Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #241
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsc View Post
We just read about your crash Jeff, I hope it's not too bad and you get better quick!

Also thanks for the detailed ferry info, we're going to hop on tomorrow and it's coming in handy!
Thanks Paul you will probably meet Dave (DRRambler) on the ferry, save ride to both of you.

Jeff
Super Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #242
NomadicOne
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Obviously, I felt super crappy about rear ending Jeff and seeing him in pain on the ground. I can't count how many times I apologized. I'm usually in a staggered position behind him but I think the combination of narrow streets and crowding car on the right side prevented me from staggering so I was lined up behind and somewhat closer to than usual so we could cross intersections together. I was horrified when I saw him stop quickly and I applied both brakes but kept sliding on the sand into him.

Here's where the accident took place:

Him feeling better after some rest, water and iburprofin:

As Jeff noted, the locals around were amazing in helping me lift up his bike. Move him into a shaded area and check up on him. After the initial shock and heat, Jeff seemed good enough to continue on to Manzanillo about 25-30km away. His bike suffered minimal damage with a broken right peg and a broken side reflector (might be from the bike pick-up) but mine suffered substantial damage to the windscreen mounting points. I had cracked both fairing at the mounting points back on my Trans-Lab 2011 trip and had used ABS epoxy and a piece of steel to clamp both sides rather than spending a fortune on new side fairings. I also got a new front panel carrier due to snaps on both left and right side. After this collision both windshield mounting brackets snapped off from the fairing and there was a crack in the centre piece of the panel carrier.

I tried JB welding the cracks on the side fairings and putting duct tape back on the next day before remounting the windshield brackets. I have the metal clamp for the right side and put that back on but not for the left. The right side actually looks decent but the left is bent under the pressure of the windshield bracket which is slightly behind the mounting point.

JB weld right fairing cracks at windshield mounting point then duct tape applied:

Crack on the centre of front panel carrier not looking good. Will try and JB weld that today.

All of this is temporary fix and will probably need to take it into a repair shop or ultimately a new front panel carrier. The pressure from the wind is not the issue on these mounting points but rather potholes and speed bumps. It held up well enough for Manzanillo to Zihuatanejo but not sure how long it would hold past Oaxaca or Villahermosa.

At this point, Jeff's knee is not looking too bad but he's got a swollen ankle. He's got my supply of ibuprofin and looks like he'll heal quickly hopefully. My bike seems to have taken on more serious damage than him! I'm glad he seems to be doing okay and it's not more serious. I'm keeping more distance and forcing a staggered/blocking position.

NomadicOne screwed with this post 09-08-2013 at 11:21 AM
NomadicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #243
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper-CMC View Post
Outch!!!!... you're gonna feel that in the morning!

Keep ice on that knee Jeff. You gotta' stop pounding the crap out of that knee dude! Hopefully you don't have anything too serious going on with it.

I might suggest you find a pharmacy and see if you can get a neoprene knee support and maybe a reusable ice pack and a folding cane or walking stick for walking around. Stuff the ice pack in the brace to keep the swelling down if you can or use the elastic bandage to hold it there.

Let us know if you need anything that can help.

Greg
Thanks Greg it's always great to hear from you guys back at home. The knee is hurting less this morning but the ankle is fairly swollen, I guess it was hit harder this time. I'm hoping the swelling goes down and that's all it is, but your right about not getting hurt anymore, don't need it.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian2tall View Post
Feeling your pain buddy. Hope its just another sprain. Glad it wasn't too serious an accident. How is Wei and how are the bikes? Still following daily with anticipation of your progress. Hope this doesn't keep you from your goals.
Hey buddy glad your still along and you know me it will take some serious shit to keep me down.
The Bikes are a bit more scratched and my right hwy peg broke, will need to replace it, and Wei has cracked part of his fairing and will need some repairs to strengthen it up, other then that all is well

Jeff

Super Tenere screwed with this post 09-08-2013 at 11:45 AM
Old 09-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #244
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 67 68

Day 67

Today cloudy overcast with some drizzle and my ankle and knee hurt a bit less so we thought of taking it easy but once we hit the road it was a good feeling of lets see how far we can get, even though we started verily late 11:30am, we went back on the Hwy 200 along the west coast and the mountains, and ended in Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo.

Most of this part is again a beautiful twisty ride with here and there some construction going on but not to bad.

We also were stopped by the militia and all they could look at was our cameras on top of our helmets, the guy interrogating me pointing up and saying something in Spanish and me yes yes camera recording, they stepped back and waved us through, phew what a relief the guns looked very intimidating, I think the camera is a good way to get you through these things faster.

Day 68

Today is a rest day, at Hotel-Villas Las Azucenas we are on the beach and for only 600 pesos or $48 and then divide by two, not bad.

Tomorrow further along Hwy 200 and Acapulco.

Jeff Limpalittleless
Old 09-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #245
brian2tall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Rest Day

Looks like you found the perfect spot to recuperate. Good to see you are still making progress. Can't beat duct tape & JB weld to keep things in place. Red Green would be proud!!
brian2tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:51 AM   #246
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 69

Made it to Acapulco today in hot sticky weather, the ride was not as interesting as the last few days and has way to many towns with the speed bumps, take the toll road if you want to make good time. This is one crazy town to drive through, the traffic is nuts and much like driving in some European cities so no problem. If you like playing punch buggy and play it here most likely you will be black and blue within the first hour, man what a lot of VW Beatles riding around.

Was able to find another 600 peso deal at Hotel Marbella, but most of the time you have to haggle with the owner/receptionist to get these kind of deals, at first it was 850 so I offered 500 they came back at 750 and I offer 600 or I walk, done, lucky for us it is the slow season at the moment and you can do this, if it was the high season and that will be around December you can forget about doing this.

Jeff
Old 09-10-2013, 06:09 AM   #247
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian2tall View Post
Looks like you found the perfect spot to recuperate. Good to see you are still making progress. Can't beat duct tape & JB weld to keep things in place. Red Green would be proud!!
Hey buddy this was a good find on the beach, we had tried two other places before this one and was not able to get a good price on those.
The JB weld works wonders and then add duct tape and it's just short of a miracle.

Jeff
Old 09-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #248
Tripper-CMC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Map of the trip....

Trip map updated.... it can be found at:
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...Y.k9meEa6vG6F4
...if you want a quick historical look at Jeff's stops along his journey..
Tripper-CMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #249
lukeman
Cool Hand

Oddometer: 436
Good stuff guys, keep it up. Look forward to Guatemala, its fantastic! Actually it all is.
Currently: 04 Tiger 955i | 85 BMW K100RT stripped
lukeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #250
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper-CMC View Post
Trip map updated.... it can be found at:
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...Y.k9meEa6vG6F4
...if you want a quick historical look at Jeff's stops along his journey..
Thanks Greg, can't thank you enough for doing this.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeman View Post
Good stuff guys, keep it up. Look forward to Guatemala, its fantastic! Actually it all is.
Thanks lukeman for coming along.

Jeff
Old 09-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #251
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 70

Today started with us getting flagged down by police because they said we ran a stop light, never did see the darn thing. We both pulled over but Wei was closer to the Cop and he made Wei sweat for a few moments before giving him a warning to be more careful, did someone just say horseshoe up our ass, just wait till you read the rest of this.

More nice and twisty roads today but the last four hours before we made Puerto Escondido it started to rain and I mean poring rain like some fire engine crew with all the hoses pointed at you, man did it come down, needless to say not a thread left dry, if you did not zipper bag lock it on you it was wet and if the rain isn't enough when the trucks coming at you pass and there is about 2” of water or more on the road it makes for a small tidal wave hitting you, wham, this is bad enough if your in a car but on the bike it's a whole new experience, all I can say is don't ride with your mouth open. Horseshoe my ass indeed.

Jeff
Old 09-11-2013, 04:11 AM   #252
grahamspc
Smitty

Oddometer: 132
How is your gear holding up in that kind of rain???refresh my memory what kind of jacket /pants /boots are you wearing??
grahamspc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:37 AM   #253
panchogarrancho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
When in Nicaragua if you need any help stop by Triumph Nicaragua,we stock ADV goodies like tires and provide maintenance to all brands
panchogarrancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #254
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamspc View Post
How is your gear holding up in that kind of rain???refresh my memory what kind of jacket /pants /boots are you wearing??
Hey grahamspc, my 3 year old tour Master transition 2 jacket, new Rev-It Cheyenne pants, and 2 year old Triumph Tri-Tex boots, I had to reseal the jacket with tent spray and after washing the pants same thing, sadly when you get a wall of water over you nothing stays dry, otherwise fairly dry in normal rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panchogarrancho View Post
When in Nicaragua if you need any help stop by Triumph Nicaragua,we stock ADV goodies like tires and provide maintenance to all brands
Great to know panchogarrancho, will drop by when in the neighborhood.

Jeff

Super Tenere screwed with this post 09-12-2013 at 06:40 AM
Old 09-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #255
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 71

Today from Puerto Escondido to Oaxaca we did take Hwy 131 and this is one twisty road through the mountains, the rain did cause several landslides that covering the road, luckily enough space to get through the 258 km stretch did take 6hrs to do and of course the last hour in the rain again, but this time not wanting to get wet I stopped and put on my Hog Togs.
Also past the 26,000 km mark or 16,250 Mi for this trip on the way to Oaxaca, can't belief it's been 10 weeks on the road.

Tomorrow will be Oaxaca the ancient city discovery day and I hope that my leg can hold up to this, if it works I will have some good pictures to post.

Jeff