technical sections?

Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #10
DirtClaudeKilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 3

Day 3 214 miles, Dinkey Creek to Cherry Lake

I have planned this trip so as to ride a moderate amount each day, my target is around 200 miles and 10 hours from kickstand up to kickstand down. I want to enjoy a little time in the evenings to relax - this is vacation after all.

First stop is in the town of Shaver Lake where I get gas, food and water. I am finding that the 4.7 gallon IMS tank provides ample range. I have been getting a minimum of 60 mpg which translates to 282 mile range, I try to fill up after hitting 200 miles to account for any reroutes that may occur

I head North from Shaver Lake and catch a dirt forest service road down toward Redinger lake. This is a deviation from the PQC but it looked like an interesting route. I meet back up with the PCQ somewhere before I cross this nice little bridge over Redinger lake.

From there is it up to Mammoth Pool road, to Soda Springs road, great vistas and perfect paved twisties. Soda Springs road is a little tighter mostly single lane road and is great fun.

From here there are a variety of dirt road that eventually connect to Hwy 41 at Fish Camp.

From Fish camp it is back onto dirt forest roads. Last year when I came through here I detoured south on Hwy 41 in search of gas and missed this section. It is a 20+ mile section that winds though some recent burn areas, it is rough enough to make it interesting

Eventually it connects to Hwy 140 and a short ride to Briceberg road. Briceberg steeply climbs up above the canyon above the Merced river. It is hot at the lower elevations so climbing into the cooler air is nice. At the top of the climb the road becomes more of Jeep trail with some steep climbs and descents that are rutted. I am glad to be on the little Yamaha as it handles everything without complaint.

I take a more Westerly route that the PCQ to the Hwy 120, the PCQ route is more interesting and challenging. From Hwy 120 there is a nice creek crossing and a short fun dirt section on the way to Cherry Reservoir.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #11
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 631
Sweet bike!

I love the whole idea of the 250! I've just now started getting the "bug" for a dirt bike and have been wondering what to look for? Anywhere from a 250 to a 400 would be my first choices I think? I want to be able to hit the highway at times and 70 mph sounds good to me. Thanks for doing this RR as it's giving me more crazy ideas at 70 yrs. old. Never have had a dirt bike before!

Gary

Oldone screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 04:30 PM
Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #12
DirtClaudeKilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 4

Day 4 195 miles, Cherry Reservoir to Silver Creek

The first part of the days ride is to head North following the PCQ on Forest Service roads from Cherry Reservoir to Hwy 108 and the Pinecrest Lake. Last year I took a more conservative route to the West. Within a few mile the roads turn to gravel, then dirt. There are some nice forested sections and a good camping area next to a river. I have a hard time following the tracks and end up on a dead end over grown road. Eventually I find the right route, the road gets rougher and turns into somewhat of an ATV track before connecting with Hwy 108 at Pinecrest Lake. I have a late breakfast at the snack shack near the lake.

The next step is to take the forest roads from Hwy 108 to Hwy 4. I am following the PQC tracks north of Beardsly lake. After about 45 miles of mostly fast dirt roads, it connects to highway 4. I do make a stop at Sourgrass Campground and dunk my head in the North Fork of the Stanislaus river.

Last year I found that just north of Hwy 4, the PCQ route was not passible due a washout at a river crossing. I was unable to find a work around and ending up taking a much more southerly route to Hwy 88. Proir to this trip, I spent some time looking at the maps and charted a route around the washout that got me back in the PCQ route - for a while... The riding was good with some rough sections and a creek crossing with a real steep entrance. After a while I ended up in an active logging site. I was unable to follow the PCQ tracks, there was just no road there and I could not find a way around. I ran across an old logger guy and a lot of machinery. The logger was actually very friendly and asked me where I was trying to get to. He told me the only way to get to Hwy 88 was to head south to Winton road and follow it to 88. I followed his advice but I ended up back on paved roads and well South of where I wanted to be but I kept going until I connected with Hwy 88. In retrospect I should not have followed his advice because it took me off away from the PCQ tracks. A little exploring would have connected me back with the PCQ tracks. I think I was intimidated by all of the logging activity.

After I brisk ride to, then up Hwy 88 I reconnected with the PCQ and rode to Silver Fork campground for the evening

DirtClaudeKilly screwed with this post 06-29-2013 at 09:25 AM
Old 06-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #13
COboy
b00b

Oddometer: 51
Wow... I love your bike. I am thinking of a very similar setup but on a WR450. Any thoughts?
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=902450
COboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:30 AM   #14
DirtClaudeKilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_THRU_U View Post
What did you think of Salmon River road into hoopa?
That was a fun section - I recall a rock wall on one side and drop off of the other.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooby View Post
Nice! Thanks for posting tracks. Did you hit any gnarly technical sections?

There were few technical sections, the road at the top of the Briceberg climb out was fun, Gold Lake OHV route definitely was challenging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
I love the whole idea of the 250! I've just now started getting the "bug" for a dirt bike and have been wondering what to look for? Anywhere from a 250 to a 400 would be my first choices I think? I want to be able to hit the highway at times and 70 mph sounds good to me. Thanks for doing this RR as it's giving me more crazy ideas at 70 yrs. old. Never have had a dirt bike before!

Gary
Do it... You don't need 1200 cc's to have an adventure. You must be willing to rev the heck out of it though.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by COboy View Post
Wow... I love your bike. I am thinking of a very similar setup but on a WR450. Any thoughts?
I am not very familiar with the WR450 but my impression are that it is a superior off road bike but I think the 250r will make a better adventure bike. The 250 probably easier to ride all day and the maintenance and reliability should be superior and I has a strong rear subframe for carrying a load.

Thanks for reading the report, I need get writing.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #15
DirtClaudeKilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 5

Day 5 187 miles, Silver Fork campground to Packsaddle campground

I am getting into a groove of riding everyday. No significant physical problems and the bike is running like a top. I wish I had brought a little less stuff but hopefully next time I can travel a little lighter. The motorcycle handles the weight just fine however it just looks like too much stuff to me.

From Silver Fork campground I follow the road down the river to Hwy 50, after a short ride on the Hwy the PCQ cuts off on a well hidden forest service road. There is a sign that states the road in closed ahead but I press ahead and find the gate open. This dirt road connects to Ice House road, the area is scenic and for a while, the road is paved and fast. I am very pleased at how well the little Yamaha performs on these roads. As long as the revs are kept up and downshift are made early it flies on these roads. Plus it is so smooth and comfortable. Soon the roads turn back to dirt and wind through the forest on the way to Hwy 80 and the Truckee area. I did see a good sized bear, luckily it took off running. Also for the first time on the dirt sections of this trip I passed another motorcyclist, it was a big BMW adventure.

I made it back to civilization and spent some time sitting by Donner lake enjoying the view and catching up in my social obligations. I reprovisioned in Truckee, gas, food and I was also running dangerously low on Alcohol. I followed Hwy 89 north for a while then turned east on Jackson Meadow road. This ran through a valley with beautiful meadows and mountain backdrops. From here it was back to forest roads heading toward Hwy 49 and Packsaddle campground where I spend the night.