User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #136
ReadyFreddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Thumb

Wow, What an adventure, Jeff...It's really cool the good people you meet along the way. The fraternity of motorcyclists is really something special.
Anthony
ReadyFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #137
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Glad you enjoyed the route recommendations, Jeff. Keep up the good work, I'll be following along as you continue south. Cheers!
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #138
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian2tall View Post
Just when I was starting to think you were rushing your trip you go and take time to stop and see some very interesting sights. Thanks again for sharing your adventures and keep those RRs coming.
Thanks Brian, it's always great to know that people are following along and I want to see as much as I can without breaking the bank, this does mean that a lot of the very touristy places will be avoided if possible but I'm looking for interesting things and mother nature has given me that in spades.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
Wow, What an adventure, Jeff...It's really cool the good people you meet along the way. The fraternity of motorcyclists is really something special.
Anthony
Hey Anthony, the camaraderie amongst motorcyclist is amazing, I have been very fortunate so far and hope this will continue.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GISdood View Post
Glad you enjoyed the route recommendations, Jeff. Keep up the good work, I'll be following along as you continue south. Cheers!
Thanks Kelly, will try to keep everyone entertained including myself.

Jeff
Super Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #139
eemsreno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 831
Jeff
Looks like your having a great trip.
The Super Teneres are great bikes.
I ordered mine 8 months before our Alaska trip and it came the day after we left.
Did the ride to Inuvik in 2011 with my son.
Was a trip of a Life Time.
Stay safe.
Subscribed.
Steve
eemsreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #140
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by eemsreno View Post
Jeff
Looks like your having a great trip.
The Super Teneres are great bikes.
I ordered mine 8 months before our Alaska trip and it came the day after we left.
Did the ride to Inuvik in 2011 with my son.
Was a trip of a Life Time.
Stay safe.
Subscribed.
Steve
Thanks Steve for coming along, to bad you were not able to do it on The Super Tenere it has been a super bike so far, the ride over the Dempster is for sure the ride to take at least once in your lifetime and glad you made it safe and sound.

Jeff
Old 07-30-2013, 08:39 AM   #141
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 27

Made it to my Sister's place in 8 hrs and in 37c hot weather, very happy to be able to relax for a few days, this will give me some time to explore and see if I will continue to the West Coast or go down the Mid West on my way to Mexico, don't want to ride through the smoke again, that 200km stretch between Whitehorse and Dawson was enough.
Will post my route when I know and I'm also working on a story that I did finally come to realize while riding through the Desert maybe it was because of the heat or dehydration I don't really know but I will give it to you and you can decide for yourself, so stay tuned for that.

Jeff
Old 07-31-2013, 08:49 AM   #142
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 28 rest

Funny how thing come and go in your life and I always think there are more reasons to these events then that meet the eye, after having seen the movie Avatar and a huge fan of the story it made me realize a bit more about fragile nature and what is the meaning of life, is it our new world rush to have it all or is it a slower old world (Indigenous) pace of life the way to go, this journey has become more or less my Walkabout or I call it my Rideabout.
During this trip I have encounter many amazing things and have given help without expecting anything back in return and yet I have received countless times more generosity back then what I have given. The meaning of life, maybe.

While I was up North and had stopped for groceries an Indian Elder walks up to me and says You Are Rider of Blue Beast and hands me a Tribal Medicine Wheel with expectations of payment of course, after looking at it I felt honoured and some how guilty not to accept this token and I paid him for it and so it ended in my backpack for the time, while I was at that Big Cedar and struck with how amazing she would have looked in her younger years of glory and now standing there painfully dying with just a few sprouts of green left, touching her side I felt overwhelmed with emotion and could not help but shed a tear onto her feet and wishing I could tap into her Eywa (spirit) and hear her stories while I could try to give her comfort in that I somehow could understand her sorrow. I walked back to my bike and was thinking all this being out in the middle of nowhere with not a soul around must be getting to me or I'm getting to sentimental I guess with old age and rode away on my new GPS given route and not following the road back the way I had come, with now having ridden some 10 thousand miles I felt more connected to my bike then I had before and the bike was following the trail as if it knew where to go, funny I thought how come this is happening now and just then down swoops this massive Owl and circles around me and up into the trees, wow I must have frightened him and I did not think another moment about it, the trail was getting smaller and at times very bumpy with my luggage starting to shake loose I stopped to tighten things up and the Medicine Wheel was showing, glad I caught it on time or I would have lost it, I tucked things in a little tighter and went on.

While I was riding down in the desert with the stifling heat my mind is trying to processing the last couple of days events and trying to find some kind of clarity to it, and once again stopping for gas another rider asks where I'm from and I tell him from Ottawa and that I had ridden up to Inuvik and now on my way to Tierra Del Fuego he says to me wow all that on that Beast with that load that is amazing, I thanked him and went back to the desert road with more heat and some steep inclines I came across another rider puffing his way up on a single cylinder laying down full throttle trying to make the grade up and he was struggling to do so, I felt like I was swooping down on him, like a bird of pray and so happy that this Beast has so much power it finally dawned on me that it was like I was riding Turok or Last Shadow if you will and so from now on my bikes spiritual name will be Turok and only spoken of when appropriate, was it the Indian, the Tree, the Medicine Wheel, or all this heat I really don't know, but there you have it, you decide.

I fond out that the Medicine Wheel is from the Indigenous peoples of America and does not refer to drugs or herbs but, to inner spiritual energy and healing. The circle is an endless creation with connections to the past, present and future. (The great circle of life).
The natural world was created in groups of four. These quadrants represent the four directions and four seasons. Four races of people, four types of creatures and the four elements – wind , fire, water, and air.
Seek to the East for a healthy mind, South for a strong inner spirit, West for inner peace, and North for a strong healthy body.

