Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #316
NomadicOne
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Good to hear the Panama border was quick. Judging by your experience, this post was correct then plus an additional $2 for the inspection guy (any receipt?) I wonder if showing the credit card would be enough too instead of $500/bank statement.

I'll hit the border tomorrow morning and either stay in David (if there's anything interesting there) or push on further.
NomadicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #317
Super Dave Hawaii
Ain't Dead Yet!

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Tenere View Post
Today I headed to Panama alone because Wei wanted to stay another day in Costa Rica, we will meet in Panama City before I head out on the boat to Columbia.

The border crossing was a piece of cake, did take only 1 hour from start to finish. I was lucky that the people were friendly enough to point me to the right locations, and not off on some goose chase.
One thing you should know: Make sure you have $500 on you or a bank statement showing that you have enough money on it, the guy at Panama Immigration wants this before he will give you an entry stamp.

At Costa Rica exit both offices are in the same big blue and white building that is on the Left side, and I did not have to pay anything.

At the Panama side park under the big roof that covers the offices, if people hassle you for parking there just walk on as if you don't hear them and they will go away, get your entry stamp and then get insurance at the small office that is behind the building to the left when facing Panama, it says Photocopies on it, he will give you the papers and also copies of it, then go back to the building and go upstairs with your insurance paper so that the Lady there can stamp it, then back down to Aduana and hand them Insurance, Passport, Registration copy, they will do all the paper work for you, and give you a stapled bunch of papers back, with this head to the door that is behind you and next to all the chairs, this is where the Inspection guy sits, he will walk with you to the bike and you give him $2 for this service. Then get on bike and ride about 25' to the white building on the right for tourist paper and fumigation that cost $1, then off to the final border check that is about 1 km up the road.

Currently in David, Panama and staying at the Bambu Hostel for $13.

Jeff
I lived in David in 1982 for a year. Nice area to explore if you have the time.
Glad to be along on your trip.
Dave
Old 10-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #318
NomadicOne
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I crossed into Panama today and this border was super easy. All done within 1 hour (Monday morning at 11am) and the post from Dan and Lisa here was spot on except for fumigation. Everyone's quite friendly and there's a guy (not a fixer, just generally helpful guy) who will direct you where to park, which offices to go to. Didn't ask for any payment or stick around to suggest.

Payment and fumigation is actually done at the white building on the right side and just before the two truck fumigation bays. There was no $2 inspection fee.

Panama Entry Process:
1. Insurance office - On the right (opposite side of street of Immigration) with Photocopias sign ($15 + photocopy of insurance page) and get issued 3 pages
2. Transito office - Above Immigration, second floor right side past the bathrooms down the hallway (papers get stamped)
3. Aduana - Hand over insurance papers, photocopies of passport and vehicle title
4. Vehicle Inspection - Get a guy in black shirt with ADUANA tag standing around to inspect the papers and vehicle (no fees)
5. Fumigation - Pull up to a small white building on the right side before the fumigation bays. There's a window for payment ($1) and someone will come out with the small fumigation machine for the bike.
6. Clipboard guy - There will be a person with STC shirt and a clipboard who will ask to check the Import paper and write some stuff in a clipboard. He also checked that I had the proper stamps in the pages so wouldn't have any issues with police later.
7. Final checkpoint - 1 km after pulling away, you'll probably be asked to pull aside at a checkpoint. They will just want to check your vehicle import paper to see that it matches and may ask what's in your luggage (Agricultural control?) I said clothes and he said I was good to go!

NomadicOne screwed with this post 10-07-2013 at 06:26 PM
NomadicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #319
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dave Hawaii View Post
I lived in David in 1982 for a year. Nice area to explore if you have the time.
Glad to be along on your trip.
Dave
Hey Dave, did see there is a lot of things to go see, but did not have the time, maybe next time around.

Jeff
Old 10-08-2013, 06:46 AM   #320
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 97 98

Day 97

Yesterday I was able to ride through the countryside of Panama, and apart from some hills and the mountains in the far background it was mostly farm country. At some spots I would swear I was back in Ontario. I did ride from David to Las Tablas on an invitation from inmate Cmnthead to stay at his place, after I confirmed with him I fond out that he's not there himself but it won't matter, he gave me directions on how to get the key and I was helped by Michelle who is a good friend of his. This is absolutely great from him to just say go ahead anyway, when travelling you meet and encounter the nicest people and I feel that I have been truly blessed during this trip.

Day98

Will stay another day here and enjoy the beach before heading to Panama City.

This mornings beach at sunrise in front of Cmnthead's place, this ones for you Phil.

