Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
iantochips OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Question Us ageing hooligans, what bike?

Ok, I'm almost 60, bit of arthritis in the wrists, short at 5'8", and 11 stone soaking wet. Still ride like I took my brain out before leaving home.

Can't help it. I've ridden like this for 45 years and probably 50+ bikes.

Last few bikes? Guzzi 1200 Sport (couldn't cope with the clip ons), Bmw 1150GSA (fabulous road bike but high and heavy), Triumph Scrambler (million dollar looks, bland, slow). And I still have an XT600 for the dirt roads round my house.

The dirt roads shred chains and I'd like belt or a shaft.

And I'm not rich! Got about 5000 max to spend on something to satisfy the inner hooligan. Preferably less. XR1200? Any particular Buell with a lower seat than the Ulysses I tried a while ago? Loved the bike but the styling is def not hooligan enough and I needed a step ladder to climb aboard!
iantochips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
I'm 60 years old, have arthritis, 5'10", 13 stone, and ride an XR1200. The first time I rode it it reminded me of my old Norton Commando (although it is heavier and more powerful). I can flat foot it at a stop with both knees bent.

I've ridden a Guzzi 1200 Sport (and owned a 750 Nevada). The XR is comparable in power and handling to the Guzzi 1200, but has a more standard seating position. You lean very slightly forward.

Try one. I think you'll like it, although it's too heavy for dirt roads, and the belt won't fare any better than a chain.
Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by iantochips View Post
Any particular Buell with a lower seat than the Ulysses I tried a while ago? Loved the bike but the styling is def not hooligan enough and I needed a step ladder to climb aboard!
XB12STT seems to satisfy this. Lower than the Uly, more hooligan than the Uly.

unlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
Pokeyjoe
Aprilia Dorsoduro

Oddometer: 370
Griso. Million dollar looks, shaft drive.
Pokeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
sfrider300
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Griso

Griso. 5'8" is not too short for it.
sfrider300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,250
Can you tell us how you plan to use it, touring, bar hopper, all roadways, some unsaved roads, day ride, pillion rider, etc.......

Last year I bought a Vespa 300 GTS in Las Vegas, road it to S. Ca. to play in the canyons, then Yosemite...... then home to Florida. 5000 mile of smiles in 30 days, never had more fun on 2 wheels in over 54 years of riding. Ride what puts a smile on your face.

Don't let the age thing slow you down, I'm 69 and manage about 20k miles a year, no time to grow old here.

Regards, Paul
Old 06-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by iantochips View Post
Ok, I'm almost 60, bit of arthritis in the wrists, short at 5'8", and 11 stone soaking wet. Still ride like I took my brain out before leaving home.

Can't help it. I've ridden like this for 45 years and probably 50+ bikes.

Last few bikes? Guzzi 1200 Sport (couldn't cope with the clip ons), Bmw 1150GSA (fabulous road bike but high and heavy), Triumph Scrambler (million dollar looks, bland, slow). And I still have an XT600 for the dirt roads round my house.

The dirt roads shred chains and I'd like belt or a shaft.

And I'm not rich! Got about 5000 max to spend on something to satisfy the inner hooligan. Preferably less. XR1200? Any particular Buell with a lower seat than the Ulysses I tried a while ago? Loved the bike but the styling is def not hooligan enough and I needed a step ladder to climb aboard!
You have so many choices in Europe that we don't get here, this is a tough one. And you don't want a chain, but you want a hooligan bike. And it's got to have a relatively low seat height?

hmmmm

Buell and Moto Guzzi? Hooligans? I don't think so. Top heavy pigs if you ask me.

I think you probably need to do a better job of chain maintenance, and give yourself a bunch more options.

What about the new Mt-09 that Yamaha is coming out with? Or perhaps a left over FZ8?

I would think you could find something like a ZRX1200R/GSX1400/Bandit...

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
Can you tell us how you plan to use it, touring, bar hopper, all roadways, some unsaved roads, day ride, pillion rider, etc.......

Last year I bought a Vespa 300 GTS in Las Vegas, road it to S. Ca. to play in the canyons, then Yosemite...... then home to Florida. 5000 mile of smiles in 30 days, never had more fun on 2 wheels in over 54 years of riding. Ride what puts a smile on your face.

Don't let the age thing slow you down, I'm 69 and manage about 20k miles a year, no time to grow old here.

Regards, Paul
At 56 I sometimes wonder how many more good years I have of riding,this was inspiring

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
JStory
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,687
1200 Bandit?

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr Samuel Johnson.
JStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #10
iantochips OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post

Regards, Paul
Should have been clearer- we have great roads here in my quiet corner of Portugal and almost no traffic. Mostly local 150 mile days so not too concerned with range or seat comfort.

Rarely with a pillion- in my shed is an old VL1500 which I'm bobbing, dechroming, and attaching to a Dnepr sidecar for family outings or group bar hopping. For serious hooligan outings I think I should only risk my own neck! Love the Vespa story though!

I did 650 mile days on my last few bikes coming back from the Uk and even the Scrambler was ok, just let down by its overtaking performance, poor suspension and wooden front brake (guess you can tell I didn't like it....).

My house is a mile up a dirt road and the surface much of the year is an astonishingly abrasive fine dust. Chain cleaning is a daily ritual and I've been spoiled by the BM and the Guzzi.

Can't believe anyone would call a Guzzi a top heavy pig after riding one for long enough to appreciate its virtues. The Tonti frame was a handling paragon in the days when Jap frames were still made of knicker elastic. The 8v Griso is hard to find in my price range though.

My short list is all v-twins. Griso, XR, and a Buell. A Speed triple without the chain would be there though.

Buell's have a certain charm....
iantochips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #11
OneTraveller
Social Reject

Oddometer: 123
Ducati Monster or Hyper if you can live with a chain.

Mike
To paraphrase Antoine de St-Exupery
I ride because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things.
OneTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #12
Bugtussle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 533
Im 62 and i've been spending allot more time in the "Battle Scooter" forum. Its nice slowing down a bit. These days for me its two shots of Geritol and a good crack on the ass with canoe paddle. Then Im off at a ripping 45 mph smelling the roses! Good stuff. Too old now to get busted up.

2013 Vespa GTS 300ie Super
Bugtussle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
cueball
should'a walked it first

Oddometer: 723
i'll be 64 in a month and like nothing better than coming off humps in the road on one wheel wound out in 2nd or third gear on my ducati st4!! my shaft driven r1200rt is a hoot also, but when i leave the ole brain at home, as you say, that 916 motor is hard to beat!!
cueball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #14
rockmurf
IBA #31100

Oddometer: 327
2013 triumph street triple r
rockmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #15
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,434
I'll be 69 in a few days. I no longer ride with reckless abandon but I still ride almost every day. I rode Harleys and a few Hondas for years but now I ride a Suzuki S40 650 cruiser. Its about all I can handle any more.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote