Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #31
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdonley View Post
...Tried a Sportster. Basic, the roadster...

Your Sporty is super nice.

How do your knees tolerate the mids?

Which fairing?

If mine, I would also do a laydown plate mount and a fender rack. Maybe different bags.
B02S4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #32
SnoDrtRider
Got Snow?

Oddometer: 2,349
Grab an old Harley FXR... stiffest and best handling frame Harley ever built. Eric Buell was on the engineering team. Put a nice set of shocks in the back, Gold Valve emulators in the front forks and a set of sport oriented bars to offset the changes that Harley marketing did to mainstream the bike and ride!

Mine is a Early 1984 FXRS which was the first year for the EVO engine and last half year of chain drive.
I am 56 and go out every weekend for 150 or so miles of back road riding. Fun bike that gets a lot of questions from the Harley guys who plunked down their plastic for a new HD and a Halloween costume (leather and a fake helmet)

'80 Suzuki GS850G, '74 Honda MT250 Enduro
'71 Kawasaki 100,1971 Honda SL70, Sears Mini Bike
SnoDrtRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #33
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,342
While I used to be as anti-Harley as they come, I have more recently became a convert and find that I actually enjoy my Sportster a great deal... for what it is. It performs adequately, is reasonably comfortable, is very satisfying to ride, and makes me smile a lot.

And while I could recommend that anyone try one for themselves, I couldn't recommend one in this thread since in my mind Harley and the term "hooligan bike" don't even belong in the same thought.

Perhaps my idea of "hooligan" is different from some, but when I think of a hooligan bike, I think of something quick, light and flickable. There's quite a few choices that come to mind but the first thing I'd consider now would probably be a Hypermotard or Speed Triple. About the only thing I could imagine that fits the bill and doesn't have a chain would be one of the later Buells. But honestly, I'd rather deal with chain maintenance than trust a belt to a lot of use on gravel roads.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #34
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,811
The OP said no chains on a hooligan bike for not much money.

Yamaha V Max

IBA#39,523

conchscooter screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 09:20 PM Reason: Yamaha V Max
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #35
vicmitch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
I'm almost 53, 5'8" and getting a 2012 V-Strom woke up the inner hooligan in me. Great thing about it, you can do the most insanely stupid things on it and no one notices you.

Mitch
vicmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #36
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by B02S4 View Post
Your Sporty is super nice.

How do your knees tolerate the mids?
Which fairing?
If mine, I would also do a laydown plate mount and a fender rack. Maybe different bags.
Thanks. Knee's are great. and one's a replacement, the other needs it. That's what forced me off my R1100RS.
It's a Memphis Shades batwing.
I need to do the plate. Just haven't had time. I like it plain on the fender. Uncluttered. If I was camping, I'd add a rack. The bags are HD had, leather covered bags.Not huge, but enough for me. Locking, and I modded the mounts to make them quick release. I commute, so they don't seem to get removed much!
bdonley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #37
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Perhaps my idea of "hooligan" is different from some, but when I think of a hooligan bike, I think of something quick, light and flickable. .
I mentioned HD, because of the XR1200R being available there. That should qualify as a hooligan Harley!
I'm ok with the Sporty in general as one, tho. I blast around, go faster then I should, and have a lot of fun on mine. it shakes, makes fun noises, and and just is a blast to ride. I probably ride it as hard as I rode my Monster, the bike that defined hooligan bikes................
bdonley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:50 PM   #38
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 451
Quote:
While I used to be as anti-Harley as they come, I have more recently became a convert and find that I actually enjoy my Sportster a great deal... for what it is. It performs adequately, is reasonably comfortable, is very satisfying to ride, and makes me smile a lot.

And while I could recommend that anyone try one for themselves, I couldn't recommend one in this thread since in my mind Harley and the term "hooligan bike" don't even belong in the same thought.

Perhaps my idea of "hooligan" is different from some, but when I think of a hooligan bike, I think of something quick, light and flickable. There's quite a few choices that come to mind but the first thing I'd consider now would probably be a Hypermotard or Speed Triple. About the only thing I could imagine that fits the bill and doesn't have a chain would be one of the later Buells. But honestly, I'd rather deal with chain maintenance than trust a belt to a lot of use on gravel roads.
Exactly
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #39
iantochips OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:

Quick, light(ish) & flickable will do me fine. The XT will handle the gravel- when I put a new 5th gear in this winter! The mile or so approach to my house though is fine dust rather than gravel, and this is what sticks to and gets into the chain,o-rings, x-rings whatever.

I cleaned the Scrambler's chain every trip almost, used non sticky chain lube etc. but still it had tight spots and became noisy at disappointingly few miles.
I've never had a belt drive bike, so put me right, but I'd have thought it would handle the very fine dust ok?

Lots of votes for the Speed Triple, and for me it's the definition of hooligan. I saw a great shot somewhere on the net of a Polish girl seriously wheelying a Griso though. The green one with that brown leather seat is rather fetching no?
iantochips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:22 AM   #40
wario
good bike cleaner...

Oddometer: 186
I am ignoring the "no chain" requirement

Two more hooligan's worth considering... Duke, and SuperDuke!

I've ridden the SuperDuke quite a bit. I think I had the front wheel on the ground at least part of the time.

"Our founding fathers would be shooting by now..."
wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #41
BobbyLee666
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Blakebird, if all of those are yours, color me jealous!
Old 06-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #42
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by iantochips View Post
...I've never had a belt drive bike, so put me right, but I'd have thought it would handle the very fine dust ok?...
What a belt drive will not handle well is any aggregate, gravel or other hard debris between the belt & pully. If you ride in those circumstances, what's your plan to prevent that situation from occuring?
B02S4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #43
HyperPete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757

At 57 I've settled on a KTM Duke 690, upright position, easy legal speeds and very easy thru mountain bends at lunatic speeds.
Most rides have full throttle, would love a Hyabusa for these long fast roads but save my speed and hooliganism for the bends, still considering the future, might settle on a comfy current model V-Max, always loved their style and power
:)
Old 06-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #44
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLee666 View Post
Blakebird, if all of those are yours, color me jealous!

the link in my sig line shows other, less hooligan choices I've made going back to 1968.

and if you throw dirt bikes in the mix as a potential hooligan activity....I have plenty more pictures
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #45
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 8,074
With your no chain restriction, a BMW r1200r.

Ignoring your restriction a Ducati Hypermotard S.

Can loft the front on either. A little harder on the r, but truth be told, it's probably faster on the street.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is online now   Reply With Quote