Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #31
DirtClaudeKilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by visualizerent View Post
Here's a link about posting live Google Maps.

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22090

There is probably a thread here on ADV as well.

Short version-

Go to your Google Map, click link symbol (upper left), right click highlighted link and COPY.

Go to your ADV post click 'Insert Link' and paste.

Advanced Version-

To make your live link a screen shot.

Go to Your ADV post and edit the following, highlight your complete Google Map screenshot IMG text.
Click 'Insert Link' and paste your Google Map link (as explained above).

This should make your screen shot a live link to your Google Map. Fun and easy, hope this helps, looking forward to your maps.

BTW I'm using Google Chrome browser.

Juan
Nevada City, CA.

Thanks for the info - I have all of my tracks in Mapsource and I can view them in Google Earth (not google maps). I will look into ways to convert from Mapsource to Google maps...

DirtClaudeKilly screwed with this post 07-01-2013 at 03:49 PM
DirtClaudeKilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #32
DirtClaudeKilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 8

Day 8 240 mile, Kangaroo Campground to Fortuna

Today is the start of the return trip home. It will be mostly paved with one exception that I have been looking forward to, Usal road, but that is not until tomorrow. Today is about getting to the coast, but not is a straight line.

Kangaroo Campground is about 10 miles up a windy, paved mountain road. I ride down in elevation and connect with Hwy 3 for short while then turn east onto Cecilville road. It starts off as a highspeed mountain highway with big sweepers and elevation change. I see a black bear run across the road not too far in front of me. Soon I pass the Pacific Crest Trail. Once pass Cecilville, the road becomes much tighter as it closely follows the South Fork of the Salmon river. After many turns, it connects with Hwy 96 which I follow south on a very nice ride to Hoopa then Willow creek at the intersection of Hwy 299, where I stop for lunch at the Big Foot Resturant, from the quality of the food, it is possible the he is the cook.

After lunch I head south on Hwy 299 and take a right on Friday Ridge and follow to Forest Road 1 which is a great 40 plus mile road that follows ridge lines and is great riding with panoramic views. Eventually this connects to Hwy 36. It is mid afternoon and I buck the headwinds into the town of Fortuna. I am beat and get a hotel for the night.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #33
Oldone
One day at a time!

Oddometer: 652
Great country......

That sure looks like some sweet country to do a little riding in. Thanks for the entertainment......

Gary "Oldone"

Grampa’s Lake Superior Ride
Grampa’s National Monument Ride

Oldone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #34
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,515
I've done 36, but in a truck and camper it would be nice on a moto, pot farm heaven, if you go in the natural food store in Eureka, everyone pays with $100 bills
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #35
DirtClaudeKilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
I've done 36, but in a truck and camper it would be nice on a moto, pot farm heaven, if you go in the natural food store in Eureka, everyone pays with $100 bills
At first I didn't realize what was going on, but I kept seeing pickup trucks or trailers with stacks of bags of potting soil.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #36
DirtClaudeKilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 9

Day 9 256 miles, Fortuna to Sonoma Coast State Beach

I have been looking forward to riding Usal road for a few years, something about it and the Lost Coast has an allure. I wake up to a cool, drizzly, windy morning. Pretty typical weather for these part in June. I ride through the small, quaint town of Ferndale on the way to Mattole Road and the Lost Coast. I especially l enjoy the first part of the ride, to and along the ocean.

The road then turns inland and winds along for a while until intersecting with Shelter Cove road with I follow to Chemise Mountain road. From here it is not far until the pavement end and Usal road starts. Usal road, which stands for USA Lumber, is an old lumber road the travels through the heavily wooded coastal mountains. It is pretty tight and rough. It is a very nice ride down to Usal Beach, I had envisioned more panoramic coastal views but trees blocked most of them. I spend an hour or so hanging out at the beach, there is also an nice wooded campground that would make a good base camp. The ride from the beach to Hwy 1 was even more fun, Usal road is like a roller coaster ride that you don't want to end. Unfortunately it did.

From here my route I paved all the way home. The weather is nice with moderate winds and for the most part the traffic is light. I ride at a spirited clip the rest of the afternoon and make camp for the evening at Sonoma Coast State Beach at Bodega Bay.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #37
DirtClaudeKilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 10

Day 10 416 miles Sonoma Coast State Beach - Home

Today is the last day of the ride. I follow Hwy 1 down the coast, across the Golden Gate Bridge and into San Francisco. Once past the Golden Gate bridge I stay as far right (west) and I can and enjoy the sites. I continue down hwy 1 through Santa Cruz, Carmel and the Big Sur Coast. The cross winds just North of Monterrey were brutal, I had a few pucker moments.

Once past Carmel there was a delay for construction. After about 10 minutes of holding my place in line I decided to try to make it to the front of the line of the stopped cars. When got the front, the flag man waved me into the pole position. It ended up being about a 45 minute delay but the end result was that when the flagged dropped, I had clear sailing through the normally very slow traffic along this section of coast line. I only had to pass a handful of cars all the way down to Nacimiento Ferguson road. I am guilty of riding a little too fast and passing a little too aggressively but sometimes it is had to throttle back. The WR250R was surprisingly adept at this type of riding. I followed Nacimiento Ferguson road back over the Coastal range and through Hunter Liggett Army base. The roads are open to the public but for the first time on the trip I took the speed limit signs very seriously. By now my butt was getting pretty sore and it all I wanted to do was get home. I took Hwy 101 south and made to home just before dark.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

DirtClaudeKilly screwed with this post 07-02-2013 at 09:41 PM
DirtClaudeKilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #38
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 704
Great story DCK! Thanks for telling it and thanks again for the tracks/route, it is exactly what I had in mind for an Oregon visit next year.
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #39
Katze
Full Time Rider

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackanory View Post
Great report!

Sure makes me miss CA
That's a joke... right???
Old 07-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #40
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Great report...
Old 07-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #41
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,668
Good stuff, DirtClaude!

Glad I stumbled on to this report. I rode a small portion of the route 2 years
ago, loved the Briceberg switchbacks and have the same photos of Half Dome
along the trail...

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #42
outlaws
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Awesome RR, I have been searching for a recent update of this route. It's been a dream of mine to complete this as well.
outlaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #43
DirtClaudeKilly OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Follow up

A couple of thoughts after finishing the ride.

The route - A good part of this ride followed the Pacific Crest Quest tracks. Without these tracks I really would not have known were to go. Modern GPS's make this type of exploring so much easier. If anyone is going to follow the tracks I provided please note that there were a few places that i took a different route than the PCQ, I recommend overlaying the PCQ tracks and mine and decided what looks best. The advantage of my tracks are that they have been recorded with a newer GPS so the resolution is much better.

The bike - I am very pleased with how the Yamaha WR250R performed on the trip. It obviously doesn't have the power of a bigger bore thumper or a multi cylinder adventure bike but it revs all day, is smooth, light and agile. It handled the windy paved roads like Hwy 1 surprisingly well. The only riding that it seem a little overmatched is on the superslab. The 4 times I checked the fuel consumption with the GPS I got a low of 62 mpg and a high of 70 mpg. It ran fine the whole trip and nothing broke or came loose. I am glad that i left the exhaust stock. The next upgrades i make to the bike will be on the suspension and maybe some driving lights and maybe.......

I am hoping to ride some of the OBDR, possibly in September. After that i would like to ride the "Western Triangle" Central Oregon to the North end of the CDR to the TAT and back to Oregon. Then there is Alaska, the question is bike big or small bike?????

Thanks for the positive comments.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #44
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,457
Nice report, thanks.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 02:14 PM   #45
bikepsych
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Great ride report. You are courageous for doing this on your own! Seems like it is worth doing again...backwards!

Heading to Shasta next weekend. Did you hit that section up or did I miss it?

BG
2009 Harley Road Glide
2006 Buell Ulysses
bikepsych is offline   Reply With Quote