Time for a ride...

Oddometer: 187
Old 06-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #17
DirtClaudeKilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Day 6

Day 6 149 miles, Packsaddle campground to Chester

I have been using an inexpensive pocket camera, it fits in an external pocket of the tankbag and I can pull it out and take pictures easily with my gloves on. Unfortunately I dropped it one too many times and lens would no longer open, so from now all I have is my phone to take pictures. Please bear with the picture quality.

During the planning of this trip, the section leading to Gold Lake stood out the most challenging and technical. The timing worked out that I could tackle this first thing in the morning. From Packsaddle camp it was only a couple of miles before the fun begins. It starts with a windy OHV track that has some interesting creek crossings and good section of baby heads. Once that is completed, there is a challenging downhill rocky section to Gold Lake. It is rough but the little Yamaha handles it comfortably and I make it down to Gold Lake no worse for the wear. I stop and rest at Gold Lake thinking that the rough sections are over. It turns out that there is still over a mile of technical rock crawling before it is over.

From here it is down into Graeagle, then back onto some forest roads, then into Quincy for a late breakfast. I eat at the Morning Thunder Café, the food is good but a little expensive. The ladies working there are pleasant sight, I linger for a little while.....

My destination for the day is the town of Chester. After 5 night camping out I need a motel, a shower and way to wash some clothes. A couple of more forest section to go. The first one is from Bucks lake road over to Hwy 70. This section has some nice views. There is also a short OHV downhill section that is steep, loose and challenging. I am glad I am not on a big bike.

There is a heat wave and when I get to Hwy 70 it feels like it is around 100 degrees. From Hwy 70 there is a climb out on a forest road that traverses through a recent burn area. It is a surreal experience. After a while I make my way through the burn area and rest by a nice mountain stream. The last 6 days of riding have taken a toll on me and I am ready for the comforts of a Motel. I end up a the Antlers Motel in Chester, a nice clean motel. I ask the guy (who turns out to be the owner) at the front desk if they have a laundry mat onsite, they don't but he offers to wash them for me in their machine - no charge. I take him up on the offer, I am surprised by the level of service!!

Old 06-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #18
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,777
Just wondering, but based on the photos, it looks like Rancheria Rd. outside of Bakersfield. It's been a number of years (probably close to a dozen since I've been there), so maybe I'm wrong, but a couple of those pics look just like Rancheria Rd., just after Rio Bravo and just before the canyon.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #19
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,997
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #20
visualizerent
Raconteur

Oddometer: 244
subscribed

Good job getting thru the rocks in the Basin Lakes area along the PCT near the Sierra Buttes. (My back yard)

Good choice of smaller bike for the adventure.

i was just up there Sunday on the 350 exc f

looking forward to the rest of your route-especially Trinity Alps area.

Juan
Nevada City, Ca.
KTM 350 EXC F

visualizerent screwed with this post 07-01-2013 at 07:08 AM
visualizerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #21
DirtClaudeKilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 7

Day 7 238 miles Chester to Kangaroo Lake Campground

It was nice to get a shower, clean cloths and a extra couple of hours of sleep. I had created a schedule for this trip but I am about half a day behind. Some of the dirt roads just take a little extra time to ride. I am hoping to catch back up over the next couple of days. I follow the PCQ tracks out of Chester, there is a mixture of dirt and paved until meeting up with Hwy 36. At the intersection Hwy's 36 and 89 I depart the PCQ tracks for good. The PCQ follows Hwy 89 through Lassen National Park, I am trying a forest route just to the west of Lassen. After a few mile on Hwy 36 I turn off on a forest road, Nf-31n45, it has a shorter designation but I can't recall what is was. This is a nice high speed gravel road that is mostly heavily forested. I stop at a meadow that is submerged in about 6"of water. I meet a bug-ologist there who is excited to search for some rare butterflies, or moths or something....I follow this road until it hits Hwy 40, take a sort jaunt on 40 then turn north again on another high speed forest road. I am making some good time. Pretty soon I start seeing filtered views of Mt Shasta. Not long after that I intersect with Hwy 299.

I follow Hwy 299 west and make the turn off toward Big Bend, and McCloud. There are some nice twisty paved roads and some gravel and dirt forest roads, nice views and lakes.

