Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 11:20 PM   #301
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
Hey Jeff,
Anthony Checking in. I read your posts every two days or so. I love following your trip and read intently on your interactions in trying to maneuver around the things that you need to in order to keep moving.
I am glad that you are in an area that let's you recover somewhat from traveling pains, but take care, My Friend, the road is long in front of you and be sharp for what lies ahead.
I wish you well and I am by your side in spirit!!
Cheers
Anthony
Thanks Anthony, glad to hear that your still following and enjoying it. Without this kind of support the road would be to long.

Jeff
Old 10-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #302
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Deet

Quote:
Originally Posted by airchuk View Post
My bottle of Deet followed me EVERYWHERE. When I was in BC in early July I even had to spray Deet on the INSIDE of my helmet before I could strap it on.
Good idea airchuck, I wasn't ready for that at the time.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicOne View Post
During my Trans-Lab ride, I used a trick I learnt from some ADVrider thread. Spin around in circles a few times (to get the mosquitoes/black flies away) and then put the helmet on. Much better than having the smell of Deet inside the helmet.
Thanks NomadicOne, this idea is even better and would have done it had I known.

Jeff
Old 10-01-2013, 11:30 PM   #303
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 90 91

Day 90

After 2 hrs we finally crossed into Costa Rica, which is not bad considering the stories we have heard.
Wei was able to find another great detailed border crossing report that you can find on this link: http://heyivegotanidea.wordpress.com...ua-costa-rica/

I'll need to backtrack a little on this following story so that you have some background info. When we crossed the border from Mexico into Belize a couple of days back we did meet Dan and Nancy from Wisconsin riding on a Harley with a trailer attached, as usual we chatted a bit and shared experiences from border crossings, and to which roads was best to ride, we also fond out that he was now living in Playa del Coco, Costa Rica. Dan asked if we were heading that way to come down to the CocoNutz Sports Bar and Eatery in town because he is the owner of this great place and we could hang out a bit.

So yesterday we headed to Playa del Coco and was greeted by Dan and Nancy with a heartfelt welcome, after some catching up of how thing did go for them and us, Dan asked what we were planning to do, and I said we just need to crash somewhere and was wondering about local places, without a blink of an eye Dan invites us to stay at there place and WOW what a great place this is. After swimming in the pool we had beer with pizza and some great company to share it with, Dan and Nancy are some of the nicest people that you could ever meet and I feel blessed to have encounter them. Dan is an ex-vet and was declared dead 7 times and through some miracle he came back every time, according to Dan this was because his destiny was not yet fulfilled, I think he's right.

Day 91

Today’s morning view; life does not get any better then this.

Had a nice rest day and enjoyed Playa del Coco today.
Tonight sunset from paradise.

Jeff
Old 10-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #304
GY1616
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Epic

This RR is turning into quite the epic adventure... Thanks again for taking the time to write these posts and upload photos!
GY1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #305
notguy
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hey Jeff,
Finally got a chance to read up on your trip.
Man this is interesting read. Keep safe.
Guy (CMC011)
notguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #306
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

Oddometer: 760
Hola from Colombia

When do you cross the Darien? You will love riding in Colombia it is probably the best overall for us so far. Maybe we will cross paths further south?

Sara

ADV RR Finding Freedom...World Wide Ride

Join the Adventure
Saralou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #307
Icy Roads
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Snow tomorrow

In celebration of the first snow fall I plan to go riding for an hour or two! Costa Rica looks really good from here....
Old 10-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #308
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GY1616 View Post
This RR is turning into quite the epic adventure... Thanks again for taking the time to write these posts and upload photos!
Thanks GY1616 it's my pleasure to able to write and post this.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by notguy View Post
Hey Jeff,
Finally got a chance to read up on your trip.
Man this is interesting read. Keep safe.
Guy (CMC011)
Hey Guy thanks for coming along, and glad you like it.

Jeff
Old 10-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #309
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saralou View Post
When do you cross the Darien? You will love riding in Colombia it is probably the best overall for us so far. Maybe we will cross paths further south?
Sara
Hey Saralou I have the Independence booked for Oct 12, and hope to catch you guys somewhere down the road. Nice RR from you by the way.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Roads View Post
In celebration of the first snow fall I plan to go riding for an hour or two! Costa Rica looks really good from here....
Snow what is that? I'm trying to remember what that was . Have a safe ride Icy Roads.

Jeff
Old 10-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #310
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 92

Last night we had a great dinner with Dan and Nancy and it was our treat to them, after dinner we had a fun time and ended shooting beer pong, I need not say more.

Yesterday while cruising around town I finally was able to find some Motul 5100 10w40 synthetic for an oil change, it's been 20,000 km's since the last and this would be a good time to change it. I know some of you will say that's to long but it was only 2 month's ago, so I wasn't worried about it.

