Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #181
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Oddometer: 331
Day 42 43

Day 42

Thank you HeadShrinker for the excellent dinner, tour and the sleepover, these ADV people are first class all the way.

Had a few drops of differential oil show-up on the rim so I looked if anyone els has had this before and what it could be, one of the suggestions was to make sure your diff vent was clean, so I looked at mine and all I could see was a clump of mud where it was hiding under, OK I know now, so I cleaned it and changed the oil just for good sake, also thanks to HeadShrinker that gave me the place and the oil to do it, he used to ride a S10 and I think he will go back. LOL

Made my way to the Grand Canyon North Rim and did stay at National Parks Jacobs Lake Campground with no internet of course, at over 8500 ft it made for a nice cool night with beautiful scenery and of course the Grand Canyon, these will be hard to beat, but I'm going to do my best though.

Made a new record for riding on empty 103 km or 65 mi, I think it's the altitude because my last best on a tank was 480 km has now been raised to 510 km or 318 mi.

Day 43

Made my way to Zion N.P. and am currently staying in a $95 motel room for only $75, I was lucky to bargain with the owner that I was on budget and had no more to give, so he gave me the room and a free breakfast to boot , earlier I had tried all the camping's with no luck and was ready give up on this area and move on, but persistence paid off.
Tomorrow explore Zion or The Promise Land as they call it here, this will be in the very early morning or face the extreme heat, will see what time I have after all this but will start my way towards LA California or the Sequoia N.P.

Jeff

Super Tenere screwed with this post 08-14-2013 at 10:26 PM
Super Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #182
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 44

Zion National Park is just full of wonders to see and the pictures do not do it justice.
Started early this morning before the heat and the mad crowds that swarm this place, according to the info some 3 million per year and that just kind of ruins it for me, the natural sounds of the surroundings gets trampled out by the noisy crowds, but being early made it worth while. First the shuttle bus will take you through the canyon and stop about 6 times to let you out so that you can walk the paths from there, I did the, Weeping Rock and the Court of Patriarchs, because they where short and I just wanted to take it easy with my knee until it doesn’t hurt any more. Did the drive in yesterday from the top down into the canyon, so here are some of the pictures.

After lunch looked at the weather map and the heat is just insane to the south, so California here I come for some cooler temps, the Sequoia National Park sound good for now.

Jeff
Old 08-16-2013, 05:17 AM   #183
moc_junior
Moacir Junior (BRA)

Oddometer: 13
Have a nice trip, my friend!

It's very good to follow you :-)
moc_junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #184
Icy Roads
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Be there in November

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tenere View Post
Hey Icy Roads, they are and the picture does not do it justice, you will just have to go and see for yourself, also fond out that I missed the Corkscrew trail from Ouray, so something for next time I guess.

Jeff
I have a place in Phoenix for the winters so I'll be checking that road out soon.....
Old 08-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #185
ReadyFreddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Hey Jeff
I'm glad that you are doing well. So sorry to hear about the spills and the knee. Puts it all in perspective when you're in the middle of nowhere and you have to handle 1000 lbs of bike n gear by yourself.
Persevere my friend, you are on a "mission from God"...your vignettes are very heart-warming to read. We just came back from riding Cape Breton Highlands and it is easy to question the meaning of life when you enter the challenges of the elements whilst being surrounded by such beauty and grandeur. The answers are within sight, but the questions are unlimited!!
Take care my friend.
Anthony
ReadyFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #186
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by moc_junior View Post
Have a nice trip, my friend!

It's very good to follow you :-)
Thanks for following along moc_junior, it make the road less lonesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Roads View Post
I have a place in Phoenix for the winters so I'll be checking that road out soon.....
Looks like a plan Icy Roads.

Jeff
Old 08-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #187
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
Hey Jeff
I'm glad that you are doing well. So sorry to hear about the spills and the knee. Puts it all in perspective when you're in the middle of nowhere and you have to handle 1000 lbs of bike n gear by yourself.
Persevere my friend, you are on a "mission from God"...your vignettes are very heart-warming to read. We just came back from riding Cape Breton Highlands and it is easy to question the meaning of life when you enter the challenges of the elements whilst being surrounded by such beauty and grandeur. The answers are within sight, but the questions are unlimited!!
Take care my friend.
Anthony
Thanks Anthony, the road less traveled is so full of beauty, it sometimes gets deep into your soul and is overwhelming at times, I hope to find the answers I seek before the end of this trip.

Followed your Cape Breton ride and looks like you had lots of fun on that one, this is of course what really matters in life.

Jeff
Old 08-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #188
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 45

Made it to a Camping in Caliente, NV yesterday and decided for today that area 51 would need to be unravelled by yours truly, Hwy 375 or better know as the Extraterrestrial Highway and goes through area 51.

I figure if there are any Aliens out there I for sure will find one, well I fond one and he was occupied with something else so he left me alone as I took the picture, but I swear he looked upset after so I took off like the wind. Now don't be shocked because this guy is huge and all I can say is that we are royally screwed if more come

Hwy 375 is 160 Miles long with nothing ells than desert except for halfway down is the Little AleInn that was made famous for being in some alien movie, don't know which one but if you recognize it let me know.

They towed this little saucer home and they say it was from Krypton?

While having breakfast at the AleInn in come two hippies Tom and Caroline from Nevada riding an 1978 HD FXS Low Rider 93CID with over 1 million miles on it according to Tom, he has had it from new and he has rebuilt it more times than he can remember, these guys have been everywhere on that thing, no picture allowed of them but the bike was OK, later down the road I was going 75MPH and they passed me going at least 100, hippies ya gotta love em.

Currently at State Campground Lower Lee Vining just before the Yosemite National Park, tomorrow morning will check that out before continuing to the Sequoia N.P.

Jeff
Old 08-17-2013, 07:11 PM   #189
sloj0
uber n00b

Oddometer: 30
Did you ride down into Monument Valley itself?

It was a bit of a pain with all the sand but worth it.

All your pictures are bringing back good memories, it's such a diversely beautiful part of the world. I wanna go back there now.
sloj0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #190
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloj0 View Post
Did you ride down into Monument Valley itself?

It was a bit of a pain with all the sand but worth it.

All your pictures are bringing back good memories, it's such a diversely beautiful part of the world. I wanna go back there now.
Hey sloJ0, RV's and Motorcycles not allowed only the tour buses or you had to be riding some 4X4 drive Jeep, sorry.

Jeff
Old 08-18-2013, 09:03 AM   #191
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 46

Yosemite National Park is best known for it's Waterfalls and the Granite mountains that attract rock climbers from all around the world, the roads going through are twisty and in great condition, plus the scenery is beautiful.

Spent some time walking the short trails only to find that the waterfalls are all dried up or just barely a trickle coming down because of the drought they are having here, so decided to go up to Glacier Point and see that instead, this is a great ride up and down the mountain and Glacier Point is very impressive, there is a telescope at the lookout and you could see the rock climbers standing on the very top tip of it.

Tomorrow Sequoia National Park.

Jeff
Old 08-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #192
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 47 48

Day 47

Stayed at the South Yosemite KOA camping Saturday night and as you would have it they played Avatar as there feature film, that's nice I thought but this morning a lady walks past me and says your riding that beast, of all the things she could have said but that, so I guess this hasn't completely played it self out yet.

The road into Sequoia is great and has absolutely the most twist's and switchback's back to back I have ridden so far in one stretch. Made some video and will have to see how that turned out.

The Sequoia tree's are enormous, did take the tour and did look at the largest tree on earth by volume The General Sherman, standing 275' tall with a circumference of 103' and only 2200 years old, made all this very impressive but did not have the same impact as that lonesome Cedar standing in absolute isolation whereas these tree's have a army of Rangers taking care of them.

Day 48

Camped in the park at Dorst Creek because of the elevation being 6720', this made it nice and cool but not cold, plus you could hear the tree's whispering in the wind, very tranquil and the thunderstorm passing in the night made for a great sleep.

Today will go more toward the west coast and see what I can find.

Jeff
Old 08-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #193
brian2tall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tenere View Post
Day 47

Stayed at the South Yosemite KOA camping Saturday night and as you would have it they played Avatar as there feature film, that's nice I thought but this morning a lady walks past me and says your riding that beast, of all the things she could have said but that, so I guess this hasn't completely played it self out yet.

The road into Sequoia is great and has absolutely the most twist's and switchback's back to back I have ridden so far in one stretch. Made some video and will have to see how that turned out.

Jeff

You are living the dream my friend, That road looks absolutely amazing. Hope you find what ever it is you are looking for on this adventure and come back home safe. I am presently without my ride as my alternator has left me stranded one more time. Will be looking to up grade once I have it fixed, so there may be a cross trail in my future. more than likely not. happy trails Brian.
brian2tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #194
brian2tall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Cool2

Hwy 375 is 160 Miles long with nothing ells than desert except for halfway down is the Little AleInn that was made famous for being in some alien movie, don't know which one but if you recognize it let me know.

They towed this little saucer home and they say it was from Krypton?

Jeff[/QUOTE]

Not sure about the restaurant but the saucer looks like the one from the first MIB (men in black) movie
brian2tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:54 PM   #195
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian2tall View Post
You are living the dream my friend, That road looks absolutely amazing. Hope you find what ever it is you are looking for on this adventure and come back home safe. I am presently without my ride as my alternator has left me stranded one more time. Will be looking to up grade once I have it fixed, so there may be a cross trail in my future. more than likely not. happy trails Brian.
Thanks Brian, to bad about your bike maybe your good for a HD now . I'm sure you will be able to fix it and have some more fun on that bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian2tall View Post
Not sure about the restaurant but the saucer looks like the one from the first MIB (men in black) movie
You could be on to something about the saucer, did find on Wikipedia some info on the Little AleInn:
It is featured in The X-Files season six episode "Dreamland II", in Louis Theroux's Weird Weekends season one episode 2 - "UFO's" and in the film Paul.[3]

Jeff