Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 12:54 AM   #256
Super Dave Hawaii
Ain't Dead Yet!

Oddometer: 222
[QUOTE=Super Tenere;22310623]Today from Puerto Escondido to Oaxaca we did take Hwy 131 and this is one twisty road through the mountains, the rain did cause several landslides that covering the road, luckily enough space to get through the 258 km stretch did take 6hrs to do and of course the last hour in the rain again, but this time not wanting to get wet I stopped and put on my Hog Togs.
Also past the 26,000 km mark or 16,250 Mi for this trip on the way to Oaxaca, can't belief it's been 10 weeks on the road.

Tomorrow will be Oaxaca the ancient city discovery day and I hope that my leg can hold up to this, if it works I will have some good pictures to post.

Just caught up with your trip. Awesome report! I was down that way thirty years ago. It was great then and looks to be as nice now.
Ride On!
Dave
Old 09-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #257
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,720
Great stuff, awesome ride

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #258
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Oddometer: 326
[QUOTE=Super Dave Hawaii;22311325]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tenere View Post
Just caught up with your trip. Awesome report! I was down that way thirty years ago. It was great then and looks to be as nice now.
Ride On!
Dave
Thanks Dave, this has been a great experience so far. Glad your liking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animo View Post
Great stuff, awesome ride
Thanks Animo for coming along.

Jeff
Super Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #259
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 72

This morning we drove up to see the Ancient Zapotec Capital of Monte Alban and we did the guided tour for 250 pesos, our guide was really good in explaining the history and how things were built, this was well worth the money. This place dates back to around 500 BC and at it's peak around 700 AD had about 25,000 people living there just before it's demise. Makes you wonder though if history will repeat itself, because we still haven’t learned sustainability.

Was offered many trinkets from lots of people that are trying to sell there stuff here, but at the end was approached by this ancient looking guy in the towns squire of Monte Alban and he said this is for you and it was the Owl that had swooped down at me, had to buy this of course, just too coincidental.

Later this afternoon I walked to Iglesia de Santo Domingo built in 1580 for the Dominican monastery by some of the best artisans of the time, even though Oaxaca has been destroyed twice by earthquakes this building has survived because of it's immensely thick stone walls.

The hallway inside the building.

Oaxaca street.

After all the walking my leg does hurt and will need a bit of rest and some ibuprofen to feel better again.

Jeff

Super Tenere screwed with this post 09-12-2013 at 04:35 PM
Old 09-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #260
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 73 74

Day 73

Another wet day from Oaxaca to Juchitan de Zaragoza we went over the free Hwy 190 which is a beautiful twisty road along some of the greenest of green mountains around.

Day 74

Followed Hwy 190 further from Juchitan to San Cristobal de Las Casas in the poring rain again but now with several washouts along the way, almost lost it in one of the washouts when I hit a hole under the water, was able to put me feet down and catch the bike from tipping over but that also had the effect that now my boots were full to the rim, not much good all the water proofing did.

Than we hit a lineup of cars and trucks that were stopped by a local protest action, we went past the whole convoy to the front of the line and stopped, looking at the friendly demonstrators I started asking if anyone could tell me what it was about and I said that I would video it (which I did), one of the young ladies was able to tell me that the protect action was for reform of the education system, so as much as things are different in this country something's are the same.

After they had there giggles about being on film they fond us to be so nice and we could pass the blockade with our bikes if we wanted, did not wait to hear that twice, back to the bike's and away.
We than took the toll road further because the rain was now coming down in buckets so most likely more washouts or god knows what.

In San Cristobal we fond the Rossco hostel that has a special 2 for 1 for bikers (stay one night and get the second for free) also includes free breakfast, wifi, hot showers and free parking, private rooms are 500 pesos or you can go for the dorm for even cheaper, this place is clean and is close to the centre of town, .the owner rides a motorcycle of course and that's why the special.

Through the clouds to San Cristobal.

Tomorrow taking the free day and watching the big Mexican celebration take place.

Jeff
Old 09-17-2013, 06:39 AM   #261
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 75 76

Day 75

Spent the day in San Cristobal for the Mexican Independence day celebration, walked the market area and the towns busy streets. The town was filled with people and very lively, reminded me a lot of the old gobble stone streets downtown in Holland where they would have the same walking only areas and markets; had a great day.

