Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2013, 05:16 AM   #286
Kedgi
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tenere View Post
Thanks Kedgi, the hostal is a really cool place to hang out, lots of backpackers and ex pats coming to the restaurant, had some great conversations and tasty food. You can take the boat from the hostal to Livingston through what they call here the Guatemala Grand Canyon.
Maybe a good place to go to next time?

Jeff
I have a friend who lives in Key West, Fl, He did that boat trip out to Livingston and really enjoyed it.

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #287
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
I have a friend who lives in Key West, Fl, He did that boat trip out to Livingston and really enjoyed it.

Kedgi
I was planning to do it but was turned off by some of the reviews, had a nice rest day on the water instead.

Jeff
Super Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #288
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 84

We wanted to go to Danli from El Progreso but not take the main Hwy so we went through the beautiful mountainous back road Hwy 23/43 and some unknown road: http://goo.gl/maps/C9cTM The first part of this road is dodging potholes and that’s not to bad and then there is a 55km stretch of hard packed dirt/gravel with boulders and 1 bolder water crossing, a real nice challenge for most. Just as you think this will never end your rewarded with a brand new piece of super smooth tarmac twisting and turning through the mountains, with no traffic on it, absolutely nothing, just you in the wind and the sound of your purring engine, this was like riding in paradise.

The scenery is stunning with the mountains looking like a beautiful patchwork of greens, absolutely magnificent.

Tomorrow taking the border crossing at Las Manos into Nicaragua.

Jeff
Old 09-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #289
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,447
Love the style and pace of your journey, there is something peaceful and calming about it. ...so if you don't mind, I'll continue to enjoy the story as you go along.

Continued safe and fun travels, :)
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #290
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
Love the style and pace of your journey, there is something peaceful and calming about it. ...so if you don't mind, I'll continue to enjoy the story as you go along.

Continued safe and fun travels, :)
Thanks oalvarez, happy to have you come along and enjoy the ride.

Jeff

Super Tenere screwed with this post 09-26-2013 at 06:23 PM
Old 09-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #291
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 85 86

Day 85

Border crossing at Las Manos into Nicaragua.

At Immigration (Migracion) get your exit stamp and pay $60 Quetzales.
Go to Customs (Aduana) get an exit paper that you need to fill in yourself (it's in Spanish and English) and your import paper with a copy of it stamped, they keep this and you get a stamp in your passport.
Ride past chain barrier and on the right get your bike fumigated for free.
Ride across to the left and get your entry paper, this will be filled out by Immigration officer, you get no stamp in passport just a receipt of the $12 US that you need to pay.
Get your bike import paper filled out by Customs officer, the officer will hand you this piece of paper and ask that you have the bike inspected and then bring the paper back with the inspectors signature on it, when you have this they will hand you 1 copy of it for you to keep.
Ride up about 100' and pay a $1 US tourist fee and get bike insurance for $12US
Ride up to chain barrier for final check point and your off.

The border crossing did take about two hrs to complete, but was verily simple and no handlers needed.

Ended the day in Matagalpa and staying at The Naked Gringo BB for $35 US. The owner Johnny is from Seattle, Washington and has ventured all the way out here to try something new., and all we can say for now is this place is great.

Day 86

Have been making really good time the last couple of days so we will stay in Matagalpa for another day and explore this beautiful area.
Today started with Johnny prepared an excellent breakfast for us this morning and it was too much to finish and that says something.
After breakfast we headed up the mountainside to Selva Negra (Schwarzwald) resort founded by German Immigrants back in the late 1800s to help develop the coffee industry, had fresh ecologically produced coffee, straight from this place and what a difference this is in taste, unbelievable good.
Continued on the twisty JM15 road through the mountains and looped back toward Matagalpa for a nice relaxing afternoon.

Old burnt out tank from the Sandinista revolution stands at the Selva Negra turn off.

Some more stunning country side.

Jeff
Old 09-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #292
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 87 88

Day 87

Woke up with the smell of another fantastic breakfast being made by Johnny from the Naked Gringo, this is absolutely a great place to stay. We had parked our bikes the first day at the secure parking that is 1 street down, but fond this a real hassle to get the bikes out since the lot is vertically challenged and the lot has broken chunks of cement combined with boulders/rocks, on day two we parked under the balcony of the Naked Gringo and put our covers over the bikes, we had seen that there are a lot security guards in this area, because of the pharmacy and would recommend this to anyone going there.

