Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #46
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 8,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post
With your no chain restriction, a BMW r1200r.

Ignoring your restriction a Ducati Hypermotard S.

Can loft the front on either. A little harder on the r, but truth be told, it's probably faster on the street.
You know what though? My next 150 mile ripping around street bike is gonna be a mid control, stripped down Dyna or Sportster. Feels fast. In fact, is faster than most riders are. Without crazy street speeds.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #47
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdonley View Post
Thanks. Knee's are great. and one's a replacement, the other needs it. ...
I tested a Yamaha FZ8 and a Bolt last weekend...the FZ8 is a great bike, however due to a prior leg injury the FZ8 wasn't comfortable for me to ride. I then remembered why I sold my modded Speed 4...& it even had the Buell XB peg mod that increased seat to peg length.

My evaluation of the Bolt is in the Bolt thread. I don't want one.

I
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #48
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC View Post
You know what though? My next 150 mile ripping around street bike is gonna be a mid control, stripped down Dyna or Sportster. Feels fast. In fact, is faster than most riders are. Without crazy street speeds.
Just where I'm at. Bike's an '05 Sporty. Shocks, forks and stage 1
Pipes and intake. Mids and Mustang seat. Went squirreling around for a couple hrs after work. Canyon roads, to cruising the beach for a burrito. Perfect. Suits me well, comfortable, but not a road couch. Maybe at 58, my definition of hooligan ride's changed. I need to get up the next day, but not ready for a Gold Wing and "Touring Elks" windbreaker. There's a Robert Earl Keen song that goes "like an old desperado, I'm gonna paint the town beige". Pretty well it.....

bdonley screwed with this post 06-28-2013 at 10:50 PM
bdonley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #49
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by iantochips View Post
Ok, I'm almost 60, bit of arthritis in the wrists, short at 5'8", and 11 stone soaking wet. Still ride like I took my brain out before leaving home.

Can't help it. I've ridden like this for 45 years and probably 50+ bikes.

Last few bikes? Guzzi 1200 Sport (couldn't cope with the clip ons), Bmw 1150GSA (fabulous road bike but high and heavy), Triumph Scrambler (million dollar looks, bland, slow). And I still have an XT600 for the dirt roads round my house.

The dirt roads shred chains and I'd like belt or a shaft.

And I'm not rich! Got about £5000 max to spend on something to satisfy the inner hooligan. Preferably less. XR1200? Any particular Buell with a lower seat than the Ulysses I tried a while ago? Loved the bike but the styling is def not hooligan enough and I needed a step ladder to climb aboard!

I just wrote a long reply about your fun problem but my hotel Internet crapped out just as I hit send so its all gone
Below is the answer to your dreams, except its out of budget. I rode this around Portugal for 18 months. It's an absolute riot and I should have kept it. After this I got a 1200RT, SHMBO and I decide to do some touring again and to be honest the RT was a lot of fun too. The bike in between is the R1200R which if I had the same criteria for a bike as yourself would be my choice, Although I like he looks of he Griso better and it's a cooler bike. Otherwise if you decide you can live with having a chain, get a street triple, without a doubt the most fun bike I have ever ridden and I still want one 2 years after my test ride. Next year I might be able to have 2 bikes, a streety will be the one without a doubt.
Where in Portugal do you get to ride? I'm heading off to the Serra Da Estrella region soon for a couple of days but would welcome a recommendation,
Good luck with your decision
Bingbong

Old 06-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #50
ken robert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I turn 65 this fall, officially old. My current motorcycle is a 06 FZ1. An FZ1 on the gas is something to enjoy. My experience with modern chains is very minimal service, dirt is no big thing. How old is too old, going to find out. Many years ago a 84 year old BMW rider friend sold his long owned R69s. I saw tears come to the old motorcyclist as the bike was loaded up. I plan to be him.
ken robert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:20 PM   #51
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=bingbong;21751501]I just wrote a long reply about your fun problem but my hotel Internet crapped out just as I hit send so its all gone
Below is the answer to your dreams, except its out of budget. I rode this around Portugal for 18 months. It's an absolute riot and I should have kept it. After this I got a 1200RT, SHMBO and I decide to do some touring again and to be honest the RT was a lot of fun too. The bike in between is the R1200R which if I had the same criteria for a bike as yourself would be my choice,