Day 76

Nice sunny day with temps in the high 20' c and another beautiful twisty road through the mountains towards Palenque, had to wait 4 hours for a road block that was setup for the protest for school reform, this was a total drag standing there in the hot sun and with all the towns people coming at us and asking all the usual questions of course, at the end had to pay a donation (10 pesos) for there cause and off we went.

Tomorrow heading towards Chetumal.

Jeff
Old 09-17-2013, 09:00 PM   #262
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 77

Was able to make the booking and will be sailing from Panama to Cartagena, Colombia on 12 October on the Independence, this is a four day sailing trip and lets hope that there are no storms at that time.

Today was a great ride over the flat and fairly straight road from Palenque to Chetumal and was a welcome relief from the twisty roads that we have been doing the last few weeks, kind of weird though back at home I would do anything to get off the straight road but after 3 weeks of not being able to ride one single piece of road in a straight line and at speeds not greater that 80km tops today's road was great for a change, speeds at 120km/h, wow we are flying, at least for today.

Staying at Gringo Dave's Cabina's on Laguna Milagros that is just before Chetumal for 300 pesos, here is his link: http://www.gringodaves.com/ check it out. Will take some pictures before we leave.

Tomorrow off to Orange Walk in Belize, if we make the border crossing.

Jeff
Old 09-18-2013, 01:09 AM   #263
far
ADVreader

Oddometer: 135
Great update and looks like you are fine from the crash

how is your bike doing if you don't report any trouble is because is bulletproof or you just keep to yourself, I will like to know more about your SuperT on yours own words
far is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:23 AM   #264
Kedgi
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Thumb Hello from Kedgi

Hello Jeff

I just found your ride report this morning. I spent the morning getting caught up and I'm subscribed.

You seem to be holding up well in spite of the crash. Great ride report so far! I'm looking forward to more. You're making me wish I was down there. I loved the Hwy 190 in Mexico too.

Kedgi

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832336
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:17 AM   #265
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
glad i found your ride report
it is awesome and i really appreciate you sharing it with us.
thanks for updating every single day... that is AWESOME
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:44 AM   #266
Mr.Meaner
n00b

Oddometer: 8
sailing

Hi Jeff,
Was booking a boat from Panama much of a hassle or are there plenty of them available and willing to transport a bike and rider? Always considered getting past the Darian Gap as one of the biggest road blocks to S.A. or am I wrong?
Enjoining the trip with you so far!

Keep Safe,
Rick
Mr.Meaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #267
BcDano
One Lucky Dude

Oddometer: 300
Hi Jeff,

Great looking ride report. Looks like you will be just a little behind us is SA. Look froward to connecting at some point.
BcDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #268
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 833
Hey Jeff,
glad to hear the leg is doing okay. We got turned around on 131 heading south the other day and had to go back to Oaxaca (not a bad thing). I rode down 175 yesterday and it was just great. There were hundreds of spots that had been cleared of landslides.

I'm about 10 days behind you, planning on being in Chetumal Sept 28th

D
DRRambler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #269
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by far View Post
Great update and looks like you are fine from the crash

how is your bike doing if you don't report any trouble is because is bulletproof or you just keep to yourself, I will like to know more about your SuperT on yours own words
Hey Far, the leg still hurts but is getting better everyday, just have to be careful how I step.
The S10 is one awesome bike, all the falls and beating it has taken with stride, won't say much more because I don't want to jinx it.

Jeff
Old 09-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #270
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Hello Jeff

I just found your ride report this morning. I spent the morning getting caught up and I'm subscribed.

You seem to be holding up well in spite of the crash. Great ride report so far! I'm looking forward to more. You're making me wish I was down there. I loved the Hwy 190 in Mexico too.

Kedgi

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832336
Wow this is great to hear from you Kedgi, I did follow your ride last year and you are a straight shooter with your stories, loved all of it.

Leg getting better and just hope not to crash any more.

Mexico has some really great roads and some that are absolutely crap, but the 190 is great and by far the longest twisty road I have ever done.

Thanks for coming along Kedgi.

Jeff