Coincidence maybe.

Jeff
Old 07-31-2013, 10:25 AM   #143
GY1616
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tenere View Post
While I was riding down in the desert with the stifling heat my mind is trying to processing the last couple of days events and trying to find some kind of clarity to it...
Your post reminds me of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance...
“You look at where you're going and where you are and it never makes sense, but then you look back at where you've been and a pattern seems to emerge.”

Sounds like your journey is really starting to take shape. Thanks for letting us "armchair travelers" follow along.
GY1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:27 AM   #144
Tripper-CMC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Hi Jeff,

I've been watching your progress every day and find it inspiring and exciting to participate in (even if it is from the couch)! Really wish I could have been there with you along the way to experience what you wrote about above, but it does let us in on the spirit and senses of the trip. You have way more stamina than I do Jeff... and probably more saddle sores as well!!!We are rooting for you and your success hundreds of miles away!

Your Google map is now updated and it can be found at:
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...Y.k9meEa6vG6F4
if anyone wants to see the direction you came at a glance and EOD stops you made.

Send me any planned stops if you get a chance and I can add them to the map so we can see the direction you are expecting to be traveling.

Keep 'er safe and have a good rest at your Sisters my friend!

Greg
AKA: Tripper-CMC

Tripper-CMC screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 10:38 AM
Tripper-CMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:35 AM   #145
GY1616
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper-CMC View Post
Greg
Tripper-CMC, thanks for sharing/updating this map... really great... helps to visualize the distances per day.
GY1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #146
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GY1616 View Post
Your post reminds me of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance...
“You look at where you're going and where you are and it never makes sense, but then you look back at where you've been and a pattern seems to emerge.”

Sounds like your journey is really starting to take shape. Thanks for letting us "armchair travelers" follow along.
Thanks GY1616 and will have to read that book one day.

Jeff
Old 08-01-2013, 08:56 AM   #147
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper-CMC View Post
Hi Jeff,

I've been watching your progress every day and find it inspiring and exciting to participate in (even if it is from the couch)! Really wish I could have been there with you along the way to experience what you wrote about above, but it does let us in on the spirit and senses of the trip. You have way more stamina than I do Jeff... and probably more saddle sores as well!!!We are rooting for you and your success hundreds of miles away!

if anyone wants to see the direction you came at a glance and EOD stops you made.

Send me any planned stops if you get a chance and I can add them to the map so we can see the direction you are expecting to be traveling.

Keep 'er safe and have a good rest at your Sisters my friend!

Greg
Thanks Greg for all your help and knowing that you and many are following along makes me want to go further on this journey of discovery. Making use of my five senses, sight, sound, smell, taste, touch has been a spiritual awakening for me, being alone on endless stretches makes you think, and aware about all kinds of things and in finding yourself along the way.

Jeff
Old 08-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #148
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 31

Having a good time in Mountain Home, Idaho, getting some much needed rest and catching up on all kinds of stuff the last few days, I can't thank my sister and brother in law enough for having me stay with them and giving me this time to catch my breath and rest.

Brother in-law Steve and me having some fun on the Lake.

My two lovely nieces that I have finally been able to talk to and have some time with.

Will be leaving on Monday, heading towards Salt Lake City, and will be staying with inmate Michael (dentedvw). Then see if I can get a hold of some of my cousins that I used to play with when I was a kid, and stay for a short visit before moving on.

Trying to plan a little where to go next, and looking at the smoke covered areas has left me with the choice to go through the mid West, first to Salt Lake City and then to Moab where I can ride the White Rim Trail, then down the 46/90 and 141 to Montrose then The Million Dollar Hwy to Durango over the 550 to Bloomfield, 64 to Clamaron 58 and85/25 to Springer, this covers a lot of area and a few days or weeks of riding, will see where to go from there, it will either end in Albuquerque New Mexico before heading toward Mexico and Copper Canyon or head towards the Baja and then Copper Canyon, don't know yet but that will come as I go.
Still need to work on my Spanish lessons that I have been neglected all this time, so I'm hoping to get some of the main phrases down before heading into Mexico.

Jeff
Old 08-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #149
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 34

Left Mountain Home, Idaho and had to take a couple of pictures of some old stuff that I fond interesting because you just don't find this stuff everywhere.

A 1950's Carbon Arc Water Cooled Projector.
[

A 1950's Motel, straight from the Perry Mason Files.

Not wanting to do nothing but Highway I decided to follow the Peaks to Crater route and see The Craters of the Moon National Monument, this was interesting but not much to see other than volcanic rock and some craters, even the pictures look boring, so none of that, being off course I headed towards Pocatello and then through the mountains to Montpeller, and ended up at Garden City, Utah for a nights rest, tomorrow to Salt Lake City.

Jeff
Old 08-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #150
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 35

Garden City, Utah is known for the Raspberry Festival that took place last week and lucky for me because raspberry are on sale Yum Yum.

The Camping owner rides a KLR and told me some good roads to take. The 39 to Ogden is a twisty and beautiful road going through the Wasatch-Cache National Forest, climbing to just over 8900ft with some great views, setting back with my feet on the highway pegs enjoying the ride a Yellow Jacket flew into my pant leg, not knowing what it was at first I stomped my pant leg, not liking this the little bugger got upset and started stinging, made a desperate stop with my trousers dropping down quickly while doing the funky monkey dance, did make some passerby’s look twice and laughing, luckily only five stings.

Made it to inmate dentedvw in Salt Lake City, and will try to get hold of some of my cousins on Wednesday, then head back out on Thursday.

Jeff