I stop at McCloud for fuel and lunch. For the first time on this trip I accurately calculate my fuel mileage, I got a GPS verified 70 MPG on this last stretch. I am excited to be riding around Mt Shasta. Something about Shasta gets my blood flowing. In reality this whole trip was put together as a means to ride around Shasta. Last year my KTM 990 adventure lost power about 10 miles into the trip. I eventually got it to running but I didn't know why it died or if it would die again, so headed back to the pavement as stayed there the rest of the trip. This year I don't expect to have any problems. The route I took around Shasta I was a combination of tracks I drew on Mapsource and some that I got from a inmate on this site. I am not sure if was on the well known Military Pass road at all or not. It was a good ride with a lot of good views of the mountain. At the northern end of the ride there was a lot of deep sand. Even on a smaller bike I worked up a pretty good sweat before I made it to Hwy 97. From there I made quick stop in Weed for supplies and rode up to Kangaroo Lake for the evening.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:20 PM   #22
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,532
Great ride and report, but what maps are you using to find these neat roads, most of my maps seem to fall short
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #23
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
I love the whole idea of the 250! I've just now started getting the "bug" for a dirt bike and have been wondering what to look for? Anywhere from a 250 to a 400 would be my first choices I think? I want to be able to hit the highway at times and 70 mph sounds good to me. Thanks for doing this RR as it's giving me more crazy ideas at 70 yrs. old. Never have had a dirt bike before!

Gary
There already is the Suzuki DRZ 400 and if you need more power the DR650, both great bikes for this, my DR650 is now a 790 so the same size and weight as the 650 with 140cc more, boy it is fun, less weight than 800 dual sports, with simple carb and gravity feed fuel, no radiator a little less power, whats not to like
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #24
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 16,239
very nice pics and awesome route.

good job and thanks.
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #25
jackanory
I am Jack's wasted life

Oddometer: 476
Great report!

Sure makes me miss CA
jackanory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #26
Henry James
Looking for Adventure

Oddometer: 349
Ride Report

I am enjoying your report. Some of it is in my back yard
Old 07-01-2013, 07:50 AM   #27
visualizerent
Raconteur

MAP LINKY - 73 MILES (2.5 HOURS)

Time permitting, here's a scenic, mostly dirt way to connect 80 to 49 after Soda Springs Rd. via Bowman Lake Rd. along the PCT.
Fuel and limited food avail. at either end, Soda Springs and Bassets. Great Camping areas.

Kangaroo Lake? Great Idea, I never heard of it before.

Juan
Nevada City, CA.

Do you have the actual links to your Google maps? Would love to check 'em out.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #28
DirtClaudeKilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualizerent View Post
MAP LINKY - 73 MILES (2.5 HOURS)

Time permitting, here's a scenic, mostly dirt way to connect 80 to 49 after Soda Springs Rd. via Bowman Lake Rd. along the PCT.
Fuel and limited food avail. at either end, Soda Springs and Bassets. Great Camping areas.

Kangaroo Lake? Great Idea, I never heard of it before.

Juan
Nevada City, CA.

Do you have the actual links to your Google maps? Would love to check 'em out.
That looks like a more interesting route.

I would like to post links to the Google Maps but I haven't figured out how to do that. If you can point me to tutorial I will change all of the images into live links.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #29
visualizerent
Raconteur

Posting Maps

Here's a link about posting live Google Maps.

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22090

There is probably a thread here on ADV as well.

Short version-

Go to your Google Map, click link symbol (upper left), right click highlighted link and COPY.

Go to your ADV post click 'Insert Link' and paste.

Advanced Version-

To make your screen shot a live link.

Go to Your ADV post and edit the following, highlight your complete Google Map screenshot IMG text.
Click 'Insert Link' and paste your Google Map link (as explained above).

This should make your screen shot a live link to your Google Map. Fun and easy, hope this helps, looking forward to your maps.

BTW I'm using Google Chrome browser.

Juan
Nevada City, CA.

visualizerent screwed with this post 07-01-2013 at 01:48 PM
Old 07-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #30
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
Hey DCK
Awesome route, thanks for posting. I have been reluctant to cross the valley because there are not enough connecting dirt roads and I run a non DOT knobby on the front plus it's a boring ride on the street, but looks like your rout would be worth it. Looking forward to the rest of your report. Another Central Coast Rider.

Baja Ho screwed with this post 07-01-2013 at 05:03 PM
Baja Ho is offline   Reply With Quote