Today we decided to go see the Leatherback Turtles at Marino Las Baulas, they are supposed to be coming to shore to lay there eggs around this time of the year and would have been nice to catch while we are here, but on our way there the rain started and we thought this is just one of those short lived ones; right, well the closer we got the heavier it came down and to the point where it became torrential, the road we were on first had some water coming across and that's usual around here, but the further up we went the worse it did get, by now it was rivers coming across and you could see it eating away on the road side, that's not enough to turn us around are you kidding; ha ha we laugh at this, so onward and let the fun begin, well until we encountered trees coming across the road; okay now I think we should head back while we still can, and we did, drenched of course. The Turtles will just have to wait for some other time I guess, this was not meant to be for now.

Jeff
Old 10-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #311
Mr.Meaner
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Not seeing the Leatherbacks gives reason for another run down the road. Loved Costa Rica when we visited some years back, swore we would return to see Arenal Volcano, it was shrouded in cloud when we were there. Still very much enjoying the updates...thanks and ride safe.
Rick
Mr.Meaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #312
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Meaner View Post
Not seeing the Leatherbacks gives reason for another run down the road. Loved Costa Rica when we visited some years back, swore we would return to see Arenal Volcano, it was shrouded in cloud when we were there. Still very much enjoying the updates...thanks and ride safe.
Rick
Thanks Mr.Meaner, your right, I feel another trip coming on.

Jeff
Old 10-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #313
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 93

Said goodbye to Dan and Nancy after being treated like family for the last 3 days, this was a real treat for some travelling vagabonds and we can not say enough good things about them. Had breakfast at the CocoNutz and they road a part of the way along with us to say farewell, they will stay in our memories with heartfelt gratitude, and we wish them the best of luck in all there future endeavours, because Dan isn’t done yet.

Group shot in front of the CocoNutz, Wei, Me, Dan, Nancy.

Today we headed towards the Arenal Volcano and we almost made it, the rain from the last few days caused some extreme landslides along the mountainous roads, and we made it past a few before Wei tried a new horizontal way on one, just after coming through the mud he gave a bit to much gas and down he went, luckily nothing broke. At about 20 km before the Park the road was closed due to a massive slide that happened just hours before we arrived. We feel lucky that we were not in there when it happened, and if you think that we are upset about not getting there you would be wrong, because remember the rule that there is always a reason for these things to happen when they do, our destiny lies somewhere else.

Wei seeing if his bike would go faster horizontally.

Lake Arenal shot, but after looking I see a man in the Cloud? Someone watching over us; maybe.

Jeff

Super Tenere screwed with this post 10-03-2013 at 09:20 PM
Super Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #314
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Eek Day 94 95

Day 94

Another rainy day with more landslides and swelling rivers, after looking at the road to Monteverde we decided not to chance it in the poring rain and headed towards Quepos and Manuel Antonio with the National Park that has the same name. Found lodging at the Manuel Antonio Backpackers for $12 US including breakfast.
Will stay an extra day to go see the park, if it isn’t raining.

Day 95

No rain so we walked to the park, and joined in on a park guide for $6. Did see lots of animals that you would normally not see but the guide picks them out for you and he sets-up his telescope so that you get a real good closeup look at it, very cool.

Can you spot the lizard.

Chipotle Monkeys.

After the tour you can take some of the trails to discover on your own, or stay on the beach. The guide gives you a warning thou that the return to the nearest exit will be flooded after the next hour should you decide to stay, so we thought lets do the trail with the lookout's in it and we should be able to get out on time.

Manuel Antonio NP lookout.

We did the trail and back to the exit within the hour but it was flooded anyway (the guide lied?), the choice was walk back around for 1hr to get to the other exit or take the plunge through waist hi waters. For me the choice was simple, go plunge, but Wei did not want to get the electronic stuff wet and started to go back, on the way back he decided to look at the plunge just one more time and did see some others coming across and thought that's not to bad after all and followed a bit later.

Tomorrow heading to Panama, wish us luck.

Jeff
Old 10-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #315
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 96

Today I headed to Panama alone because Wei wanted to stay another day in Costa Rica, we will meet in Panama City before I head out on the boat to Columbia.

The border crossing was a piece of cake, did take only 1 hour from start to finish. I was lucky that the people were friendly enough to point me to the right locations, and not off on some goose chase.
One thing you should know: Make sure you have $500 on you or a bank statement showing that you have enough money on it, the guy at Panama Immigration wants this before he will give you an entry stamp.

At Costa Rica exit both offices are in the same big blue and white building that is on the Left side, and I did not have to pay anything.

At the Panama side park under the big roof that covers the offices, if people hassle you for parking there just walk on as if you don't hear them and they will go away, get your entry stamp and then get insurance at the small office that is behind the building to the left when facing Panama, it says Photocopies on it, he will give you the papers and also copies of it, then go back to the building and go upstairs with your insurance paper so that the Lady there can stamp it, then back down to Aduana and hand them Insurance, Passport, Registration copy, they will do all the paper work for you, and give you a stapled bunch of papers back, with this head to the door that is behind you and next to all the chairs, this is where the Inspection guy sits, he will walk with you to the bike and you give him $2 for this service. Then get on bike and ride about 25' to the white building on the right for tourist paper and fumigation that cost $1, then off to the final border check that is about 1 km up the road.

Currently in David, Panama and staying at the Bambu Hostel for $13.

Jeff