Had a nice short drive from Matagalpa to Granada and checked in at The Backyard Hostel for $12.
Late afternoon headed into town and stopped at the Dona Elba where they hand made a cigar in front of us, needed to have one of course in there special smoking parlour (don't worry did not inhale) where we could enjoy the aroma of these beautifully crafted cigars.
Granada towns square

Day 88

Stayed in Granada today and walked to the towns square and the market area, before heading to Lake Nicaragua, did come back early and had a good nap (siesta).
Market fair in Granada.

Have been bothered the last two days with a head cold that is screwing with my sinuses, have been drinking more with some extra orange juice and hope this goes over quickly, other then that my leg is getting slowly better and I can walk a bit more everyday.
Lake Nicaraqua.

Tomorrow off to San Juan Del Sur and enjoy the beach I hope.

Jeff
Old 09-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #293
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,412
Nice

Enjoying the write up and the pics. Do you get to interact much with the locals? Spanish required? Seems like a lot of ex-pats from N. America have set up camp and are taking care of travelers.
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #294
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbh40a View Post
Enjoying the write up and the pics. Do you get to interact much with the locals? Spanish required? Seems like a lot of ex-pats from N. America have set up camp and are taking care of travelers.
Thanks tvbh40a, the more Spanish you know the better, my Spanglish with sign language combined is for most readable, but most places have someone around that can speak a little English when all else fails. You will find a lot of foreigners including ex-pats around here and that helps also

Jeff
Old 09-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #295
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 89

Small drive to San Juan Del Sur, that is mostly known for great surfing and Survivor Nicaragua and Survivor Redemption Island that starred Russel Hantz and Rob Mariano. Watched a lot of Survival shows over the years but those were my favourites and know being able to stand here on there Beach is a thrill. I'm glad I have seen this now because this little town that it still is, is about to become invaded by the Island Princess Cruise Ship and many more for the first time and will mostly never be the same after. The actual Yankee Beach (Playa El Yankee) that they filmed on is a few km's south of the town.
The towns Beach.

Small surf shop.

Tomorrow crossing the border with Costa Rica and from what we have heard it's going to be a tough one.

Jeff
Old 09-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #296
ravinerat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Well I just read through all the RR and it was awesome. Just couldn't put it down. Nice to see the budget is working out and the body is holding up despite a few set backs. You have really inspired me to do some long distance Adventure Riding. I look forward to reading more.

RR
Old 09-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #297
ReadyFreddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Hey Jeff,
Anthony Checking in. I read your posts every two days or so. I love following your trip and read intently on your interactions in trying to maneuver around the things that you need to in order to keep moving.
I am glad that you are in an area that let's you recover somewhat from traveling pains, but take care, My Friend, the road is long in front of you and be sharp for what lies ahead.
I wish you well and I am by your side in spirit!!
Cheers
Anthony
ReadyFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #298
airchuk
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
unless you bath in Deet don't do that, I don't know how in the world you would be able to set-up camp and not be eaten up first
My bottle of Deet followed me EVERYWHERE. When I was in BC in early July I even had to spray Deet on the INSIDE of my helmet before I could strap it on.
airchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #299
NomadicOne
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by airchuk View Post
My bottle of Deet followed me EVERYWHERE. When I was in BC in early July I even had to spray Deet on the INSIDE of my helmet before I could strap it on.
During my Trans-Lab ride, I used a trick I learnt from some ADVrider thread. Spin around in circles a few times (to get the mosquitoes/black flies away) and then put the helmet on. Much better than having the smell of Deet inside the helmet.
NomadicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #300
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravinerat View Post
Well I just read through all the RR and it was awesome. Just couldn't put it down. Nice to see the budget is working out and the body is holding up despite a few set backs. You have really inspired me to do some long distance Adventure Riding. I look forward to reading more.

RR
Thanks ravinerat, glad to have you along and enjoying the ride.

Jeff