Jeff
Old 10-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #321
ReadyFreddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Hey Jeff,
Thank goodness that you avoided the worse of the FORCES of nature. Rock and mudslides don't sound like anything that you want to experience first hand. Just seeing the after-effects is enough to send chills down your back. Sorry that your co-rider Wei had to dump his bike. But making light of it shows that you both have the right attitude through these challenges. I think that there is indeed a "man" watching over you in that cloud picture.
Also...Always nice to hear that the fraternity of riders is there to help one another out. I agree with you that there are good people out there along the lonely road (and sometimes paths) that you ride on, and I am glad that you are finding them, Jeff...
Take care as always and Godspeed to you and all those that you encounter along the way.
This is a great read!!
ReadyFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #322
Cmnthead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
I'm jealous

I hope your finding everything ok! Sorry I could not clean up before you got there, but I have not been there since April. Sorry about the mess.
I'm getting excited about leaving on our trip, less than a month to go now. November 7th is the date we are aiming for. My oldest boy, Cam, and I are doing the drive on my 06 GSA and his 08 XR650. I can't wait to lay in my hammock up in the rancho reading and sipping Duran coffee. Only this time it will be a 6 week trip instead of a 6 hour flight to get there
I hope all the locals treat you well and sorry I'm not there to show you around a bit.
Any questions just message me.
Behave!!

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.. H Thompson
Cmnthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #323
Super Dave Hawaii
Ain't Dead Yet!

Oddometer: 222
Isn't it amazing the people you meet in your travels? Awesome is all I can say.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #324
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
Hey Jeff,
Thank goodness that you avoided the worse of the FORCES of nature. Rock and mudslides don't sound like anything that you want to experience first hand. Just seeing the after-effects is enough to send chills down your back. Sorry that your co-rider Wei had to dump his bike. But making light of it shows that you both have the right attitude through these challenges. I think that there is indeed a "man" watching over you in that cloud picture.
Also...Always nice to hear that the fraternity of riders is there to help one another out. I agree with you that there are good people out there along the lonely road (and sometimes paths) that you ride on, and I am glad that you are finding them, Jeff...
Take care as always and Godspeed to you and all those that you encounter along the way.
This is a great read!!
Thanks Anthony, always great to hear from you.

Jeff
Old 10-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #325
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Great stay at Playa Uverito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmnthead View Post
I hope your finding everything ok! Sorry I could not clean up before you got there, but I have not been there since April. Sorry about the mess.
I'm getting excited about leaving on our trip, less than a month to go now. November 7th is the date we are aiming for. My oldest boy, Cam, and I are doing the drive on my 06 GSA and his 08 XR650. I can't wait to lay in my hammock up in the rancho reading and sipping Duran coffee. Only this time it will be a 6 week trip instead of a 6 hour flight to get there
I hope all the locals treat you well and sorry I'm not there to show you around a bit.
Any questions just message me.
Behave!!
Thanks Phil, I did behave and had a great time, words can't thank you enough for your kind generosity.

Jeff
Old 10-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #326
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dave Hawaii View Post
Isn't it amazing the people you meet in your travels? Awesome is all I can say.
Awesome is indeed the word, thanks Dave.

Jeff
Old 10-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #327
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 99

Had a great stay at Phil's place, it was very peaceful and I was able to walk along the beach for miles on end, there's nothing like the sound of the never ending waves hitting the shoreline and the salty smell in the air to clear your head, all this makes for a great relaxing day. The locals are very friendly and when I went out that night everyone was greeting me as if I belonged there, they were saying your the one staying at the Canadians place and nice to see you. Had a fantastic dinner at one of the local places for only $4.25, Panama beer cost $0.75 at the diner you can't beet that.
Sunset at Playa Uverito.

Today I headed towards Panama City and did meet another rider that is going on the same boot, so we are currently in the same Hostel Villa Vento Surf.
A shot of the City.

Jeff
Old 10-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #328
Super Tenere OP
Voyager

Day 100

The Hostel Villa Vento Surf. was booked full for today so we changed to the Mamallena Hostel, that is also run by the same booking agency as for the boat. This afternoon we headed to the Miraflores Locks and did see this marvellous wonder in operation and some small boats go through the locks, we could have waited a couple of hours for a big boat but decided to go to the Flamenco Island instead.

The Island is reachable by this long causeway and has a great view of the city from the sea point of view, plus it has a duty free zone.

Tomorrow I will take the bike to San Blas for loading onto the boat and then stay overnight on the Carti Islands. Apparently there is no Internet so for the next 6 days or until I reach Cartagena, Columbia, you will have to wait for the updates, wish me luck, bon-voyage.

Jeff
Old 10-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #329
brian2tall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Safe travels my friend. Glad to see your taking it easy before the next big step. Hope the seas are smooth and the current swift. Next stop South America.
brian2tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #330
ReadyFreddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Have a safe trip Jeff!
ReadyFreddy is offline   Reply With Quote