Really cool. Maybe the ultimate Beemer. I loved my RS. Just got to the point where my wretched knees wouldn't let me ride it anymore...
Old 06-29-2013, 03:18 AM   #52
iantochips OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingbong View Post
I just wrote a long reply about your fun problem but my hotel Internet crapped out just as I hit send so its all gone
Below is the answer to your dreams, except its out of budget. I rode this around Portugal for 18 months. It's an absolute riot and I should have kept it. After this I got a 1200RT, SHMBO and I decide to do some touring again and to be honest the RT was a lot of fun too. The bike in between is the R1200R which if I had the same criteria for a bike as yourself would be my choice, Although I like he looks of he Griso better and it's a cooler bike. Otherwise if you decide you can live with having a chain, get a street triple, without a doubt the most fun bike I have ever ridden and I still want one 2 years after my test ride. Next year I might be able to have 2 bikes, a streety will be the one without a doubt.
Where in Portugal do you get to ride? I'm heading off to the Serra Da Estrella region soon for a couple of days but would welcome a recommendation,
Good luck with your decision
Bingbong

Hi! The HP2? I've only ever seen one but the seat height looks like I'd need some serious platform boots.

I'm in the Alentejo near Mertola at the South end of this lovely country. Officially apparently the most thinly populated area of Europe before the enlargement of the EU.

Fantastic biking country- bend after well surfaced bend and very little traffic. Never far from excellent coffee and a friendly Portuguese welcome.

Curiously I used to ride my 1150 Gsa like, as they say, I stole it. Maybe the amazingly neutral handling, great brakes etc. compensated for its considerable weight and comparative lack of power. And, unlike some people, I loved the slightly remote but very planted feel of the front end.
iantochips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:27 AM   #53
Tim_Tom
Riding an' Wrenching

Oddometer: 234
Ducati was just spotted testing is new 1198 Monster... Would be perfect.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...monster-spied/
Tim_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #54
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Tom View Post

You Sir, have just made my day! I will be saving my pennies for this!

( I'm afraid that it's going to be a hell of a lot of pennies)
Old 06-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #55
Tim_Tom
Riding an' Wrenching

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripple View Post
You Sir, have just made my day! I will be saving my pennies for this!

( I'm afraid that it's going to be a hell of a lot of pennies)
Glad to be of service! It should be a true monster make no mistake. Ought to end all complaints of low power from the current air cooled line.
Tim_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #56
Trans4ormer
B to V 1983

Oddometer: 54
Nothing is perfect...I'm 63, been riding 50 years and live in twisty heaven. 5'9" with 30" inseam and let's just say I have several more rocks in my pockets than most of you...I ride a KTM Super Duke R.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:16 AM   #57
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Tom View Post

Hard to argue with a Monster of any model. They've all been great bikes that helped define hooligan.......
Old 06-30-2013, 05:51 AM   #58
wario
good bike cleaner...

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans4ormer View Post
Nothing is perfect...I'm 63, been riding 50 years and live in twisty heaven. 5'9" with 30" inseam and let's just say I have several more rocks in my pockets than most of you...I ride a KTM Super Duke R.
The sound when riding that bike with that exhaust is intoxicating!!!

"Our founding fathers would be shooting by now..."
wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:40 AM   #59
iantochips OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by wario View Post
The sound when riding that bike with that exhaust is intoxicating!!!
Oh- my list gets longer again, that is surely the poster boy for hooliganism.......

Ps: any takers for a K1200R? Big hp, shaft drive, naked, what's, as they say, not to like? Anyone got/ridden one?
iantochips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #60
Nookie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
How about you take your money and buy two 1200 bandits. I'm 61 and just bought a 2002 for $2000 a month ago and every time I get on it and let it rip I feel like a hooligan. I'm going to add some luggage racks, highway pegs, windshield, and some touring bars from holeshot performance and make a stone cold reliable sport tourer out of it on a broke ass budget.